Learn how to use Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing services!  Register now for a free AARP webinar Nov. 18.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Profitable US Companies - No Taxes Paid?

Message 61 of 110

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@KidBoy2 wrote:

When we had a business people would ask about our profit. I would say its not profit it making a living .. hope to make what a worker in the mill makes, hope to make what a school teacher makes..etc....people could understand that.

So paying board members $$Millions$$ and CEOs multiple $$Millions$$ and 400 times more that a worker makes is just "making a living" ??????  Uh ............. the correct answer is NO !

How is that class warfare jazz connected to the fact that the consumers actually pay corporate taxes?

Uh.......the correct answer is it isn't.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 110

@pc6063 wrote:

Here's a thought!   maybe the corporation should pay their fair share of taxes and tge  CEOs shouldn't get those huge bonuses and huge salaries. that way the community won't suffer and neither will oeople in the communities.  Your scenario only benefits the rich.   But really that's the Republican way.

Since the taxes are just passed along to the consumer as part of the price of the goods or services purchased, how does that effect bonuses?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 110

@sp362 wrote:

So, again, what would you rather have:

Corporations paying their fair share, charging more and allowing consumers too choose whether or not they care to purchase their goods and services.

or

Forcing the "Consumers" (citizens) to pay more in taxes to make up for what the Corporations are not paying and having no choice but to pay it?

How does a corporation "pay it's fair share" when they are merely passing the cost to the consumer and, in effect, just acting as a tax collection agency for the government?

The citizens ARE paying those taxes but being fooled with all this foolishness by the pols claiming they are going to make the corporations pay.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 110

@rk9152 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@pc6063 wrote:

If teachers, waiters, factory workers, etc., all pay taxes to support school systems and local municipalities, why is ok that businesses--large or small don't?   When businesses don't pay their fair share of taxes, the costs of running the above, fall to the little guys--you and me.  Just a way for the rich to get richer on the backs of the little people.

Because, when a teacher pays taxes - the teacher pays taxes. When a company pays taxes - the consumer actually pays those taxes.

The constant fallacy of the corporations and their excuse that when they present consumers with lower priced products they are better off. 
Even Trump has stated and  spoken about the unfairness of companies bringing products into the US and paying no taxes. He would like to impose tarifs to those corporations, Is he wrong now?

I'm not sure of your point. It is my position that companies add taxes into their cost of doing business, and, as such, it is the consumer that really pays the taxes. Are we in agreement???

Not necessarilty. There are many areas within a business where the cost of taxes can be recovered, not just from the consumer.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 110

@rker321 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@pc6063 wrote:

If teachers, waiters, factory workers, etc., all pay taxes to support school systems and local municipalities, why is ok that businesses--large or small don't?   When businesses don't pay their fair share of taxes, the costs of running the above, fall to the little guys--you and me.  Just a way for the rich to get richer on the backs of the little people.

Because, when a teacher pays taxes - the teacher pays taxes. When a company pays taxes - the consumer actually pays those taxes.

The constant fallacy of the corporations and their excuse that when they present consumers with lower priced products they are better off. 
Even Trump has stated and  spoken about the unfairness of companies bringing products into the US and paying no taxes. He would like to impose tarifs to those corporations, Is he wrong now?

I'm not sure of your point. It is my position that companies add taxes into their cost of doing business, and, as such, it is the consumer that really pays the taxes. Are we in agreement???

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 110

@rk9152 wrote:

Skip the class warfare and stick to the basics. Taxes are a cost of doing business therefore included in the price charged. Hence, the consumer pays them.

True, but only partly. When the business doesn't pay costs incurred at the location of that business, those costs are absorbed somewhere else by some one else.  There's more to it than that, but for simplicity, let's leave it at that. 

The 'business' draws needed service[s].  Those services may be needed everywhere its product is financed, manufactured, marketed sold or used.  Cost to the public is almost never fully recovered by the public at any of those places.  'You guys' can chase the rabbit down this hole forever and never catch him. 

Example:....an analysis, done so long ago I no longer have it in my files, showed NO skyscraper pays or has ever paid the full cost of the services it requires from the jurisdiction where it is located, back to the jurisdiction where it is located.  That means the taxpayer subsidizes that thing, whether or not the taxpayer know it.   Most don't.   It never shows up on the books that way.  This is something you have to think about yourself, probably for quite awhile, so you can argue with yourself along the way and not with me. I've been there, done that.  It's your turn.

All this could be analyzed correctly using our current technology.  That's not where the problem is at all.  The problem 'lies' elsewhere...  I'll leave it at that.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 110

@KidBoy2 wrote:
If teachers, waiters, factory workers, etc., all pay taxes to support school systems and local municipalities, why is ok that businesses--large or small don't?

====================================================

Businesses might not pay Federal income taxes because they are not making a profit or other reasons but they do pay real estate taxes that support or schools, roads and our police.

What about some of the biggest and most profitable corporations in America not paying any taxes and actually getting subsidies in the $$Millions$$ and $$Billion$$ ?????

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 110

@rk9152 wrote:

@pc6063 wrote:

So then you are saying that companies should not pay taxes ?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 110

@nyadrn wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

An example of the latter - the Acme Widget Company can manufacture and sell their widgets at $7.00 each. But some people can't afford the $7.00 so the government decides they should be $5.00. Soon the company goes out of business and nobody has any widgets. Look to the USSR economy for that model.

I think I must be getting old and not reading correctly many of the posts that I see. I believe that I read somewhere in this message board that we should look at Russia for a market that we should all be tapping into. Was I correct?

No  that was an example of the bad model. 

No ......... that was a totally off-topic statement that has nothing to do with some of the largest and most profitable companies in America not paying taxes.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 110

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

They are not necessarily bad, but their purpose is to make a profit.  Their purpose is NOT to think of the Public's welfare above their own, that is what Government is for. They need to pay their fair share just like everyone else.

Yes - that is why the ideal package is corporations operating in a free, competitive marketplace trying to deliver the most for least cost and the government working to protect the public interest is ideal. The dual purposes makes the best package for the citizens. Corporations without any restrictions or total government control of the economy are equally bad ideas.

An example of the latter - the Acme Widget Company can manufacture and sell their widgets at $7.00 each. But some people can't afford the $7.00 so the government decides they should be $5.00. Soon the company goes out of business and nobody has any widgets. Look to the USSR economy for that model.

What the heck does that have to do with the fact that corporations should pay taxes and that some of the biggest and most profitable ones don't ??????

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors