From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: REPARATIONS

Message 31 of 88

We need to understand on how the salave trade started. it actually started with the Catholic  Church and a law that was called " Ecomiendias" the church apparently was appalled at the fact that the natives were slaughtered and killed and they thought that they needed to stopped that . so they created that law in which the owners of those "indians" needed to make them Christians, and teach them on how to read and treat them differently. well of course that didn't really go well with the Spaniards that needed people to work for free in their new endeavors. so, they found the solution why not get blacks from Africa  that is how it started, It started in Cuba an in the Caribbean. way before it was also  taken up by Jackson in the US

Well we have seen how it developed. but I guess we haven't learned much after that.

Going back to history, and seeing how other colonies developed. if we remember what and who colonized India and how the Brits treated the citizens of that nation we can understand on how we think that our blacks  should be treated.  At leas the Brits did change their ways.
Again we have created a complete differentiation of two people, the whites and the blacks. they are not only different but treated differently, they have their own culture and history and they are here but in many ways not here.

And for what I have seen, our culture has not really developed enough to breach that divide,

Now someone has decided to treat them like the Japanese in WWII and sorry but is not the same The Japanese were never treated lie blacks, so the same solutions don't apply.

When this country is able to see blacks as equals not simply throw laws at them until then, there will always be seen as different.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 88

Instituting and enforcing equal rights programs, civil rights, and opportunities for everyone in spite of skin color should be a better method of 'reparations' rather than throwing money at it and would be more valuable not only for Blacks but persons of every race.  That creates 'reparations' that keep on giving and of greater benefit than any amount of money.

Then just help people that are poor, and let the market decide who is in need of reparations. 

Provide a public education to a BA or journeyman level skill

It will be self regulating, if minorities need the most help, they'll get the most help.

Give children what they need to succeed, give young adults what they need to succeed, base help for the poor on income, make public education universal to the levels needed to do the jobs of the future.

To many people ?

Family planning clinics.

Not enough people?

Allow people to immigrate. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 88

@gruffstuff wrote:

The moral cost of reparations should be recognition on a national level and in a public way, and in such a way, as to acknowledge the struggles different peoples faced at different times for different reasons

Instituting and enforcing equal rights programs, civil rights, and opportunities for everyone in spite of skin color should be a better method of 'reparations' rather than throwing money at it and would be more valuable not only for Blacks but persons of every race.  That creates 'reparations' that keep on giving and of greater benefit than any amount of money.

But as long as the topic of racism is being kept at the forefront, mostly in a negative sort of way, it will be with us always.  Additionally, hyphenating Americans doesn't positively contribute to cohesion.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 88

REPARATIONS

Serious problems with race and racism in the USA. Racial minorities face an uphill struggle, particularly indigenous and black peoples. Some areas in the US , which include major US cities, face third world conditions.

Thirty six million American adults in the US are functionally illiterate. Try getting a job these days if you can't read and do basic math. Public schools failed them as children, they didn't get what they needed to succeed. 

On to the subject of reparations, I think there should be reparations, but not as payments to individuals or even to a specific race, I think there should be reparations to the poor.

I doesn't matter what race, creed or culture your were when you were ground under the wheel of capitalism and or racism. I don't see how the two can be separated, poor people of any race,   the conquest of indigenous peoples and slavery and all the consequences  were the by products of capitalism. 

On top of all that, there is the national industrial complex of addictive substances, nicotine, alcohol, addictive prescription drugs and their abuse, some, including myself would include sugar in that list.

How many who are diabetic today have been brainwashed, bombarded, with sugar products and advertising for sugar products all their lives.

Some individuals overcome those barriers, some don't

Now we should unwind all that, it took us hundreds of years to get where we are, it will probably take hundreds of years to unwind the consequences.

The cost of unwinding poverty should be the financial cost of reparations, for all poor people, anywhere in the US, on and off reservations. 

The moral cost of reparations should be recognition on a national level and in a public way, and in such a way, as to acknowledge the struggles different peoples faced at different times for different reasons. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 88

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

It "makes sense" when you make a fair comparison NOTHAPPENING.

Irish Americans were not rounded up by slave traders, chained up in ships, sold off as property, kept in chains and beaten by slave owners.

Neither were Italians and Sicilians rounded up by slave traders, chained up in ships, sold off as property, kept in chains and beaten by slave owners...

Of course those Africans were either captured in war or seized by other Africans and sold to the Slave traders, not by the White slave traders themselves. 

