Regular Contributor

RETURN TO THE LIGHT

Anyone who is old enough to be in AARP should be able to remember America in the last half century. We had our disagreements but we still had love for our Country and at least, concern for our fellow man. Where has that gone?? We no longer say we disagree with someone , but we hate them.I was born right after WWII and we had neighborhoods that had a diverse mix of people and it didn't matter what their color was but who on the block had pot roast for dinner when you you knew at home it was pasta & beans in red sauce. We worked together , we played together and when someone was in need we all chipped in. ( I was born in Mother Cabrini Homes in Chicago). Even as the area transitioned we still had respect and care for everyone. I have no rose colored glasses on but we didn't hate everyone. Now as a grandpa, I have tried to lift my grandchildren to start with love in their heart. I may fail sometime and sometimes complain for the good old days but I want to return to the days where our government does not stir hate. Evil politicians who plot for their survival and not the country. Deny rights to their own constitutes as they profit by their corruption.  We need to see the light again. We need a person who remembers what blue collar hard work meant. I have met the man I speak of leading us out of the darkness. Write back and I will tell you a story of my experience with him.

Honored Social Butterfly

Anyone who is old enough to be in AARP should be able to remember America in the last half century. We had our disagreements but we still had love for our Country and at least, concern for our fellow man. Where has that gone?? We no longer say we disagree with someone , but we hate them.I was born right after WWII and we had neighborhoods that had a diverse mix of people and it didn't matter what their color was but who on the block had pot roast for dinner when you you knew at home it was pasta & beans in red sauce. We worked together , we played together and when someone was in need we all chipped in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Things have been gradually changing for decades.

I think back to when I played little league baseball. We had players from different ethnic groups on each of our teams. Your team would wear the same color uniforms and all would work together to win the game regardless of each other's ethnicity. Your best friend would be on another team, and after the game we were all friends.

When we entered the working world many of us belonged to unions. A Brotherhood. Two strangers could meet and discover they were both in the same union. One would ask the other "Which Local do you belong"? and the conversation would go from there.

Back then about 45% of Americans belonged to unions in the 'private sector'. Now it stands around 6% or 7%. Union workers making decent money and going bowling together -- as a team. 

There was a book about this called "Bowling Alone". The author used bowling as an example to illustrate this.

"Although the number of people who bowl has increased in the last 20 years, the number of people who bowl in leagues has decreased. If people bowl alone, they do not participate in social interaction and civic discussions that might occur in a league environment."

The author also notes the loss in civic organizations such as Knights of Columbus, labor unions, Women's Clubs, League of Women Voters, military veterans' organizations, Boy Scouts, Red Cross, Lions Clubs, Elks Clubs, Rotary, Kiwanis, etc.

(Remember Ralph Cramden and Ed Norton -- bowling and the Racoon Club).

racoon club.jpg

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I guess you support term limits... right?

The dems removed "under God" from their talking points at their convention. I could never support an organization who doesn't protect the unborn and denies God as supreme. 

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Honored Social Butterfly

Fishslayer:   I could never support an organization who doesn't protect the unborn and denies God as supreme. 

Then why are you supporting Trump? It's a fool's game to believe Trump sincerely cares about the unborn or cares anything about God except as a political tool. Seriously.

Social Butterfly

As if Trump speaks for this nation "Under God"? 

He has committed every sin in the book, violated the Constitution, the Ten Commandments and come up with even new crewel  tortures to humanity and children.  

Oh, we know, the Evangleists Christian Right supports him, Just ask Jerry Falwell Jr. to keep his pants zipped next time he gives a pro Trump endorsement.

The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing so many people he doesn't exist.

Honored Social Butterfly

@PhilipT605548 wrote:

He has committed every sin in the book, violated the Constitution, the Ten Commandments and come up with even new crewel  tortures to humanity and children.  

Oh, we know, the Evangleists Christian Right supports him, Just ask Jerry Falwell Jr. to keep his pants zipped next time he gives a pro Trump endorsement.

The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing so many people he doesn't exist.

Do you for one moment thing that God can't use a proud and boastful sinner to accomplish His ends? 

Maybe look at the life of King David for reference. A murderer, adulterer, liar, sinner... and yet from this well spring of sin, came Jesus. Go figure.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@PhilipT605548 wrote:

Do you for one moment thing that God can't use a proud and boastful sinner to accomplish His ends? 

Maybe look at the life of King David for reference. A murderer, adulterer, liar, sinner... and yet from this well spring of sin, came Jesus. Go figure.

And with Jesus came the New Testament .... condemning those very actions!!!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@PhilipT605548 wrote:

So maybe He used trump to uncover the racism that lies in the hearts of the  fundamental far right. So maybe He used trump to remind us of the institutional racism that exists in America's institutions. So maybe He's using trump to remind us not to trust liars and crooks, like trump and the ones he has appointed to so many positions in his administration. Only the blind cannot see.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@PhilipT605548 wrote:

So maybe He used trump to uncover the racism that lies in the hearts of the  fundamental far right. So maybe He used trump to remind us of the institutional racism that exists in America's institutions. So maybe He's using trump to remind us not to trust liars and crooks, like trump and the ones he has appointed to so many positions in his administration. Only the blind cannot see.

This what you CHOOSE to believe. There is none so blind who will not see. That is a very dark post similar to the theme of the DNC... the purveyors of hate and division. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

I guess you support term limits... right?

The dems removed "under God" from their talking points at their convention. I could never support an organization who doesn't protect the unborn and denies God as supreme. 

Oh, great, instead support a man that "grabs 'em by the crotch", mocks the handicapped, has peaceful protesters tear gassed and shot with rubber bullets so he can pose with an upside-down Bible he refers to as "a Bible" instead of 'his Bible', doing it only for a campaign ad.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png