AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Pretending You Care About the Poor

Message 41 of 41

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2017/11/25/paul-ryan-guide-pretending-you-care-about-poor

The Paul Ryan Guide to Pretending You Care About the Poor

A handy guide just in time for the tax debate

Once, at a town hall in Wisconsin, someone asked known anti-poverty crusader Paul Ryan (R-WI) the following question:

“I know that you’re Catholic, as am I, and it seems to me that most of the Republicans in the Congress are not willing to stand with the poor and working class as evidenced in the recent debates about health care and the anticipated tax reform. So I’d like to ask you how you see yourself upholding the church’s social teaching that has the idea that God is always on the side of the poor and dispossessed, as should we be.”

It’s a tricky one, but if you want to simultaneously cut taxes for rich people and benefits for poor people, you need to be ready for it. So, just in time for the tax debate, I’ve written a handy step-by-step guide on how to convince your constituents that a help-the-rich, whack-the-poor agenda is really what’s best for everybody:

I'm not Catholic, though I do admire Pope Francis, that Pope is dope. I'm not particularly religious. I believe the universe is 14 billion years old, the earth is 4 billion years old, life on earth was seeded from space in the form of RNA and DNA rained down into the oceans, and that life evolved from lower forms to higher forms. I believe in God, like a lot of people do because I feel like something is there, I also believe that feeling is part of being human, ingrained into human genes by evolution, and those feelings are the basis for religion, laws, and morals.

I think believing in God is natural, it's part of being human, which is why people throughout the ages have believed  in God in one form or another, people believe in a lot of things, gods, devils, angles, demons, aliens, monsters, bigfoot, the list is endless, but it is those beliefs that appeal to our ingrained predisposition to helping people that need help that are most widely accepted.

Those feelings help the human race to survive, it is what normal human beings have evolved to be, it is why helping the poor, the old, the infirm, the people that need help,  predates the written word.

Yes "God is always on the side of the poor and dispossessed, as should we be.” "The " as should be " part is important. That is the gauge to measure humanity or inhumanity.

The song and dance to convince people the wealthy need and bigger pile of money and the poor need a smaller loaf of bread ( for their own good ) goes against what it what means to be human.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors