REFUGEES FILL GAPS IN FILLING RUST BELT JOBS--AMERICANS CAN'T PASS DRUG TESTS

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: REFUGEES FILL GAPS IN FILLING RUST BELT JOBS--AMERICANS CAN'T PASS DRUG TESTS

Message 21 of 33

@CriticalThinking wrote:

I don't agree there's a strong corrrelation between poverty and drug abuse. Millions of people are poor and they're not addicted to drugs. I read an article on Drug Abuse and Addiction. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any correlation between poverty and drug abuse in that extensive article.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugs-brains-behavior-science-addiction/drug-abuse-addiction

That's because there is no valid scientifically based factually established cause and effect relationship between poverty and drug addiction.

Some might believe quacks and tout them as authorities because the quackery supports prejudicial preconcieved beliefs.

Drug addiction, like alcoholism, and various forms of mental illness has absolutely nothing to do with one's financial position, one's "position in society" or one's rank in any large organization.

We know that a tendency toward being an alcoholic is inherited.

Domestic abuse behavior is learned from the behavior of adults around a child - thus causing it to indeed "run in some families".

Pedophiles very often are abused as children - for instance Jerry Sandusky's son who testified that his father sexually abused him has now been arrested for sexual crimes against minor children.

Ignorance and limited education/knowledge often causes "imaginary" cause and effect relationships to be posited - all in the absence of actual verified fact.

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: REFUGEES FILL GAPS IN FILLING RUST BELT JOBS--AMERICANS CAN'T PASS DRUG TESTS

Message 22 of 33

@CriticalThinking wrote:

I don't agree there's a strong corrrelation between poverty and drug abuse. Millions of people are poor and they're not addicted to drugs. I read an article on Drug Abuse and Addiction. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any correlation between poverty and drug abuse in that extensive article.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugs-brains-behavior-science-addiction/drug-abuse-addiction

I appreciate the link, but I didn't see any statistics in this.  I think the only relevant way to answer this question is to look at the percentage of people in poverty who use drugs compared to the percentage of people in other socio-economic groups who use drugs.  But, I don't think this type of study exists.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 33

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 33

@sp362 wrote:

I agree with TxGrandpa2 that poverty is the reason for a lot of these failed tests.  The other thing I wonder about is what percentage of the "failures" are due to marijuana alone?  Maybe it is time to remove this substance from drug tests.  Plenty of people drink on their spare time, they are not barred from employment because of it. 

--

I completely agree with you.  I was continually after users in my charge because it was against regulations, and didn't hesitate to turn them for punishment.   I see no value in using marijuana, but do feel that it is probably not as bad as alcohol.  Those users I've seen as a rule become mellow rather that aggressive like alcoholics.

I do have a problem with the hard narcotics...I've also seen them destroy decent people and even practically turn them into a vegatable. 

* * * BLOOMBERG * * *
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 33

@pc6063 wrote:

Four years ago I was talking to my students about a drug epidemic in this country, not just in these states or counties.

--

Of course there is a drug problem, but it has evolved mostly into prescription meds proscribed by doctors.  We had a doctor who was free with prescribing narcotics.  We collected stack full of prescriptions that we never filled....until we switched physicians.  He closed his practice under duress.

I've been aware of drug use for years, and even busted many for use in the military.  Of course there is no doubt that narcotic use is probably higher in depressed areas like Appalachia, inner cities, etc.  And in social circles.  Alcoholism is also a problem everywhere.

I would believe that illegal immigrants are taking more jobs than abusers because they work for lower wages.  Of course the media likes to build up things like this.

* * * BLOOMBERG * * *
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 33

ReSmiley Tongueoverty- this is a Catch-22. if you're not in poverty prior to addiction,  you will probably end up in poverty if no treatment is sought or is available.  That's why trumps effort to got such facilities is frightening.

however this has nothing to do with the reality that refugees are filling the gaps because, for whatever reason,they're able to pass a drug test.

alcohol use is devastating, and also negativity impacts the ability to hold a job. However,  the job is usually the last thing to go for the alcoholic,  according to alcohol counselor is I have worked with over the years.

Which still does not negate the fact that the United States depends on refugees for much more than working in the fields and that Trump is causing additional problems by trying to got medical help for addicts  at the same time he is trying to ban refugees as I said to start this is a catch 22.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 33

I agree with TxGrandpa2 that poverty is the reason for a lot of these failed tests.  The other thing I wonder about is what percentage of the "failures" are due to marijuana alone?  Maybe it is time to remove this substance from drug tests.  Plenty of people drink on their spare time, they are not barred from employment because of it. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 33

Tx-if you read to the end of my post,  I commented that Trump's  so called health care bill would gut medical and pyschological rehabilitation facilities for addicts, and yes, the entire country is going through a drug epidemic,  not just these areas. Four years ago I was talking to my students about a drug epidemic in this country, not just in these states or counties. CNN just happen to highlight these areas this is a problem of epidemic proportions,  which impacts the entirety of the United States of America.  To deny anything other than that   Doesn't jive with reality.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 33

@Olderscout66 wrote:

rker321 Everything you and pc6 say is true, but why is failing a drug test a reason to disqualify someone from working? Mostly because druggies have a less than sterling record of attendance, have seriously higher accident rates and because their habits are usually more expensive than their jobs are remunerative, they are likely to steal. Oh yeah, they're rather obviously prone to break laws.  You said it I didn't.

Decriminalizing drugs solves most of those problems, and setting up clinics to dispense the now illegal substances solves the rest, and deprives the drug lords of billions of dollars. The money to pay for the clinics, drugs and supervison of the users will come from the 52% reduction in prison costs as there will be that many fewer inmates, and a similar reduction in the cost of anti-drug enforcement. Tell that to the employers that have costs and production to meet  a somehow  irrealistic solution,.

For generations we've tried to make proabition of drugs work, even after the disasterous failed attempt to do this with alcohol. Time for something different - the stunning success Portugal and several other countries have had with decriminalization of drugs proves it can work here as well.

So now we have to accept in the workplace heroin users, cocaine users crack users, because .....................

no name
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 33

rker321 Everything you and pc6 say is true, but why is failing a drug test a reason to disqualify someone from working? Mostly because druggies have a less than sterling record of attendance, have seriously higher accident rates and because their habits are usually more expensive than their jobs are remunerative, they are likely to steal. Oh yeah, they're rather obviously prone to break laws.

Decriminalizing drugs solves most of those problems, and setting up clinics to dispense the now illegal substances solves the rest, and deprives the drug lords of billions of dollars. The money to pay for the clinics, drugs and supervison of the users will come from the 52% reduction in prison costs as there will be that many fewer inmates, and a similar reduction in the cost of anti-drug enforcement.

For generations we've tried to make proabition of drugs work, even after the disasterous failed attempt to do this with alcohol. Time for something different - the stunning success Portugal and several other countries have had with decriminalization of drugs proves it can work here as well.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors