Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Racial resentment is the biggest indicator of additudes about immigration.

Message 11 of 31

@BigLib wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Goober 

Ah, in that case, I must have actually typed the name of the one who went in the Marines. On second thought, it was unfair of me to put them down like that, because the Pyles didn't harbor resentment to folks different from themselves. I should have used a reference that was a bigot. Let me try again....

Apparently Archie Bunker doesn't know that Puerto Ricans already are Americans.

Smiley Happy

Lol. I don’t know why either would get bleeped. 😊

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 31

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Goober 

Ah, in that case, I must have actually typed the name of the one who went in the Marines. On second thought, it was unfair of me to put them down like that, because the Pyles didn't harbor resentment to folks different from themselves. I should have used a reference that was a bigot. Let me try again....

Apparently Archie Bunker doesn't know that Puerto Ricans already are Americans.

Smiley Happy

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 31

Goober 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 31

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

If racial resentment is the biggest indicator regarding attitude about immigration, does that mean racial resentment is behind the establishment of national borders?

Remember, it is the enforcement of national borders that is the issue, not immigration.

No.  Did you read the article?  Or better, the actual study?

Well of course he/she/it didn't read it. Because then there'd be no reason to throw around their favorite newly-learned word, "non sequitur".

And this issue isn't limited to immigrants. It also extends to anyone who is perceived to be an immigrant.

Case in point - the drunk white racist in Illinois arrested on assault of a  woman whose family rented a pavillion. She was wearing a Puerto Rico tshirt, and he kept saying if she was an American, she shouldn't be wearing that tshirt in America. Guess **bleep** is too stupid to know Puerto Ricans ARE Americans.

Oh, and there was a white cop there who refused to do anything. Other cops had to show up to do his job. He's been reassigned. Poor little lamb.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/11/627929289/video-of-man-harassing-woman-over-puerto-rican-flag-shirt-p...

Edit: Wow, the word censor bleeped the name of one of the Pyle cousins from the Andy Griffith show. Not the one that went in the Marines, the other one.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 31

"I" am not making it about race.  It "is" about race.  That was the whole point of the study -- to see if it was economic anxiety or racial resentment that had more of an impact.   And it's race.   

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 31

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

National borders have been in existence since they were created. The article and topic is about immigration, not national borders. If you want a topic on national borders, simply start one.

National borders and immigration has gone hand and hand since antiquity.  Remember the Israelites left Egypt to go to the Land of Canaan.  The Romans built Hadrian's Wall to control the national borders between what is now England and Scotland.  Don't forget the Great Wall of China with guard posts at certain points to facilitate trade but to keep others out.

Checkpoints have been used throughout history to control travel and immigration.  National borders and immigration go hand in hand.

This isn't about Israelites, Egypt, the Land of Canaan ..... nor Romans, England or Scotland. This topic has nothing to do with anything you posted. 

This topic is about racial resentment being the biggest indicator of attitudes about immigration. Care to comment on that?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 31

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

If racial resentment is the biggest indicator regarding attitude about immigration, does that mean racial resentment is behind the establishment of national borders?

Remember, it is the enforcement of national borders that is the issue, not immigration.

National borders have been in existence since they were created. The article and topic is about immigration, not national borders. If you want a topic on national borders, simply start one.

Does immigration not involve crossing national borders, legally or illegally? In that reality our posters want to find their claimed "racism".

I''ve never heard you or anyone on the right complain about a white person crossing the border (any border) illegally, and yes it happens often.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 31

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Why do you think the 80% of immigrants who are people of color "can't make it" in their own country?  

Again, it's about animus toward all immigrants, not just illegal immigrants. 

And foreign born workers have lower unemployment rates that native born workers.   

Read the paper.  This is all about race.  

Of course you and others are attempting to make it a racial issue, which it isn't.  As RK has posted it is a border issue and our borders are being flooded with illegals.  It is an effort to control and establish an orderly entrance of immigrants. 

I have no objections to legal immigrants, and I'm sure that 99% of Americans agree, but it is those who effectively are demanding that we remove all restrictions.  But it appears that you and others are attempting to make it a racial thing.  Several have been posting that already.

It is an effort to insure that criminal elements don't enter, along with those who bring in diseases that have been mostly eradicated in our country. 

Of course its another cause for the liberals to be so enraged about. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 31

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

It makes sense.  Immigrants vary widely in income and education levels.  But 80% of immigrants are people of color.   

How many of those 80% has the tendency to become a burden on our country?  If those 80% can't make it in their home country then would they in the United States?

And how many White Caucasians from Europe are attempting to enter our country illegally

thru the Mexican/United States border?

Of course everything is based on race isn't it? 

Why do you think the 80% of immigrants who are people of color "can't make it" in their own country?  

Again, it's about animus toward all immigrants, not just illegal immigrants. 

And foreign born workers have lower unemployment rates that native born workers.   

Read the paper.  This is all about race.  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 31

@ManicProgressive wrote:

It makes sense.  Immigrants vary widely in income and education levels.  But 80% of immigrants are people of color.   

How many of those 80% has the tendency to become a burden on our country?  If those 80% can't make it in their home country then would they in the United States?

And how many White Caucasians from Europe are attempting to enter our country illegally

thru the Mexican/United States border?

Of course everything is based on race isn't it? 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors