Prevention is the best medicine when it comes to avoiding surprise medical bills! Learn more.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Pretending You Care About the Poor

Message 21 of 41

ChasKy53:  Dodge things if you want. People who support Republican tax policies that redistribute wealth and income from the 99% to the 1% only 'pretend' to want to help the poor, regardless of their supposed religion.

I think it's just a way of getting attention. When confronted with facts he just makes up ridiculous stuff to wriggle out of a real answer or whines about what we say. He's not worth trying to have a serious discussion.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 41

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Sadly, it is not a "dead cat". People will continue to intentionally mix up the requirement to help our fellow man and the demand  that government redistribute property.

Like I said, it seems to be OK with you if income and wealth is redistributed from the poor and the 99% to the 1%, you support Republican tax policies that do just that.

I can't tell if you are intentionally changing the topic or simply cannot understand the difference between "help those in need" and "take someone else's money to help those in need". Since this topic started with religious references, I believe I am correct in saying that religious demands are personal, not collective.

Dodge things if you want. People who support Republican tax policies that redistribute wealth and income from the 99% to the 1% only 'pretend' to want to help the poor, regardless of their supposed religion.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 41

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Sadly, it is not a "dead cat". People will continue to intentionally mix up the requirement to help our fellow man and the demand  that government redistribute property.

Like I said, it seems to be OK with you if income and wealth is redistributed from the poor and the 99% to the 1%, you support Republican tax policies that do just that.

I can't tell if you are intentionally changing the topic or simply cannot understand the difference between "help those in need" and "take someone else's money to help those in need". Since this topic started with religious references, I believe I am correct in saying that religious demands are personal, not collective.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 41

@Panjandrum wrote:

rk9152:  2) I know of no religion that says, "Take that other guy's money and redistribute it". To the best of my knowledge, religions all teach personal responsibility.

I do know of a religion that says just that. It's called "Republicanism".  You do know the huge tax cuts pending for the 1% are going to get paid for by redistributing the money needed out of the other 99% don't you?

Try to follow the conversation. That was about a poster's Catholicism.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 41

@rk9152 wrote:

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 41

@MIseker wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Panjandrum wrote:

Paul Ryan is an Ayn Rand acolyte who believes in individualism over collectivism: in other words the idea of giving help to those who need it for the betterment of society is anathema to him. If anyone can't make it without help, then maybe it's best to cut them loose. Of course he can't come out and say that without sounding like a sociopath, so we get the jive talk about lifting the poor by making them "free" of government interference (aka aid). This is like removing people's life jackets and telling them how free they will be to swim without the humiliation of being saved. He's a total fraud without a shred of empathy.

You are skipping over a key point - "giving help" as an individual responsibility as opposed to the "Take then other guy's money and use it to help".

Giving help is not anathema to we on the right. Distributing other people's property and claiming "we care" is.

So what do you think about Ayn Rand ?

I think she's dead.

Is your post the sort of think that you refer to as "trolling"?......and then seek someone's attention by throwing TOS in? ......for some unknown reason?

Meanwhile - so, what do you think about my post?

dead cat.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 41

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

I think she's dead.

Is your post the sort of think that you refer to as "trolling"?......and then seek someone's attention by throwing TOS in? ......for some unknown reason?

I think that Ayn Rand is alive a well in the hearts of some on the extreme right.

I have no idea why you bring up the TOS and "trolling", it seems to be on your mind a lot.

As far as your post .................... you sure don't seem to be concerned about "distributing other people's property (or income and wealth)"  as long as it is distributed from the 99% to the 1%.

What a silly thing to say. Why would I want my bucks transferred to George Soros or Tom Steyer?

As to "trolling" and "TOS" - just pointing out a game you play - trying to get someone's attention.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 41

rk9152:  2) I know of no religion that says, "Take that other guy's money and redistribute it". To the best of my knowledge, religions all teach personal responsibility.

I do know of a religion that says just that. It's called "Republicanism".  You do know the huge tax cuts pending for the 1% are going to get paid for by redistributing the money needed out of the other 99% don't you?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 41

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Panjandrum wrote:

Paul Ryan is an Ayn Rand acolyte who believes in individualism over collectivism: in other words the idea of giving help to those who need it for the betterment of society is anathema to him. If anyone can't make it without help, then maybe it's best to cut them loose. Of course he can't come out and say that without sounding like a sociopath, so we get the jive talk about lifting the poor by making them "free" of government interference (aka aid). This is like removing people's life jackets and telling them how free they will be to swim without the humiliation of being saved. He's a total fraud without a shred of empathy.

You are skipping over a key point - "giving help" as an individual responsibility as opposed to the "Take then other guy's money and use it to help".

Giving help is not anathema to we on the right. Distributing other people's property and claiming "we care" is.

I think she's dead.

dead cat.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 41

So...this topic is about something Ryan said about what he 'believes'.  The other day, somebody was talking about the line of succession to POTUS and floated a 'what if' I hadn't thought of....probably because I didn't want to.  Oh, well.

In case you all don't know the line of succession to POTUS should the sitting president be unable, for any number of reasons, to do the job.  Goes to the VPOTUS.  IF the sitting VPOTUS can't step into the position and stay there, for any number of reasons, the Speaker of the House, that's Ryan, gets to be POTUS....unless....he loses that position before he is sworn in like IF the Republicans lose enough seats that the Democrats get to pick the Speaker of the House.  Speaker Pro-Tem of the Senate steps up to the plate if Ryan wiffs. That's Orrin Hatch.  IF that don't work, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson gets tagged.

See....what got floated was Hillary running for Congress as a Representative.  The idea being that that election might be a shoo-in.   Then IF the Dems got enough seats in 2018, they'd get rid of Pelosi, pick Hillary and justice would be served.  I wondered if I should take it seriously. You know....in the 'new normal' even clowns have to be taken seriously.  Look at 'the donald'.

That does relate to the topic at  hand....doesn't it?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors