Become a safer, more confident driver with the AARP Smart Driver course! Use the promo code VET and save 25% during November.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Record Number Of Native Americans Running For Office In Midterms

Message 1 of 2

@gruffstuff wrote:

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/04/625425037/record-number-of-native-americans-running-for-office-in-mid...

Record Number Of Native Americans Running For Office In Midterms

On a recent afternoon in Albuquerque, N.M., Deb Haaland sits with a thick stack of paper in front of her, calling donors to thank them for their contributions and to ask them for more money.

After winning her Democratic primary, Haaland, a member of the Pueblo of Laguna, a Native American tribe, is running for the U.S. House in a strongly Democratic district in New Mexico. That means she may soon be the first Native American woman in Congress.

"Somebody has to be the first," she says as she walks through the southeast neighborhood where her office is. "Native women, I mean we've been on the frontlines for a long, long time. Think of all the native women who have fought for treaty rights and fishing rights and all of those things."

For many years Native Americans have taken a back seat here in the U.S.  I see it here in Louisiana where the Houma have been pushed to the fringes of the swamps and marshes.  Some tribes have found fortune in gambling.  But many still say nothing or accept their fate.  My cousin has just become principle chief of the houma.  We are one of the largest tribes in Louisiana and should have a lot of political clout.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Message 2 of 2

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/04/625425037/record-number-of-native-americans-running-for-office-in-mid...

On a recent afternoon in Albuquerque, N.M., Deb Haaland sits with a thick stack of paper in front of her, calling donors to thank them for their contributions and to ask them for more money.

After winning her Democratic primary, Haaland, a member of the Pueblo of Laguna, a Native American tribe, is running for the U.S. House in a strongly Democratic district in New Mexico. That means she may soon be the first Native American woman in Congress.

"Somebody has to be the first," she says as she walks through the southeast neighborhood where her office is. "Native women, I mean we've been on the frontlines for a long, long time. Think of all the native women who have fought for treaty rights and fishing rights and all of those things."

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors