You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: REPUBLICANS ATTACK PRE EXISTING MEDICAL COVERAGE

Message 1 of 16

@GailL1 wrote:

@afisher wrote:

For those (I) who would never read an entire article:  A Kaiser Family Foundation poll in June 2017 showed that 70% of those polled, including 59% of Republicans, wanted Washington to continue barring insurers from charging people with preexisting conditions more for their coverage. Federal law has long provided such protection for people with health benefits at work; the ACA extended it to people shopping independently for insurance.

Now remind everyone again how if they diminish this that healthcare insurance will be available to millions...or is it that people on the right agree with the GOP genocide project.    (we now have 3 parts:  ending Medicaid in Red States, have Donald say that protecting children with mother's milk is less important than selling formula and more expensive health insurance is somehow good for consumers)

Might as well go ahead and add in the latest move by the Administration which happened just last week -

The Administration is suspending the "risk adjustment" funds - which collects these funds from the insurers (and they collect them from policy holders) to pay back to those insurers who have high health care cost.

Take your pick of the info sites:

https://khn.org/morning-breakout/administrations-freeze-on-insurer-payments-rattles-some-but-experts...

It seems to me that those with a pre-existing condition should pay more for their coverage - perhaps similar to how smokers were handled within the ACA premium setting rule.  But maybe not at a 50% mark up.  

But maybe not for their regular health insurance premium - 

The Administration seems to be doing this to support the need of a state high healthcare cost  risk pool - not for initial coverage but for those who's health care cost top a certain amount in a period of time - I have read the figure of $ 45,000 per year but that isn't set in stone.

In this way, it would hold down cost (and thus premiums) in the regular individual health insurance market place for everybody since this high health care cost pool would be controlled by the state and cover the cost of an individual over some set limit of annual healthcare cost.

By the numbers.

1. The pre Ex is needed when a carrier does not require a medical exam when one applies for Insurance. That keeps people from waiting until they have a serious medical problem and then buying Insurance. The way you avoid the Pre Ex is to have everyone insured, and that means you have a medi care type plan or require all to purchase it, and govt. buys it for the very poor (Medicaid).

2. A high surcharge will not help, but hurt as people will go uninsured and get treatment by ER Care which is the highest cost, and least effective way of handling it.

3. High Risk pools do not work unless there is outside money put in the pool. Trump wants the state to do that, and that means an increase in state taxes. These pools are more expensive than having everyone covered from birth on.

4. You want to hold down Premiums by cost shifting, and by doing that you really increase the cost to all for health care.

As I have told you quite a few times you do not understand health care and when one does not understand it all they do is create problems for the people who do and are trying to improve the ACA which was a good start. The ACA was a Reb. written plan, and tested by a Reb. Gov. in Mass., and it did work. The same person who implemented it for Mass. did it for Obama so both parties were involved. The ACA was the best that could be done at that time. The end plan will be like what every other country has some type of single payer. The far right Reb. have tried to kill every health plan that would work for years, and now that thinking Rep. have left the party all you have left are the far right under Trump who understands none of this.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 16

@rker321 wrote:

Soosie, is is complicated to actually accept what Olderscout says about most of anything.

He has become to much of an extremists just like the Tea Party people in theRepublican Party,

Agree.  Fact is most of his posts are more exaggeration rather than factual.  I see a good many inconsistencies in his posts.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 16

@Soosie wrote:
so far 4 million mostly GOP young people have opted out to become parasites - @scout........are any of these young parasites the ones you want taxpayers to pay for their college education?

And it would be interesting to learn how scout got into County records all over the country to check out Party registrations.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 16

@GailL1 wrote:

@Soosie wrote:
so far 4 million mostly GOP young people have opted out to become parasites - @scout........are any of these young parasites the ones you want taxpayers to pay for their college education? You seem to labor under SOOO many delusions. The increased earnings and taxes paid on said earnings from a college education made the GI bill a huge plus for Federal revenues, in addition to providing a more capable workforce for American employers. But being a Republican, you would rather take things away that help everyone and give the benefits to the very few who don't need it.

Must be the same ones that I am paying my UNinsured and UNDERinsured auto coverage for too. Probably - but why vote for the ones who want you to pay MORE?

See you can pass a mandate and have some that still won't listen.So you INCREASE the penalty for not having insurance, not eliminate it. Republicans are only interestied in killing PPACA, never making it better. As for enforcement, have them enter their insurance policy number on their tax return and have the computers make sure its current.

What's better a puny penalty that has tons of EXCEPTIONS or having them experience real life because if they have anything at all, that trip to the ER for care will follow them for a very, very long time, disrupting many adult- type plans. Neither. Make the punishment more costly than the crime FOR THE CRIMINAL. Your GOP solution puts the cost back on the rest of us, just like it was BEFORE PPACA reduced the rate of growth in premiums.

If they are under 26, their parent(s) should be FORCED to put them on their policy - maybe the parents can teach them how to be responsible rather than some puny mandate. RIGHT YOU ARE! The way to do that is Universal single payer like every other modern nation does for their citizens.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 16

@Soosie wrote:
so far 4 million mostly GOP young people have opted out to become parasites - @scout........are any of these young parasites the ones you want taxpayers to pay for their college education?

Soosie, is is complicated to actually accept what Olderscout says about most of anything.

He has become to much of an extremists just like the Tea Party people in theRepublican Party, I guess we have one of those in every party.

I believe in a National Health care system and here some of the extremists call it Socialized Medicine. I call is a health care system that  will deal with all its citizens.  
We probably now never get it because that will impact seriously the pharmaceuticals  and we simply don't want that to happen.
In a way, I have resigned myself to anything that may come along, and in a way looking at the future with pleasure, You see, I am living my future now.
So each day that I have of my future and nothing really terrible happens I'sm ok
I do care for this country and its future, but it will not up to me to do anything about it. so. I exist  come here and complain, been there, done that before

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 16

I'll try hard to make this short. Insurance and Government, no matter the kind, is intended to mitigate effects of something bad that happens.  You pick what that 'bad thing' is and to whom that 'bad thing' happens.  The idea is that bad things won't happen to everybody, so if we all stick together, everybody kicks in their share and doesn't demand a 'pay-back' when they get off scot-free, the system gets funded and works. 

Mitigating bad things is what governments, societies and insurance are for.  The only reason they exist is the People that make them up...nothing else.  That's a Truth.  The People pay for that...every last single bit...and the currency is a chunk out of their lives that cannot be reimbursed. Nothing's free. 

That being said, nobody, and I mean nobody, should get out of paying to maintain the necessary level of service to perform the  necessary task. That being said, IF all of humankind was of equal capacity, no one could or would be excused.  That, unfortunately, is not the case and the system still has to work for all in order to be humane.  

Suppose we behave like rational human beings for once.  Put aside the nonsense about everybody fending for themselves.  Admit that the Human Species has always banded together for purposes of survival...you might say the "common good".  NO ONE does it by him/her self.  That's a preposterous absurdity.  It was never true. 

So, now we come to the real 'parasites'...the 'slackers' who have figured out how to avoid picking up 'their end of the stick' and 'stick it to everybody but themselves'.  [pun intended]. 

We didn't get by the Lions and Leopards and Hyenas or Baboons and make it to the top of the food chain all by our lonesome.  The "Art Of The Deal" has never been anthing other than the art of taking advantage of someone or something without paying for it.  It really boils down to "The Art OF The Con".  We can't permit that.  

We can't permit anyone to appropriate what is not theirs.  Anything...anything at all that is resource of this earth belongs to the entirety that is this earth. The examples of that would fill volumes.  

Much is made of charitable contributions to take care of necessities.  That's a cop-out.

Truth is that approach is counter-productive and lets the 'cons' off the hook.  They don't pick up the tab for what they owe for what they use.  Think I'm wrong?  Follow the bouncing buck.  Just remember that buck is a piece of paper that represents a portion of time...a non-renewable resource in someone's life.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 16

@Soosie wrote:

Must be the same ones that I am paying my UNinsured and UNDERinsured auto coverage for too.

See you can pass a mandate and have some that still won't listen.

What's better a puny penalty that has tons of EXCEPTIONS or having them experience real life because if they have anything at all, that trip to the ER for care will follow them for a very, very long time, disrupting many adult- type plans.

If they are under 26, their parent(s) should be FORCED to put them on their policy - maybe the parents can teach them how to be responsible rather than some puny mandate.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 16
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 16

@creppelrm wrote:

Someone else with an obsession about Texas?   Do you realize that the Wisconsin Attorney General is also a partner in this lawsuit?

Texas is what Texas does.

How does that account for Wisconsin being a party to the lawsuit.  Don't need to say anything about Louisiana...well, they're just Lousiana!!!  'nuff said!!!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 16

neoRepublicans got the message from the voters - do NOT end Obamacare UNLESS you have something better ready for an immediate replacement.

So to deprive the 99% of affordable coverage, NeoRepubs are taking the "death by a thousand needles" approach.

First they allowed healthy young people to return to being parasites on the system by removing the penalty for not paying for your own health insurance. so far 4 million mostly GOP young people have opted out to become parasites - and the "mostly GOP" has been confirmed by a number of surveys.

Now they want to throw more people off their coverage by allowing insurers to reject those with pre existing conditions. The argument that they SHOULD pay more is another neoRepublican bumpersticker that resonates with those who reject anything that benefits all Americans. What they don't address is COULD they pay more, and for millions of lower income Americans the answer is NO. So more will opt out, return to the ER and jack up costs which will jack up premiums.

We can all afford car insurance because EVERYBODY with a car must have it. neoRepubs say not everyone has a car, so the argument doesn't hold for health care, but that's a clever twist on the language. The fact is EVERYONE HAS A BODY, and that's what needs to be insured. Reagan made sure everybody will get emergency care by making it illegal to practice "economic triage" and refuse to admit those without insurance. But what happened is thousands of hospitals simply closed their ER, leaving a HUGE burden on the public hospitals, mostly part of Universities, to care for all the "hurry cases". From 1990 to 2005, there was an 11% REDUCTION in the number of ERs in the US while before 1990, the number was increasing along with population.

A "tiny pinprick", but that's how Republicans kill things they don't want anyone to have, like reproductive health care including contraception.

Next the Republicans will cap the amount of Government support for those who cannot afford their PPACA coverage, so more people will return to the ER as their "primary care physician".

Within a few years the Republicans will have returned us to the status quo ante and 34 Million more Americans now covered by Obamacare will again be without health insurance and rely on the ER for health care, as will millions more who can no longer afford their health insurance.

Only one solution to their insidious plot - remove the power that makes it possible for them to do this over and over again -

VOTE OUT THE NRAGOP IN NOVEMBER

Kudos
Views