If you suspect you're a scam target, AARP's fraud helpline is here for you. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

American Red Cross

Message 1 of 8

I love AARP's articles, but I find AARP's relationship with the American Red Cross (ARC) to be suspect.  This is an organization that does not have an excellent rating from groups that evaluate such organizations.  (ARC's handling of the 2010 earthquake in Haiti is a prime example of the millions donated to them for relief NOT being used as ARC promised to the Haitians.) An article in the recent AARP publication has an interview with Gail McGovern, CEO and President of ARC, who makes $500,000 annually. It's extremely flattering of her & the ARC. (There have been other supportive AARP comments/articles about ARC in recent months.)

WHY is AARP promoting ARC, instead of other similar organizations, who get higher ratings by unbiased evaluators?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Red Cross clarifies donation declaration

Message 2 of 8

Yep, once upon a time - they actually did what was in their mission statement.   But that was before the days when Congress re-wrote rules defining "orgs".   

Remember when Ms. Dole's name was floated for VP...this reasons that I have addressed were part of her quick demise for that role.

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

@afisher wrote:

This is an organization that has lost it's way when they learned how to abuse the idea or "charity organization"   Now they are no better than any other ORG that uses that name to perform the hocus pocus of legal money laundering.

My experience with ARC has been decades long and I learned decades ago that they are not worth much.  There are much better organizations that handle blood and tissue donations.  They have proven time and time again that they talk a big game but when push comes to shove they haven't an effing clue how to manage a real time disaster relief program.   They failed at both Katrina and Sandy.   

I'm not a fan of the Red Cross either, but to their credit there was several times when I was in the Army that they were helpful.  I was in Germany when my Dad died and they expedited my travel back home for the funeral.  Another time when in Vietnam the representative helped with a personal problem back in the states.  But I would never donate to them and I've never donated blood to them but to other organizations.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

This is an organization that has lost it's way when they learned how to abuse the idea or "charity organization"   Now they are no better than any other ORG that uses that name to perform the hocus pocus of legal money laundering.

My experience with ARC has been decades long and I learned decades ago that they are not worth much.  There are much better organizations that handle blood and tissue donations.  They have proven time and time again that they talk a big game but when push comes to shove they haven't an effing clue how to manage a real time disaster relief program.   They failed at both Katrina and Sandy.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

Check out the numbers on Charity Navigator: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3277

It's even more damaging & a losing proposition, for an organization to compare itself to similar ones. If you scroll down the screen on Charity Navigator, it lists a lot of similar organizations with higher ratings than the American Red Cross.

Gail McGovern makes over $500K in salary. The American Red Cross is on CN's "Watch List", because its claims are being disputed.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

"....In this case, the problem with the number stems from its own tax documents. In recent years, fundraising expenses have been as high as 26 percent compared with what people donated. That doesn't even include management and overhead. Instead of 91 percent of people's money going to services, the real number could be in the 70s, or lower.

There's no way to know precisely because the Red Cross officials would not say what the new number is and would not provide a breakdown of the charity's expenses.....".

"....The current President and CEO of the American Red Cross (since 2008) is Gail J. McGovern, whose total yearly compensation for 2010 was about $1,037,000....".

I like the idea of the Red Cross a great deal, but they have been embroiled in controversy for many years now concerning what they actually spend on disaster relief, plus the high management salaries. On the other hand, they have been well-rated as a charity. I have difficulty with this organization.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

@nyadrn wrote:

Clarification of the Week
After Gail McGovern, CEO of the American Red Cross, repeatedly declared that 91 cents of every $1 donated goes toward disaster relief efforts, the organization abruptly removed the claim from its website. “The language used has not been as clear as it could have been,” the Red Cross announced, “and we are clarifying the language.” The subsequent official clarification was that 91 cents of every $1 the Red Cross spends goes for disaster relief. (NPR)

http://www.syracusenewtimes.com/news-and-blues-9/

The American Red Cross's CEO, Gail McGovern, has spelled out the organization's promise to donors repeatedly in recent years.

"Ninety-one cents of every dollar that's donated goes to our services," McGovern said in a speech at Johns Hopkins University last year. "That's world class obviously."

She said the same thing to the City Club of Cleveland in April. And the Economic Club of Indiana in June. The statement was also displayed prominently on the Red Cross's website.

Gail McGovern, the CEO and president of the American Red Cross, has repeatedly said 91 cents of every $1 goes toward disaster relief efforts. Koji Sasahara/AP hide caption

itoggle caption Koji Sasahara/AP

Gail McGovern, the CEO and president of the American Red Cross, has repeatedly said 91 cents of every $1 goes toward disaster relief efforts.

Koji Sasahara/AP

Laura Howe, Red Cross's vice president for public affairs, told a radio show in January it was one of the highest averages of any humanitarian charity.

"When you do give during the holiday season I think it's important that people know that and they can feel good about knowing that such a large portion of their dollar supports services," Howe said.

The problem is it's not true.

After questions from NPR and ProPublica, the Red Cross removed the figure from its website and said in a statement: "The language used has not been as clear as it could have been, and we are clarifying the language."

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/04/368453320/red-cross-misstates-how-donors-dollars-are-spent

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Red Cross clarifies donation declaration

Message 8 of 8

Clarification of the Week
After Gail McGovern, CEO of the American Red Cross, repeatedly declared that 91 cents of every $1 donated goes toward disaster relief efforts, the organization abruptly removed the claim from its website. “The language used has not been as clear as it could have been,” the Red Cross announced, “and we are clarifying the language.” The subsequent official clarification was that 91 cents of every $1 the Red Cross spends goes for disaster relief. (NPR)

http://www.syracusenewtimes.com/news-and-blues-9/

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Replies