Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Profitable US Companies - No Taxes Paid?

Message 81 of 110

@rk9152 wrote:

An example of the latter - the Acme Widget Company can manufacture and sell their widgets at $7.00 each. But some people can't afford the $7.00 so the government decides they should be $5.00. Soon the company goes out of business and nobody has any widgets. Look to the USSR economy for that model.

I think I must be getting old and not reading correctly many of the posts that I see. I believe that I read somewhere in this message board that we should look at Russia for a market that we should all be tapping into. Was I correct?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 110

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@KidBoy2 wrote:

Back to paying no taxes...there is reason for that ..its our tax laws..most of they are laws for a good reason.

Oh?   Like the ones allowing the richest corporations to make record profits, pay their CEO 300 to 400 times what a worker makes, pay a zero tax and even get government subsidies for doing business?

Skip the class warfare and stick to the basics. Taxes are a cost of doing business therefore included in the price charged. Hence, the consumer pays them.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 110

@sp362 wrote:

They are not necessarily bad, but their purpose is to make a profit.  Their purpose is NOT to think of the Public's welfare above their own, that is what Government is for. They need to pay their fair share just like everyone else.

Yes - that is why the ideal package is corporations operating in a free, competitive marketplace trying to deliver the most for least cost and the government working to protect the public interest is ideal. The dual purposes makes the best package for the citizens. Corporations without any restrictions or total government control of the economy are equally bad ideas.

An example of the latter - the Acme Widget Company can manufacture and sell their widgets at $7.00 each. But some people can't afford the $7.00 so the government decides they should be $5.00. Soon the company goes out of business and nobody has any widgets. Look to the USSR economy for that model.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 110

If teachers, waiters, factory workers, etc., all pay taxes to support school systems and local municipalities, why is ok that businesses--large or small don't?   When businesses don't pay their fair share of taxes, the costs of running the above, fall to the little guys--you and me.  Just a way for the rich to get richer on the backs of the little people.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 110
rk posted..

No - companies do not exist to make jobs. Nor do they exist to provide the goods and services we need. They exist to make a profit. The jobs, goods, and services are the beneficial results to society.

=================================================

Profit to many, some on this board is a dirty word...it seems by what they post companies should not be in businesses to make a profit.

If that was the case who would invest? Who would start a business? There is no government guarantee that a corp or company will make a profit...- About 50% of new U.S. companies fail in their first five years.

I am thankful that we have people that will take the risk to start a business.

When we had a business people would ask about our profit. I would say its not profit it making a living .. hope to make what a worker in the mill makes, hope to make what a school teacher makes..etc....people could understand that.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 110

@KidBoy2 wrote:
rk posted..

Once one gets away from an obsession with someone making a profit and can look at the "big picture", corporations really aren't all that bad.

==================================================

It seems that many do not understand what corporations are about. They provide jobs and pay property taxes...in many towns and cities corporations account for a good share of their revenue. Unless they were given incentives to build their plant or store there in which case, they may be exempt from property tax and the cost of the infrastructure improvements that are needed to get to their factory or store (probably mostly store) will be paid by the community.  For most areas, towns and cities are collecting more in sales taxes, which are paid by the consumer, not the Company.
Most also pay income taxes...they match what their employees pay into SS and Medicare...they pay state and federal unemployment taxes employees in my state employees pay nothing into unemployment taxes..they pay into the workers comp fund.  When a Company figures out how much they are willing to pay an employee, they are figuring the fully loaded expenses of the employee.  The Company may be collecting these taxes, but they are being paid by the employees.

Back to paying no taxes...there is reason for that ..its our tax laws..most of they are laws for a good reason.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 110

@KidBoy2 wrote:

Oh?   Like the ones allowing the richest corporations to make record profits, pay their CEO 300 to 400 times what a worker makes, pay a zero tax and even get government subsidies for doing business?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 110
rk posted..

Once one gets away from an obsession with someone making a profit and can look at the "big picture", corporations really aren't all that bad.

==================================================

It seems that many do not understand what corporations are about. They provide jobs and pay property taxes...in many towns and cities corporations account for a good share of their revenue. Most also pay income taxes...they match what their employees pay into SS and Medicare...they pay state and federal unemployment taxes employees in my state employees pay nothing into unemployment taxes..they pay into the workers comp fund.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 110

@rk9152 wrote:

No - companies do not exist to make jobs. Nor do they exist to provide the goods and services we need. They exist to make a profit. The jobs, goods, and services are the beneficial results to society.

They are not necessarily bad, but their purpose is to make a profit.  Their purpose is NOT to think of the Public's welfare above their own, that is what Government is for. They need to pay their fair share just like everyone else.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 110

Kudos
Views