Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Ranked-choice voting will improve American democracy

Message 1 of 11

I heard another argument for ranked voting the other day. If you are canvassing and see a yard sign for your opponent, you know the opponent is the homeowner's FIRST choice but you could stop and talk to them about making you their SECOND choice on a ranked voting ballot. 

To do that, you sure don't want to be slamming their favorite candidate.  It could make elections more civil. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11

I am replying to williamb39198 but love this whole discussion.  I also believe it is time now to revisit how our whole sacred voting system is being handled. It is now being controlled by far too many outside influences.  First thing should be revisiting the Citizens United decision and how the capitalism can buy a very loud, productive voice "louder" than the people. Second should be to revisit the whole electoral college segment.  This past election cycle, I found that I did have to help two elderly family members understand the ballet so their votes wouldn't be disregarded because it was made out improperly. Perhaps that whole system, now currently being used, did infact scare away a large population (baby boomers) out of the sacred voice?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

to see a printable sample ballot, which makes it really easy to explain.

Maybe we could  have a sample election using the sample ballot.

For 2016 for example my choices would have been. 

1 Hillary Clinton - 2 Bernie Sanders - 3 Jill Stein - 4 Gary Johnson - 5 Donald Trump.

What do you think of sample ranked voting for polling in elections?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

I have been canvassing for ranked-choice voting in Massachusets for over a year.  To keep it simple, I show people a sample ballot and tell them that they can rank the candidates in order of their preference.  Votes are tallied, and if no candidate gets over 50% of the total votes, the candidate with the fewest votes is dropped and the votes of people who voted for that person are automatically transferred to their second choice.  Our organization, Voter Choice Massachusetts, has printable sample ballots, which have as many columns as candidates.  Voters can fill in one circle in each column.

Go to https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sXR5E1nSR4DtCtyqeZiJ7PB9qwagLUTF

to see a printable sample ballot, which makes it really easy to explain.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

I agree it would improve American democracy but it can be crazy difficult to explain.  We used it for the county party elections of state delegates and people were very confused. On the other hand. Americans are intelligent people and we will all find a way to explain it. 

I think the biggest benefit would be neither or any party could pander to the fringe to win elections.

Moderates, the people that could appeal to the middle in either party would have the advantage.

I also wonder how ranked voting would affect the strategy behind gerrymander districts, would the voting districts themselves change over time in response to ranked voting.

I think, maybe, ranked voting could reduce polarization in the nation, and in elected government, and as a result, lead to better government for most of the people.

The fringe will still be the fringe, but if ranked voting works the way I think it could, the fringe would not be in control of government at the federal level, and perhaps at the state level as well.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

@Richva wrote:

I agree it would improve American democracy but it can be crazy difficult to explain.  We used it for the county party elections of state delegates and people were very confused. On the other hand. Americans are intelligent people and we will all find a way to explain it. 

Rich is right - it is one one those things that looks good on paper but mass application can create more problems than it solves. It is very important to avoid "change for change sake".

It is like another topic about the advantages of mail in ballots. Yet the headline in today's paper says, "Mail Vote Open To Fraud". 

And I am again reminded of McCian-Feingold which was going to take the money out of politics. Things have to be looked at very, very deeply

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

@gruffstuff

It’s certainly worth consideration. Maybe we need voting reform! When we consider the effects of gerrymandering, the electoral college, voting rights, preventing minorities from voting, voting machines, delegates and super delegates, and even the imbalance of Senate seats for voter representation. 

I also have considered and been a long time supporter of 

“one person, one vote”!

Wouldn’t that be fair? And American. 

Let’s help support good voting options. 

Never Forget

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

I need to look into this more. We had a very tight local election here and the primary winner only won by about 300 votes. The second place person was a Trump-like candidate — a business person who inherited money, and who made  more money with a questionable disability insurance product that duped many unsuspecting buyers out of their money.  His supporters are screaming for ranked choice voting here in the County.  While I’m not a huge supporter of who did win, I am adamantly against people purchasing their seats.  

To me, the billionaire - David Blair - seemed like a bored billionaire who wanted to make the County his next pet project.  Curiously, or not so curiously, he declined a position on the transition team and a place in the new administration. I take that as further evidence he favors being in charge over truly getting something done.

David Trone just did this, too, here in Maryland. He’s heading to Congress in January. We will see how that plays out.  I suppose, though, his case may be the flip side where ranked choice helps a real public servant win.

I will watch Maine with great interest.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

Gruffstuff,

I am for any positive change to our voting system. I thank you for sharing this with me. 

Kudos
Views