All this has nothing to do with the modern day talk about reparations.  Especially since the country is moving along towards bringing everyone along regardless of skin color or heritage to equality.  But shouldn't it be done without making some 'more equal' than others.

Ahhh - if only that were the case among trump supporters, white supremacists, Nazis and the like - but it isn't - and never will be the case among extremist trump cultists...

If what you posted were true in Texas, then Sandra Bland wouldn't have been murdered in her jail cell by a racist law enfarcement orificer and a large settlement admitting her wrongful death wouldn't have been paid.

It probably will not be true in Texas for a couple more centuries due to it's historical traditions of racism...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 88

@alferdpacker wrote:

Irish Americans were not rounded up by slave traders, chained up in ships, sold off as property, kept in chains and beaten by slave owners.

Neither were Italians and Sicilians rounded up by slave traders, chained up in ships, sold off as property, kept in chains and beaten by slave owners...

Of course those Africans were either captured in war or seized by other Africans and sold to the Slave traders, not by the White slave traders themselves. 

All this has nothing to do with the modern day talk about reparations.  Especially since the country is moving along towards bringing everyone along regardless of skin color or heritage to equality.  But shouldn't it be done without making some 'more equal' than others.

Have a good evening.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 88

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Wealth doesn’t create dependency. It does the exact opposite. 

Depends on how that wealth is obtained.  If it is handed on a silver platter,

As was recently done with the enormous tax cuts for the wealthy

then it means nothing to the person. 

Then why do your Republicans keep on giving the wealthy more handouts?

If it's earned, then it's appreciated.  

As done by many hard working middle class Americans.

Look at the welfare system... the recipients rarely attempt to better themselves.  Why should they?

Perhaps health issues/disability make it impossible to obtain earned income.  So why all the "welfare" for people who are already wealthy?

Are you saying that if people are given money that it wouldn't create dependency/

Like wealthy people who are "dependent" upon continued tax cuts to make themselves more wealthy ..... more wealthy at the expense of all other Americans.

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 88

@myexper wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I don’t know any black person who was born here who doesn’t consider him or herself an American. ???  African American does not mean unAmerican. They are a type of American. 

Nobody is advocating for reparations alone, in a vacuum, but it’s factual that more wealth helps black people do better in life. 

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I don’t know any black person who was born here who doesn’t consider him or herself an American. ???  African American does not mean unAmerican. They are a type of American. 

Nobody is advocating for reparations alone, in a vacuum, but it’s factual that more wealth helps black people do better in life. 

Black Americans will feel more "American" if they use term they rightly deserve: "American" and not African American. Most white Americans do not refer to themselves as EuroAmerican or put the prefix of your choice.  There are more successful black Americans now than ever and that will increase as time goes on.  If they want to really stop the progress that black Americans have made, just start reparations.  That will initiate the hate that I hope is past.

Again, who said black people don’t feel Amercian?  

You did. I said black Americans refer to themselves as African American. I refer to myself as American without the prefix.

I know plenty of white people who consider themselves Irish Americans or Italian Americans or whatever Americans.  Flags, bumper stickers, shirts, jewelry, kiss me I’m Irish. Plenty. 

Reparations mean more hate.  Should Irish Americans get reparations also for the abuse they took when they arrived here? Liberals make no sense.

So much for those bogus questions and invalid comparisons involving Irish people newly in the United States...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 88

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Black Americans will feel more "American" if they use term they rightly deserve: "American" and not African American. Most white Americans do not refer to themselves as EuroAmerican or put the prefix of your choice.  There are more successful black Americans now than ever and that will increase as time goes on.  If they want to really stop the progress that black Americans have made, just start reparations.  That will initiate the hate that I hope is past.

Again, who said black people don’t feel Amercian?  

You did. I said black Americans refer to themselves as African American. I refer to myself as American without the prefix.

I know plenty of white people who consider themselves Irish Americans or Italian Americans or whatever Americans.  Flags, bumper stickers, shirts, jewelry, kiss me I’m Irish. Plenty. 

Reparations mean more hate.  Should Irish Americans get reparations also for the abuse they took when they arrived here? Liberals make no sense.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 88

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

all this talk about reparations is to create a dependency, even more so, on Blacks for handouts by liberals.

That's racism...

I agree, creating dependency by giving handouts is racism.

Well, the most recent "handouts" and the most massive "handouts" all have been "given" to the most wealthy in the form of colossal tax cuts.  This action is far more immoral than racist and it will, as you state, "create dependency" ..... "dependency" on continued tax cuts at the expense of all other Americans.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors