Honored Social Butterfly

Press conferences show desperately biased media are no match for President Trump

By Gayle Trotter

Millions of people worldwide are watching President Donald Trump’s frequent press conferences on the global pandemic. (Better ratings than the Bachelor! Maybe better ratings than Monday Night Football!)

There are two striking things about these press conferences. The first is what they reveal about the media, and the second is what they show about Mr. Trump.

On the first point, the interactions between the president and the press show that the craven, absurdly biased, anti-Trump, pro-China media corps still have not changed their approach, despite an ongoing global crisis and their repeated efforts to cause him to fail.

The media corps have doubled and tripled down on their attacks against the Trump administration. There is no spirit of unity that pervaded the post-9/11 atmosphere. No coming together of national interest in the face of a modern-day plague.

A new strain of biased reporting has emerged: “Live TV enables the President to lie to Americans about Covid-19,” says the Washington Post. Add to that a new mutation of lazy coverage: “Save time: Assume Trump is inept and lying.”

This is no surprise from the newspaper that publishes a rolling catalogue of so-called “lies” supposedly told by the president. “President Trump made 16,241 false or misleading claims in his first three years”! A fictional number, but more manageable than tabulating the false or misleading claims of the Washington Post or the general phenomenon of “opinion journalism pretending to some sort of heightened objectivity,” as James Taranto has repeatedly said.

On and on it goes. The New York Times: “Google gives cover to Trump’s lies.” The Atlantic: “Trump’s blatant coronavirus lies.” The Daily Beast: “Trump’s coronavirus lies are an infection. This is the only cure” (suggesting “doses of truth”).

Here’s another representative headline: “Broadcasting Trump’s Coronavirus Briefings Live Is a Danger to Public Health.” A new twist? Not even close. This one is as old as his time in office: “President Donald Trump Is a Threat to Public Health,” claimed the Harvard Public Health Review in 2017. “The first task of the doctor is political,” said the laughably un-medical argument. “The struggle against disease must begin with a war against bad government.” (Nothing about undercooked bat meat.)

And, while corporate media attack Mr. Trump and brand him a liar, they uncritically republish Chinese communist propaganda in a manner reminiscent of Pravda’s dissemination of USSR disinformation.

Lacking professional skepticism, and despite early evidence that the Chinese government covered up the catastrophe as it unfolded in Wuhan unimpeded while brave Chinese health experts risked their lives to spread the truth, the China-credulous media continue to parrot the Chinese government’s official reports. Some of the US media’s coverage even praised the Chinese government for “helping Italy” in its fight against the virus.

With all of these forces arrayed against the president, a fair-minded observer might wonder if this is a fair fight. It’s not.

And that leads me to my second observation about the press conferences. Mr. Trump is winning.

The colloquies between Mr. Trump and media showcase his mastery of the press conference format and, let’s face it, complete dominance over his adversaries known as White House media correspondents. The press conferences succeed so well that Mr. Trump’s adversaries in the media even want to stop live broadcasting and straight-news reporting during a pandemic.

Once again Mr. Trump is disrupting the media narrative. Even with his campaign rallies cancelled and most Americans unable to engage in their regular daily lives, the president’s disruptive ability as a communicator harken back to his 2016 presidential campaign, when virtually all forces of the mainstream media were unable to stop the steam-locomotive power of the Trump Train.

The press briefings are yet another medium in which Mr. Trump can speak directly and unfiltered to voters. Viewers who tune in and watch the briefings live can see firsthand Mr. Trump’s mastery of the process. Media mendacity cannot stop him. Even with journalists’ misleading snippets and their spliced-together fragments designed to deceive or isolate words from context, the president continues to win.

When a reporter tried to ambush Mr. Trump with a selectively misleading quote from an earlier press conference, the president forced the reporter to admit on live television that he had omitted the sentences in which Mr. Trump praised his team and the Army Corps of Engineers.

As a Bloomberg reporter readied an attempt at a gotcha question, Mr. Trump asked, “How’s Michael doing? Good?” as the audience chuckled.

In a defining moment, and my own personal favorite, another reporter asked, “How many deaths are acceptable?” to which the president immediately responded, “How many deaths are acceptable to me? None. Okay? None, if that’s your question.

To this gotcha question designed to elicit a gaffe, the president delivered a knockout punch. No deaths are acceptable. Pure and simple. The media continue to try to trip up the president during these press briefings. Having repeatedly failed, they now want to shut down live coverage.

The pandemic has not changed the mainstream media’s war against Mr. Trump. As much as they try to leverage our current crisis to debilitate the president, their efforts continue to backfire.

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Apparently the RW doesn't bother to read their own links.    The "article" slams donald - but apparently to the RW, they somehow believe that ratings are more important than the death rate by Covid19.    https://jalopnik.com/how-tv-ratings-work-1795820157

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

In reality tRump has tried to use the press conferences as his rallies. Another reality is that trump can't stand to be asked honest and relevant questions, when it happens he smarts off or throws insults and his supporters claim they are biased. It is true that the reporters can't match trump, none of them are capable of being the vile hind end that trump is because it comes so naturally to him.

Dump tRump in November !

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

Millions of people worldwide are watching President Donald Trump’s frequent press conferences on the global pandemic. (Better ratings than the Bachelor! Maybe better ratings than Monday Night Football!)

There are two striking things about these press conferences. The first is what they reveal about the media, and the second is what they show about Mr. Trump.

On the first point, the interactions between the president and the press show that the craven, absurdly biased, anti-Trump, pro-China media corps still have not changed their approach, despite an ongoing global crisis and their repeated efforts to cause him to fail.

The media corps have doubled and tripled down on their attacks against the Trump administration. There is no spirit of unity that pervaded the post-9/11 atmosphere. No coming together of national interest in the face of a modern-day plague.

VIMTSTL
Esteemed Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

Again with the Trotter trash talk.  OK, whatever.

ANY president (Republican or Democrat) would have "really tremendous" ratings during a pandemic.  Better ratings than the Bachelor or MNF is a dubious distinction and not really comparable to ratings from the president during a crisis when he is broadcast on every channel. (Although, I know, IMPOTUS is really proud of this and likes to brag about it, but seriously?)  This is not a reality TV show.  Stayed tuned ("We'll see what happens").  Coming next week ("I'll make a decision soon").

Reporters have the right and obligations to ask the questions that many Americans want to know.  Like what if they're scared or don't have insurance and what the hell did Jared mean by "our stockpile"?  Scared Americans were dismissed because their president said it was a "nasty question".  Uninsured Americans got their question answered by watching their president accuse the Fox News reporter (no less!) who asked the question, of working for CNN.  And the Jared debacle?  Clearly IMPOTUS had no clear or feasible answer and started a childish spat with the reporter.

If the IMPOTUS can't handle the heat, then he needs to get off the podium and let the adults handle it.  He can go back to the playroom and tweet, tweet.  Or he can pull up his big boy pants and deal with it.  Lead by example. 

Phooey.

Honored Social Butterfly

Credibility is very important for Our Leaders. And if trump has no credibilty, then it speaks volumes about his character. 
Why should we follow a reality tv person, who berates others, makes false promises, distorts reality, and wouldn't know the truth if it stood right in front of him...and wants all to pay homage to him, is a child, and is as selfish and self centered as the day is long. 
How can anyone desire those attributes in a leader? 

Honored Social Butterfly

Trump as we know William has ZERO credibility. ZERO!
Honored Social Butterfly

@Tom5678 

Yes, and what he does is to sow chaos, confusion, fear, and division. From there, and to determine his real objectives, look no further than see his climb towards dictatorship...he tries to hold back, but his objective keeps oozing out around the edges...and why else would he worship dictators...they are his role models...but they are not ours!

Honored Social Butterfly

jimc91:  

Yes, the world is watching, but as I said before it's like the urge to rubberneck at a car wreck. It's the modern day equivalent of watching Nero fiddle while Rome burns. Only the hardcore faithful think Trump is doing anything but putting on a bizarre display of ignorance and self aggrandizing. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Trump finds it frustrating when they ask him questions today  about the things he or Jared said or did yesterday.  All that "fake media" stuff is tough to sell when they keep rolling the tape.  Some local news outlets have stopped carrying Trump's daily misinformation sessions entirely. 

Honored Social Butterfly

The vast majority are waiting for tRump to shut up so they can get some actual information from his staff.

Only Tadpoles tune in to be lied to and listen to their Toad brag about what other people have as if he had a part in it and then lie about what great plans he's laid for the future that never comes.

Bronze Conversationalist

I think you just like to get us all going....
Sir Granny Tracy

Biased media?  Gayle Trotter?

Case closed.

Honored Social Butterfly

MsStretch posted..

Biased media? Gayle Trotter?

Case closed.

===============================================

No its not..

Biased media. Like Rachel Maddow? Joy Reid? Nicolle Wallace? just to remind you of a few on the left that care more about making things put to advance their political party than being objective....you like?

Gayle Trotter...grasping at straws?
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

KidBoy2:
Biased media. Like Rachel Maddow? Joy Reid? Nicolle Wallace? just to remind you of a few on the left that care more about making things put to advance their political party than being objective....you like?

The media being discussed in this topic is the media attending Trump's press conferences, not pundits with cable shows. 🙂

Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:
MsStretch posted..

Biased media? Gayle Trotter?

Case closed.

===============================================

No its not..

Gayle Trotter...grasping at straws?

so give me some facts that the biased media Made up.

Honored Social Butterfly

Biased media. Like Rachel Maddow? Joy Reid? Nicolle Wallace? just to remind you of a few on the left that care more about making things put to advance their political party than being objective.

The left on this board..you lie and I will Kudo your post.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

Biased media. Like Rachel Maddow? Joy Reid? Nicolle Wallace? just to remind you of a few on the left that care more about making things put to advance their political party than being objective.

The left on this board..you lie and I will Kudo your post.

Yes there is biased media like FOX, One America and a few others. Just yesterday there was a segment on TV  about FOX and it stars and how they act, and what they say. Over the last week I have heard the FOX nonsense from 2 people in my area, on TV, and on the Internet. The sad thing is the people believe the nonsense they heard. The lady I was talking to at the store could repeat the lines she heard on Fox but could not explain what they were about. She finally gave up and said well I just love Trump. Here was a person who has been hurt badly by Trump and does not even realize it. We have just seen the Navy fire a ships Capt. who was trying to save his crew from the virus due to inaction by the Navy in getting medical help to them. Even the Capt. has the virus. Just listen to Trump on what happened and you know right away Trump was behind this as the Capt. did not honor the mob boss and blew the whistle. I  sure would not want to be in the Armed Forces now as with the tight quarters they live and work in the virus is a killer. Trump would know nothing about that since he is a draft dodger. I hope all vets, and people who support our Service People rise up and go after Trump on this one.

Honored Social Butterfly

It should be obvious to all what is going on every afternoon. Trump can not do rallies with his followers which he loves. He tells them nonsense, and they bow, cheer, shout what they are told to their dear leader. He has replaced the raillery's with his press conif. where he has a group of employees join him on stage to talk about the virus. They pay him homage, tell him how great his plans are and he is saving the country. He can trot out the Generals in full Uniform as stage decoration when he wants. He starts off with who knows what but since the networks now have fact checkers ready to interrupt  to supply the truth when he goes to far (not FOX), and have started to cut away from him. He takes questions from the press who he can call names, cut mikes, etc when he does not like the questions. This is Trumps replacement for the rallies. Today we were told there would be none, but what happened we had one. There was no big new news just Trump needing to perform. Go back and look at what the mental health experts have told us about Trump. It all fits into his needs not the countries  need. This is what happens when you have a President with mental problems.

Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 

Okay, what have they said that makes them biased?

Because, they show the irrationality of trump's actions or inactions. Or they don't support the fox news agenda of misinformation?

That doesn't seem biased...once again, trump supporters don't like truth, reality, or to criticize the supreme leader!

Honored Social Butterfly

The big picture is that we watch trump whine, play the victim, and make up false facts. 
My suggestion: quit broadcasting the trump political rallies disguised as press conferences, and stop giving him airtime to further embarrass Our Nation...since he's not doing anything to protect anyone! Except himself. 

Bronze Conversationalist

@williamb39198
I listen to my governor and to my mayor. When Trump is on I mute him; there's nothing he has to say that I need to hear.
Sir Granny Tracy

Aha!  I just saw how Gayle Trotter's opinion came up.  IMPOTUS has been retweeting it.

Honored Social Butterfly

jimc91:   Millions of people worldwide are watching President Donald Trump’s frequent press conferences on the global pandemic. (Better ratings than the Bachelor! Maybe better ratings than Monday Night Football!)

It's almost the same as the instinctual urge to gawk at a car wreck.

Honored Social Butterfly

A most revealing trait generated by highly biased right wing  articles ..............

THE WORST LIARS ARE THOSE WHO LIE TO THEMSELVES.

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

THE WORST LIARS ARE THOSE WHO LIE TO THEMSELVES.

I look in the mirror.

Seriously, do these coveralls make me look fat?

No Dude, you are fat, when the zombies attack you're going to be the the one they catch.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png