REFUGEES FILL GAPS IN FILLING RUST BELT JOBS--AMERICANS CAN'T PASS DRUG TESTS

Reply
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
296
Views

Re: REFUGEES FILL GAPS IN FILLING RUST BELT JOBS--AMERICANS CAN'T PASS DRUG TESTS

296 Views
Message 11 of 33

 When someone tested positive for drugs in my husband's business and also in my daughters profession,  they were not fired but were put on leave and had to undergo a mandatory drug programs in order to keep their jobs. it was only after a few incidences that the person was let go. I don't think that this occurs in small businesses. These people see the background of the job applicant and the result is the addict/ user is turned away. The CNN piece specifically talked about addiction.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
296
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
298
Views

Re: REFUGEES FILL GAPS IN FILLING RUST BELT JOBS--AMERICANS CAN'T PASS DRUG TESTS

298 Views
Message 12 of 33

@sp362 wrote:


 This thread is about employers in the "Rust Belt" not being able to fill positions because of people failing drug tests.  You can fail a drug test with very limited use, including one time use, false positives, not disclosing you are on prescription drugs, etc.  This has far more to do with employer testing than addiction.  I would like to point out that somebody using a drug does not make them an addict, just like somebody drinking does not make them an alcoholic.

 

I'm quite aware of that, since one of my legally prescribed medications almost always results in a false positive for synthetic opoid usage - mostly because many of the labs use the least expensive testing method instead of the most accurate one.   

 

I now pay a different lab that costs more to take specimens within a couple of hours of the first specimen collection.

 

I still think excluding an employee for marijuana positive is something that will eventually have to be dropped.

 

 

 

 



44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
298
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
288
Views

Re: REFUGEES FILL GAPS IN FILLING RUST BELT JOBS--AMERICANS CAN'T PASS DRUG TESTS

288 Views
Message 13 of 33

I originated this thread and let me tell you, very often it is  drug addiction, rather than recreational drug use that leads job loss.

however your point  is not lost--

the original thread was that refugees were in great demand to fill jobs b/c their American counterparts could not pass an employer mandated drug test. These tests are random, but one has to wonder how string the lure of a high must be to put one's job at risk.

Also mentioned in original post was the very real fact that refugees are very much needed in other areas of enployment in the US, other than working  in the fields at a time when trump has put into place a ban on refugees.

 

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
288
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
268
Views

Re: REFUGEES FILL GAPS IN FILLING RUST BELT JOBS--AMERICANS CAN'T PASS DRUG TESTS

268 Views
Message 14 of 33

@alferdpacker wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

I don't agree there's a strong corrrelation between poverty and drug abuse. Millions of people are poor and they're not addicted to drugs. I read an article on Drug Abuse and Addiction. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any correlation between poverty and drug abuse in that extensive article.

 

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugs-brains-behavior-science-addiction/drug-abuse-addiction

 


That's because there is no valid scientifically based factually established cause and effect relationship between poverty and drug addiction.

Some might believe quacks and tout them as authorities because the quackery supports prejudicial preconcieved beliefs.

Drug addiction, like alcoholism, and various forms of mental illness has absolutely nothing to do with one's financial position, one's "position in society" or one's rank in any large organization.

We know that a tendency toward being an alcoholic is inherited.

Domestic abuse behavior is learned from the behavior of adults around a child - thus causing it to indeed "run in some families".

Pedophiles very often are abused as children - for instance Jerry Sandusky's son who testified that his father sexually abused him has now been arrested for sexual crimes against minor children.

 

Ignorance and limited education/knowledge often causes "imaginary" cause and effect relationships to be posited - all in the absence of actual verified fact.

 

 


In the context of the original post, you are confusing drug addiction and drug using.


No confusion - I have seen drug use/abuse/addiction from both sides and have understood for over 50 years now exactly what the differences are to a nicety.  

In my youth I used, abused, and had a monkey on my back for a month or so.  

I'm here to tell that going cold turkey on everything at once is possible - not at all recommended - very difficult - but doable.  

It's now been over 25 years since I used any street drugs or consumed any alcohol with the exception of a half shot of single malt scotch at midnight New Years Eve. 

Nope, even though I live in Colorado, I don't use marijuana, although it's nice that friends and acquaintances can sit out in my back yard and smoke dope while I drink my customary glass of mint tea...

 

 


This thread is about employers in the "Rust Belt" not being able to fill positions because of people failing drug tests.  You can fail a drug test with very limited use, including one time use, false positives, not disclosing you are on prescription drugs, etc.  This has far more to do with employer testing than addiction.  I would like to point out that somebody using a drug does not make them an addict, just like somebody drinking does not make them an alcoholic.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
268
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
252
Views

Re: REFUGEES FILL GAPS IN FILLING RUST BELT JOBS--AMERICANS CAN'T PASS DRUG TESTS

252 Views
Message 15 of 33

@sp362 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

I don't agree there's a strong corrrelation between poverty and drug abuse. Millions of people are poor and they're not addicted to drugs. I read an article on Drug Abuse and Addiction. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any correlation between poverty and drug abuse in that extensive article.

 

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugs-brains-behavior-science-addiction/drug-abuse-addiction

 


That's because there is no valid scientifically based factually established cause and effect relationship between poverty and drug addiction.

Some might believe quacks and tout them as authorities because the quackery supports prejudicial preconcieved beliefs.

Drug addiction, like alcoholism, and various forms of mental illness has absolutely nothing to do with one's financial position, one's "position in society" or one's rank in any large organization.

We know that a tendency toward being an alcoholic is inherited.

Domestic abuse behavior is learned from the behavior of adults around a child - thus causing it to indeed "run in some families".

Pedophiles very often are abused as children - for instance Jerry Sandusky's son who testified that his father sexually abused him has now been arrested for sexual crimes against minor children.

 

Ignorance and limited education/knowledge often causes "imaginary" cause and effect relationships to be posited - all in the absence of actual verified fact.

 

 


In the context of the original post, you are confusing drug addiction and drug using.


No confusion I understand all about positive drug tests and hiring, having held a CDL or it's equivalent for the last 45 years.

Marijuana should not be on the list of drugs that would prohibit hiring.

Sessions' opinion on marijuana is exactly what is to be expected from a scientifically illiterate redneck racist liar, perjurer, and possible traitor.

 

I have seen drug use/abuse/addiction from both sides and have understood for over 50 years now exactly what the differences are to a nicety.  

In my youth I used, abused, and had a monkey on my back for a month or so.  

I'm here to tell that going cold turkey on everything at once is possible - not at all recommended - very difficult - but doable.  

It's now been over 35 years since I used any street drugs or consumed any quantity of alcohol with the exception of a half shot of single malt scotch at midnight New Years Eve. 

Nope, even though I live in Colorado, I haven't used marijuana since the seventies, although it's nice that friends and acquaintances can sit out in my back yard and smoke dope while I drink my customary glass of mint tea...

 

 

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
252
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
237
Views

Re: REFUGEES FILL GAPS IN FILLING RUST BELT JOBS--AMERICANS CAN'T PASS DRUG TESTS

237 Views
Message 16 of 33

@pc6063 wrote:

  Poverty does not cause drug addiction very often Dragon diction causes poverty  as I commented in an earlier post.


This thread is about people not being hired because they test poitive for drugs, that is not the same as addiction.

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
237
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
232
Views

Re: REFUGEES FILL GAPS IN FILLING RUST BELT JOBS--AMERICANS CAN'T PASS DRUG TESTS

232 Views
Message 17 of 33

  Poverty does not cause drug addiction very often Dragon diction causes poverty  as I commented in an earlier post.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
232
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
240
Views

Re: REFUGEES FILL GAPS IN FILLING RUST BELT JOBS--AMERICANS CAN'T PASS DRUG TESTS

240 Views
Message 18 of 33

@alferdpacker wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

I don't agree there's a strong corrrelation between poverty and drug abuse. Millions of people are poor and they're not addicted to drugs. I read an article on Drug Abuse and Addiction. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any correlation between poverty and drug abuse in that extensive article.

 

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugs-brains-behavior-science-addiction/drug-abuse-addiction

 


That's because there is no valid scientifically based factually established cause and effect relationship between poverty and drug addiction.

Some might believe quacks and tout them as authorities because the quackery supports prejudicial preconcieved beliefs.

Drug addiction, like alcoholism, and various forms of mental illness has absolutely nothing to do with one's financial position, one's "position in society" or one's rank in any large organization.

We know that a tendency toward being an alcoholic is inherited.

Domestic abuse behavior is learned from the behavior of adults around a child - thus causing it to indeed "run in some families".

Pedophiles very often are abused as children - for instance Jerry Sandusky's son who testified that his father sexually abused him has now been arrested for sexual crimes against minor children.

 

Ignorance and limited education/knowledge often causes "imaginary" cause and effect relationships to be posited - all in the absence of actual verified fact.

 

 


In the context of the original post, you are confusing drug addiction and drug using.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
240
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
237
Views

Re: REFUGEES FILL GAPS IN FILLING RUST BELT JOBS--AMERICANS CAN'T PASS DRUG TESTS

237 Views
Message 19 of 33

Hey Alford packer--alcoholism is an addiction as is drug use.  Both tend to be genetically predetermined. that doesn't mean that if you have a drug user or alcoholic as a parent, you will become a drug user or an alcoholic;  it just means that you are genetically more susceptible to these.  We mustn't forget that alcohol is a drug.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
237
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
243
Views

Re: REFUGEES FILL GAPS IN FILLING RUST BELT JOBS--AMERICANS CAN'T PASS DRUG TESTS

243 Views
Message 20 of 33

 Drug addiction has spread to every single segment of society.    No one is precluded-young, old, or middle-aged.   This article dealt with what drug addiction is, what area of the brain it affects   and what may trigger drug use.  

It does not, however, touch on the overall impact of drug abuse with regard to one's financial standing.

 Use of drugs can cost users  jobs, which impacts on financial status.  If the addiction continues,  users will either be unable to get a job or will lose their job,  which impacts on financial status.

 Should users turn to slinging drugs,  their income will rise for a while,  but they are open to theft from others because no drug dealer puts his or her money in the bank.   Because we have tried to incarcerate our way out of this problem, jail time is always looming and, no one makes money in jail. The end result of this is often someone who is thrown into poverty.

 I was at a meeting where drug addiction was discussed last night,  and we were given some stats that at least in our area, the average drug addict is ia 24-year-old female, who may not seek help for fear of losing custody.  

 Drug addiction is at epidemic proportions throughout the United States, and it is an extremely costly situation both monetarily and with regard to human life. 

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
243
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors