Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

'Presidency For Sale' - Foreign Regimes, Others Spend Big at Trump Properties to "Curry Favor"

Foreign Regimes, Others Spend Big At Trump Properties To "Curry Favor

By:  Juliea Ainsley and Riel Gardella

 

WASHINGTON — Four foreign governments, 16 special interest groups and 35 Republican congressional campaign committees spent money at Trump properties in 2017, according to data compiled by the government watchdog group Public Citizen.

A lawyer for President-elect Donald Trump outlined a plan during the presidential transition that was meant to resolve concerns about conflicts of interest between his presidency and his businesses. But in a report called "Presidency for Sale," Public Citizen found that Trump properties in Washington, Florida and elsewhere seem to have benefited from Trump's election as groups with something to gain from U.S. policy have paid to stay or dine there more than 60 times.

"There is no way to escape the conclusion that these events are being held at the Trump properties as a way to curry favor with the president," said Robert Weissman, president of Public Citizen. "It's just extraordinarily unlikely that these groups have an affinity for the Trump brand [that's] so great [that's] unrelated to the fact that the president happens to be named Trump."

 

Other well-known Republican politicians' campaigns spending money at Trump properties included those of Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee, who has feuded with Trump and House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy and Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, both of California. NBC News previously reported that Rohrabacher has known ties to Russia and that his meeting with Trump's former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn is of interest to special counsel Robert Mueller's investigators.

Other non-political organizations detailed in the report included GEO Group, a for-profit prison company that has benefited from Trump administration policies, and the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

 

Much More At LINK:

 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/watchdog-foreign-regimes-others-spend-big-trump-proper...


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:

@mandm84 wrote:

" The jury is still out " and " you can't prove Hillary is totally innocent " really Tex ? Are you still having nightmares about her ?


He comes here to post about her.


And who do you come here to post about? 

0 Kudos
196 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@mandm84 wrote:

" The jury is still out " and " you can't prove Hillary is totally innocent " really Tex ? Are you still having nightmares about her ?


He comes here to post about her.


And who do you come here to post about? 


For one thing, I posted this topic which you tried to denigrate with your Hillary fetish.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
187 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:



For one thing, I posted this topic which you tried to denigrate with your Hillary fetish.


Apparently you have your Trump fetish, so we're even.

0 Kudos
207 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@mandm84 wrote:

" The jury is still out " and " you can't prove Hillary is totally innocent " really Tex ? Are you still having nightmares about her ?


No, she's nothing but a has been.  The ones who are having obsessive nightmares are those who cannot accept the person who was constitutionally elected to be President of the United States for better or worse. 

 

Further Hillary is the 'elephant in the room' in the minds of everyone who detests Trump.  Personally I haven't cared for either one and there is no doubt that every candidate in the last election was of mediocre worth.  She was attempting to follow Obama's claim to fame as being the 'first' in a category.

0 Kudos
194 Views
48
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@mandm84 wrote:

" The jury is still out " and " you can't prove Hillary is totally innocent " really Tex ? Are you still having nightmares about her ?


No, she's nothing but a has been.  The ones who are having obsessive nightmares are those who cannot accept the person who was constitutionally elected to be President of the United States for better or worse. 

 

Further Hillary is the 'elephant in the room' in the minds of everyone who detests Trump.  Personally I haven't cared for either one and there is no doubt that every candidate in the last election was of mediocre worth.  She was attempting to follow Obama's claim to fame as being the 'first' in a category.


The only ones who continually bring up Hillary are those who feel an undying need to excuse Trump. Whenever Trump does anything stupid or potentially illegal we can be assured that one of Trump’s protectors will respond with “But Hillary...”

Honored Social Butterfly


@Snoopy48 wrote:



The only ones who continually bring up Hillary are those who feel an undying need to excuse Trump. Whenever Trump does anything stupid or potentially illegal we can be assured that one of Trump’s protectors will respond with “But Hillary...”


On the other hand, even if I'm not exactly a Trump supporter, when an incident like what happened in Hawaii, why is Trump brought up?  Was Trump responsible for the floods from Hurricane Harvey that innuated homes, including mine?  Some would blame him.

 

I see a double standard among those on the left here.

0 Kudos
189 Views
46
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:



The only ones who continually bring up Hillary are those who feel an undying need to excuse Trump. Whenever Trump does anything stupid or potentially illegal we can be assured that one of Trump’s protectors will respond with “But Hillary...”


On the other hand, even if I'm not exactly a Trump supporter, when an incident like what happened in Hawaii, why is Trump brought up?  Was Trump responsible for the floods from Hurricane Harvey that innuated homes, including mine?  Some would blame him.

 

I see a double standard among those on the left here.


I have been reviewing a lot of posts over the last few months and I do not see Hillary in just about all of them. Hillary returned when you returned. Sorry that is fact. Be careful on floods. I do not think you want to bring that up as there are a number of sides to that story. Ask the people of PR about flood help.

0 Kudos
182 Views
34
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@john258 wrote:



I have been reviewing a lot of posts over the last few months and I do not see Hillary in just about all of them. Hillary returned when you returned. Sorry that is fact. Be careful on floods. I do not think you want to bring that up as there are a number of sides to that story. Ask the people of PR about flood help.


I don't think I need anyone's advice about flood help because we took care of ourselves while also receiving help from the government through FEMA.  But we didn't just sit back waiting for assistance but took care of most on our own, including our own funds. And we got back to normal before others.

 

Further, apparently you are free with your advice but not with credentials to qualify what you post.  You haven't answered what makes you more of an authority on certain incidents in the past except to say you served your military and then went to work for a living. 

 

 

0 Kudos
183 Views
33
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:



I have been reviewing a lot of posts over the last few months and I do not see Hillary in just about all of them. Hillary returned when you returned. Sorry that is fact. Be careful on floods. I do not think you want to bring that up as there are a number of sides to that story. Ask the people of PR about flood help.


I don't think I need anyone's advice about flood help because we took care of ourselves while also receiving help from the government through FEMA.  But we didn't just sit back waiting for assistance but took care of most on our own, including our own funds. And we got back to normal before others.

 

Further, apparently you are free with your advice but not with credentials to qualify what you post.  You haven't answered what makes you more of an authority on certain incidents in the past except to say you served your military and then went to work for a living. 

 


Do ya' think that if you keep this personal with other posters and keep it off topic that it will get this thread closed?

 

Did you even read the long article that I posted as this topic?


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:



Do ya' think that if you keep this personal with other posters and keep it off topic that it will get this thread closed?

 

Did you even read the long article that I posted as this topic?


 

Why is it that when others make posts you don't agree with that treads being closed is brought up?

 

Why should I read long articles?  Why not summurize?

0 Kudos
223 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:



Do ya' think that if you keep this personal with other posters and keep it off topic that it will get this thread closed?

 

Did you even read the long article that I posted as this topic?


 

Why is it that when others make posts you don't agree with that treads being closed is brought up?

 

Why should I read long articles?  Why not summurize?


The article makes the point of the topic, it basically is the topic,  and it shows how trump profits in his personal business through the office of the presidency. If you wished to  have an intelligent adult discussion it makes sense to read the article, you cannot debunk something you haven't even read.  But ................ you seem much more interested in making things personal with other posters and going off topic, especially by practicing your Hillary fetish. "Summarizing" is not going off topic or making things personal with other posters.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:



Do ya' think that if you keep this personal with other posters and keep it off topic that it will get this thread closed?

 

Did you even read the long article that I posted as this topic?


 

Why is it that when others make posts you don't agree with that treads being closed is brought up?

 

Why should I read long articles?  Why not summurize?


The article makes the point of the topic, it basically is the topic,  and it shows how trump profits in his personal business through the office of the presidency. If you wished to  have an intelligent adult discussion it makes sense to read the article, you cannot debunk something you haven't even read.  But ................ you seem much more interested in making things personal with other posters and going off topic, especially by practicing your Hillary fetish. "Summarizing" is not going off topic or making things personal with other posters.


You have been on here a long time as I have. I think what we are seeing is a really sad thing.

Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:



I have been reviewing a lot of posts over the last few months and I do not see Hillary in just about all of them. Hillary returned when you returned. Sorry that is fact. Be careful on floods. I do not think you want to bring that up as there are a number of sides to that story. Ask the people of PR about flood help.


I don't think I need anyone's advice about flood help because we took care of ourselves while also receiving help from the government through FEMA.  But we didn't just sit back waiting for assistance but took care of most on our own, including our own funds. And we got back to normal before others.

 

Further, apparently you are free with your advice but not with credentials to qualify what you post.  You haven't answered what makes you more of an authority on certain incidents in the past except to say you served your military and then went to work for a living. 

 

 


I am glad you took care of your self after the storm, and you are receiving help from the government. That help is being supplied by people like me through our taxes so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that the people of PR did not receive the same help as you did from the government. Why? Were they the wrong type of people for Trump. You live in a flood plain as we have learned, yet your state govt would not follow Army Corp. recommendations for projects to stop flooding. You have no zoning in Texas which has allowed all types of things to be done that increased the damage a flood can do. There were a high number of people in Texas who did not have flood insurance as we are told the State did not push it. A few years ago when NJ had a bad storm your people in Congress held up aid to the people there in need, and NJ had followed Army Corp guidelines. The dreamers you are against helped you as they pay taxes and Texas is using that money as part of what the Feds gave. Please get back to normal.

0 Kudos
179 Views
28
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@john258 wrote:



I am glad you took care of your self after the storm, and you are receiving help from the government. That help is being supplied by people like me through our taxes so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that the people of PR did not receive the same help as you did from the government.


.The income taxes from Puerto Rico goes to their government, not to Washington.  Yet they want to use tax money paid by those of the continental states to help them?  My neighbors and I helped ourselves while waiting for government assistance.  From appearances the people of Puerto Rico kept moaning and complaining that they were receiving no help from Washington.

 

I have lived here for over forty years; the property has been in the family for longer than that.  Old-timers here can't remember when this area flooded like last year.  It has been way over a century.  Besides you have no idea of what area of Texas I live in.  More of your speculation.

 

According to you anyone breaking the law including gamling or other illegal activities are ok as long as they pay taxes.  The law is the law.  So dreamers are allowed to become citizens, then other illegals pour in and the same argument will continue over and over and we'll become a clone of Mexico and Latin America...as if we aren't already.

0 Kudos
179 Views
27
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:



I am glad you took care of your self after the storm, and you are receiving help from the government. That help is being supplied by people like me through our taxes so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that the people of PR did not receive the same help as you did from the government.


.The income taxes from Puerto Rico goes to their government, not to Washington.  Yet they want to use tax money paid by those of the continental states to help them?  My neighbors and I helped ourselves while waiting for government assistance.  From appearances the people of Puerto Rico kept moaning and complaining that they were receiving no help from Washington.

 

I have lived here for over forty years; the property has been in the family for longer than that.  Old-timers here can't remember when this area flooded like last year.  It has been way over a century.  Besides you have no idea of what area of Texas I live in.  More of your speculation.

 

According to you anyone breaking the law including gamling or other illegal activities are ok as long as they pay taxes.  The law is the law.  So dreamers are allowed to become citizens, then other illegals pour in and the same argument will continue over and over and we'll become a clone of Mexico and Latin America...as if we aren't already.


The people of PR are American Citizens and as such should get the same things everyone else gets. If PR does not get aid then the people of Texas should not as a lot of the damage was the result of the State Govt. of Texas not doing its job, and now passing on to the rest of us the bill for their failure, and they were elected by the people of Texas. Your last para. shows how low you have gone. You are taking money from states that have gambling, and you act toward Dreamers as Hitler did toward some of his people. It is clear you hate people from South America. Would you support throwing out anyone not born here, or the children of anyone not born here. Real sad.

0 Kudos
217 Views
26
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@john258 wrote:


The people of PR are American Citizens and as such should get the same things everyone else gets.


They have their income taxes going to a government that wastes them.  And they are subsidized by our taxes.

 

As far as anyone who violates our laws by being here illegally, I have no use for, whatever country they come from. 

 

You are allowing your partisanship opinions dictate your posts and posts about others.

 

Have a good evening.  This discussion is over.


0 Kudos
214 Views
25
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:


The people of PR are American Citizens and as such should get the same things everyone else gets.


They have their income taxes going to a government that wastes them.  And they are subsidized by our taxes.

 

As far as anyone who violates our laws by .......................



This topic is about all of the things that Trump has done to use his presidential office for profits of some kind. This topic is not about most that you have posted about.

 

I furnished an article, a long and informative one, for anyone to read and try to debunk if they can. Some haven't read it and they must be afraid that they can't debunk any of it. Either that or they have a different motive for being here than to have honest debate. They demonstrate this by constantly going off-topic.

 

Just one of many things mentioned in the article:

 

 Public Citizen found that Trump properties in Washington, Florida and elsewhere seem to have benefited from Trump's election as groups with something to gain from U.S. policy have paid to stay or dine there more than 60 times.

 

Care to comment?


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
198 Views
24
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:

 

Just one of many things mentioned in the article:

 

 Public Citizen found that Trump properties in Washington, Florida and elsewhere seem to have benefited from Trump's election as groups with something to gain from U.S. policy have paid to stay or dine there more than 60 times.

 

Care to comment?


Care to comment about a certain former Secretary of State said to benefit greatly by official decisions?  Of course the answer from the 'faithful' will be that this Secretary of State is not the topic...  Didn't the previous President benefit financially from books he wrote that was purchased solely because of his office?

 

Of course everyone in liberal-land will say that is off-topic to avoid unpleasant discussion.

0 Kudos
175 Views
23
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

 

Just one of many things mentioned in the article:

 

 Public Citizen found that Trump properties in Washington, Florida and elsewhere seem to have benefited from Trump's election as groups with something to gain from U.S. policy have paid to stay or dine there more than 60 times.

 

Care to comment?


Care to comment about a certain former Secretary of State said to benefit greatly by official decisions?  Of course the answer from the 'faithful' will be that this Secretary of State is not the topic...  Didn't the previous President benefit financially from books he wrote that was purchased solely because of his office?

 

Of course everyone in liberal-land will say that is off-topic to avoid unpleasant discussion.


If you seek a "comment" about a former Secretary of State then start a topic about it.

 

You keep going off topic because you cannot discount anything in the article I posted. (off topic comments already got another thread of mine closed) Of course it's difficult to debunk something if you don't know what's there. I gave one example of something in the article - - - - - care to debunk it?  Here is something else from the article if you care to stay on topic and comment about it:

 

"The biggest spender was a key Middle East ally, Saudi Arabia. A public relations firm spent $270,000 on behalf of the Saudi government at the Trump International Hotel in D.C. on an undisclosed date, the report said, citing public documents and a USA Today article.

Weissman said he believed that the Saudi effort to curry favor with the Trump administration "stands out above all."

Said Weissman, "The Saudis … have been undertaking a full-fledged effort to seduce Trump and those close to him. In that light, the event at the Trump property looks even worse, and more corrupting."

Representatives of the government of Malaysia, the American Turkish Council and the Kuwait Embassy also spent money at Trump properties. Trump critics say that the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution prohibits the president from earning money from foreign governments."

 

There is so very much more in this article but then if one doesn't actually read the article it is impossible to post viable comments about anything contained in it, thus off topic remarks, deflections and distractions. If this thread gets closed because of off topic remarks I will simply post another negative topic about trump, he provides plenty of negative stuff to post about.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:



 

 Public Citizen


Public Citizen is a non-profit, liberal / progressive consumer rights advocacy group and think tank based in Washington, D.C., United States,

https://www.google.com/search?q=Public+Citizen&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

 

Your post is nothing more than an attempt to alibi by using a politically biased source.

 

Again your post shows that you cannot come up with any sort of original comments in attempting to direct others about posting.

0 Kudos
171 Views
21
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:



 

 Public Citizen


Public Citizen is a non-profit, liberal / progressive consumer rights advocacy group and think tank based in Washington, D.C., United States,

https://www.google.com/search?q=Public+Citizen&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

 

Your post is nothing more than an attempt to alibi by using a politically biased source.

 

Again your post shows that you cannot come up with any sort of original comments in attempting to direct others about posting.


Not long ago here you accused others of "attacking the source" when they could not debunk what was presented to them. It applies directly to what you are doing now.

 

AND ............... here is the link I provided, note that the article is from NBC News, not "Public Citizen":

 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/watchdog-foreign-regimes-others-spend-big-trump-proper...


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png