Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Racism helps Republicans Win

Message 1 of 10

@GailL1 wrote:

@ManicProgressive 

Think we should do some controlled testing -

I know in my community,  which is majority black, voted in a real slim-bucket for a local position a few years back.  He had no credentials for the job but he beat a long standing incumbent (white, little ole lady) who had done a great job through the years. 

Many people voted for him only because he was black - they said that at the hearing where he was thrown out of office for grave improprieties - a real slim bucket - just glad they caught him before he did too much damage.

Seems only fair elections would do away with party designations and also not show pics of any candidate in the newspaper listing each candidate - course they would be seen in the normal course of campaigning - that's OK cause people have to make an effort to review their campaign and stance on various issues.

I can’t say for sure because I don’t know who you are talking about. But often when it seems people are only voting for someone because they are black, a woman, etc, it’s more because these candidates “know” what this population needs.  Or people think they know. If you are ignored for decades because you are black, there is a likelihood you may think a black candidate would be better.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

@GailL1 wrote:

@ManicProgressive 

I know in my community,  which is majority black, voted in a real slim-bucket for a local position a few years back.  He had no credentials for the job but he beat a long standing incumbent (white, little ole lady) who had done a great job through the years. 

Many people voted for him only because he was black - they said that at the hearing where he was thrown out of office for grave improprieties - a real slim bucket - just glad they caught him before he did too much damage.

Seems only fair elections would do away with party designations and also not show pics of any candidate in the newspaper listing each candidate - course they would be seen in the normal course of campaigning - that's OK cause people have to make an effort to review their campaign and stance on various issues.

Good -  when you have conclusive irrefutable results from every electoral contest in the nation - post the results.

A single example is not anywhere close to being conclusive...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

@ManicProgressive 

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

D017DJVXcAMyaIi.jpg

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Recent research by economists Ilyana Kuziemko and Ebonya Washington suggests that white Southerners who defected from the Democratic party after the civil-rights movement were those with the most conservative views on race. Democrats who held moderate and conservative views on other issues and who lived in other parts of the country largely remained loyal.

Polls consistently show that Republicans are more likely to hold racial prejudices, and not just in the South. Nationally, almost one in five Republicans opposes interracial dating, compared to just one in 20 Democrats, according to the Pew Research Center. While 79 percent of Republicans agree with negative statements about blacks such as the one about slavery and discrimination, just 32 percent of Democrats do, the Associated Press has found.

Sears of the University of California has found that even among white voters with equally conservative views on issues unrelated to race, those with more negative views about African Americans are more likely to vote Republican. He and Michael Tesler, a political scientist at the University of California, Irvine, showed that there were many racially conservative white voters who supported John Kerry and President Clinton when they were candidates, but who voted against President Obama.

At the same time, Sears suggested that GOP doctrine on the importance of personal responsibility, together with elevated rates of black poverty and unemployment, help some Republicans rationalize their belief that people of color are inferior -- beliefs they probably developed in childhood.

In general, there is evidence that children receive their racial prejudices from their parents, as well as the other adults in the communities in which they live. The three political scientists examined data from a national survey of high school seniors first conducted in 1965, which found that the students' feelings about race were closely correlated with those of their parents.

Those statistics didn't change at all in 1997, when surveyors talked to the former students again. In other words, adults' feelings about race were still influenced by how they grew up after their 50th birthdays, even during a period when attitudes toward race in society at large were liberalizing rapidly.

"I grow up with this kind of negative feeling toward blacks, maybe disgust or repulsion," Sears said. "The culture gives me the reasons why I feel that way, provides the justifications."

Blackwell, one of the authors, agreed. "People in general tend to think of their views as their own, conclusions that they came to after thinking long and hard about the facts," he said. "There's sufficient evidence out there to show that's not the way people have come to form beliefs about the world and about politics, in general."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/03/03/researchers-have-found-strong-evidence-that-r...

I wonder if there will be a follow-up as to how racial attitudes help the Dems in other communities?

Treating people as if they were equal human beings works pretty well.

Good plan. the report examined the effects of race on election results - to an extent. It would be nice if they finished the job.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

More race baiting by WAPO. Check out the comments at the link.

The Post didn’t commission any of the research. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Recent research by economists Ilyana Kuziemko and Ebonya Washington suggests that white Southerners who defected from the Democratic party after the civil-rights movement were those with the most conservative views on race. Democrats who held moderate and conservative views on other issues and who lived in other parts of the country largely remained loyal.

Polls consistently show that Republicans are more likely to hold racial prejudices, and not just in the South. Nationally, almost one in five Republicans opposes interracial dating, compared to just one in 20 Democrats, according to the Pew Research Center. While 79 percent of Republicans agree with negative statements about blacks such as the one about slavery and discrimination, just 32 percent of Democrats do, the Associated Press has found.

Sears of the University of California has found that even among white voters with equally conservative views on issues unrelated to race, those with more negative views about African Americans are more likely to vote Republican. He and Michael Tesler, a political scientist at the University of California, Irvine, showed that there were many racially conservative white voters who supported John Kerry and President Clinton when they were candidates, but who voted against President Obama.

At the same time, Sears suggested that GOP doctrine on the importance of personal responsibility, together with elevated rates of black poverty and unemployment, help some Republicans rationalize their belief that people of color are inferior -- beliefs they probably developed in childhood.

In general, there is evidence that children receive their racial prejudices from their parents, as well as the other adults in the communities in which they live. The three political scientists examined data from a national survey of high school seniors first conducted in 1965, which found that the students' feelings about race were closely correlated with those of their parents.

Those statistics didn't change at all in 1997, when surveyors talked to the former students again. In other words, adults' feelings about race were still influenced by how they grew up after their 50th birthdays, even during a period when attitudes toward race in society at large were liberalizing rapidly.

"I grow up with this kind of negative feeling toward blacks, maybe disgust or repulsion," Sears said. "The culture gives me the reasons why I feel that way, provides the justifications."

Blackwell, one of the authors, agreed. "People in general tend to think of their views as their own, conclusions that they came to after thinking long and hard about the facts," he said. "There's sufficient evidence out there to show that's not the way people have come to form beliefs about the world and about politics, in general."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/03/03/researchers-have-found-strong-evidence-that-r...

I wonder if there will be a follow-up as to how racial attitudes help the Dems in other communities?

Treating people as if they were equal human beings works pretty well.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

More race baiting by WAPO. Check out the comments at the link.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Racism helps Republicans Win

Message 10 of 10

Kudos
Views
Replies