Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: RW Trump & May - Ban Muslims & Internet

Message 1 of 12

".....I am very sorry, but I didn't interpret what Teresa May said in the manner that it has been presented here. Sorry, but Yes she did mention the Internet, and I didn't hear that she was going to institute a ban on Social Media. I didn't hear anything that has been posted here....".

From PM May:

"... The London Bridge attack had its roots in Islamic extremism, she observed: “We cannot allow this ideology the safe space it needs to breed. Yet that is precisely what the internet, and the big companies that provide internet-based services, provide.” She continued: “We need to work with allied democratic governments to reach international agreements that regulate cyberspace to prevent the spread of extremism and terrorism planning.”

There are a lot of people critical of her. A lot of people are not. She is conservative, and she is in power due to the Brexit vote that was largely voted on due to fear of immigrants from the EU. England is having the same kind of 'keep the terrorists from coming here' discussions as we are.

Whether the internet can be 'regulated' or monitored to try to quell terrorist-related messages from spreading is laughable to some, very serious to others. You choose.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

@CriticalThinking wrote:

The latest study reveals there are approximately 3.3 million Muslims in America. My guess is 99% of them go to work in the morning and send their kids to school before they leave the house. They came to America to escape tyranny and be free. I'm sure there's a small minority who are very dangerous, just like the 2 million Americans who rape, rob, and kill others every day of the week. They now reside in in prisons where they belong.

By the way, in just about every case, the terrorist was born in the country, so a Muslim ban would be irrelevant.

Assuming your "estimates" to be true, that leaves 33,000 Muslim potential terrorists - planning, waiting for the right moment, building bombs, getting ready to terrorize more people.  The left won't even allow Trump to end the immigration from countries that export terrorists until the next big attack comes, and it will!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

@rker321 wrote:

So, !!!!! I thought we were discussing May's remarks, so what does your post have to do with any of that.? Look, I am not going to come here and follow like a puppy when I see posts that I don't agree with. 

Google is really hard....apparently:   May:  “We cannot allow this ideology the safe space it needs to breed. Yet that is precisely what the internet, and the big companies that provide internet-based services, provide.” She continued: “We need to work with allied democratic governments to reach international agreements that regulate cyberspace to prevent the spread of extremism and terrorism planning.”

Note, UK doesn't have a 1st Amendment and I'm pretty sure that Donald would love to destroy that part of the Constitution - as he has been trying to do, by unilateral (dictator?) calls for labeling news he doesn't like as "fake".   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12
Mick posted...

2. Now the Ultra- Right Wing - Donald Trump & Theresa May are advocating that now that the Foreign Policies of both England & the USA of Fighting Them Over There - Will Protect US Over Here is a Proven LIE

A. Banning All Muslims
B. Banning the Internet

==============================================

Not true ....more fake news.
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

RW Trump & May - Ban Muslims & Internet

Message 5 of 12

The latest study reveals there are approximately 3.3 million Muslims in America. My guess is 99% of them go to work in the morning and send their kids to school before they leave the house. They came to America to escape tyranny and be free. I'm sure there's a small minority who are very dangerous, just like the 2 million Americans who rape, rob, and kill others every day of the week. They now reside in in prisons where they belong.

By the way, in just about every case, the terrorist was born in the country, so a Muslim ban would be irrelevant.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

@MIseker wrote:
Talk of imminent threat to our national security through the application of external force is pure nonsense. Our threat is from the insidious forces working from within which have already so drastically altered the character of our free institutions - those institutions we proudly called the American way of life. Furthermore, The powers in charge keep us in a perpetual state of fear keep us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor with the cry of grave national emergency. Always there has been some terrible evil to gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it by furnishing the exorbitant sums demanded. Yet, in retrospect, these disasters seem never to have happened, seem never to have been quite real.

So, !!!!! I thought we were discussing May's remarks, so what does your post have to do with any of that.? Look, I am not going to come here and follow like a puppy when I see posts that I don't agree with. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

mlseker--Fear is a great motivator, and the Republicans use it to their advantage.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12
Talk of imminent threat to our national security through the application of external force is pure nonsense. Our threat is from the insidious forces working from within which have already so drastically altered the character of our free institutions - those institutions we proudly called the American way of life. Furthermore, The powers in charge keep us in a perpetual state of fear keep us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor with the cry of grave national emergency. Always there has been some terrible evil to gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it by furnishing the exorbitant sums demanded. Yet, in retrospect, these disasters seem never to have happened, seem never to have been quite real.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

I am very sorry, but I didn't interpret what Teresa May said in the manner that it has been presented here.

Sorry, but Yes she did mention the Internet, and I didn't hear that she was going to institute a ban on Social Media.
I didn't hear anything that has been posted here.

We need to be very careful as to our own interpretations of what is being said.
I believe that what she meant is that Social Media and many websites do have certain responsibilities to help law enforcement in providing them with the information that they need in order for law enforcment to prevent tragedies like the ones that we have seen.
Please,!!!!! don't become Republicans!!!!!!!! and spread things that were not said.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

GS--And isn't that exactly what trump did?  He ran on a platform of fear (a Republican strategy for years) and hate.  May is losing ground in England as their election nears.  Possibly they have been watching the blunders of this ill equipped fool occupying the WH and see the same in her.  Or, perhaps, the English are just a lot smarter than the gullibles who put the worst president in history in power.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors