Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Racial Inequality in Minneapolis Among the Worst in the Nation

Message 1 of 4

People become disenfranchised by the Republican way of thinking which is to take care of corporate America and not its people.

trickle down don't work no more.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

I don't think it is just racial, I think it is economic disparity.

There were plenty of white people out there to protest.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

It's senseless to destroy property only to have it rebuilt and then prices go up. I understand their frustration as I'm a Native American whose ancestors lost our hunting grounds our way of life our Identity. Forced into reservations treated like 3rd class citizens. But we've overcome We've become educated and that's what it takes Education gives rise to Opportunity which leads to Respect not only among your own peers but the whole of society.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Racial Inequality in Minneapolis Among the Worst in the Nation

Message 4 of 4

It explains a lot of what's going on now....these legal methods of segregation, discrimination, and wealth destruction last for generations. 

The roots of these disparities run deep: In the first half of the 20th century, for instance, real estate transactions in many Minneapolis neighborhoods were bound by provisions that limited ownership to white families. “The said premises shall not at any time be sold, conveyed, leased, or sublet, or occupied by any person or persons who are not full bloods of the so-called Caucasian or White race,” as one common provision put it.

Before these covenants, “Minneapolis was not particularly segregated,” according to the authors of the University of Minnesota’s Mapping Prejudice project. But “as racially-restrictive deeds spread, African Americans were pushed into a few small areas of the city. And even as the number of black residents continued to climb, ever-larger swaths of the city became entirely white.”

The city’s black communities were suppressed in other ways, too. In the 1950s and 1960s, city planners devastated the historically black Rondo neighborhood by running Interstate 94 down its main thoroughfare. “One in every eight African Americans in St. Paul lost a home to I-94,” according to the Minnesota Historical Society, and “many businesses never reopened.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/30/minneapolis-racial-inequality/ 

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors