Honored Social Butterfly

'Presidency For Sale' - Foreign Regimes, Others Spend Big at Trump Properties to "Curry Favor"

Foreign Regimes, Others Spend Big At Trump Properties To "Curry Favor

By:  Juliea Ainsley and Riel Gardella

WASHINGTON — Four foreign governments, 16 special interest groups and 35 Republican congressional campaign committees spent money at Trump properties in 2017, according to data compiled by the government watchdog group Public Citizen.

A lawyer for President-elect Donald Trump outlined a plan during the presidential transition that was meant to resolve concerns about conflicts of interest between his presidency and his businesses. But in a report called "Presidency for Sale," Public Citizen found that Trump properties in Washington, Florida and elsewhere seem to have benefited from Trump's election as groups with something to gain from U.S. policy have paid to stay or dine there more than 60 times.

"There is no way to escape the conclusion that these events are being held at the Trump properties as a way to curry favor with the president," said Robert Weissman, president of Public Citizen. "It's just extraordinarily unlikely that these groups have an affinity for the Trump brand [that's] so great [that's] unrelated to the fact that the president happens to be named Trump."

Other well-known Republican politicians' campaigns spending money at Trump properties included those of Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee, who has feuded with Trump and House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy and Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, both of California. NBC News previously reported that Rohrabacher has known ties to Russia and that his meeting with Trump's former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn is of interest to special counsel Robert Mueller's investigators.

Other non-political organizations detailed in the report included GEO Group, a for-profit prison company that has benefited from Trump administration policies, and the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

Much More At LINK:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/watchdog-foreign-regimes-others-spend-big-trump-proper...

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

Not  true per our President. He said the Feds were there right away.

The feds might have been here right away, but apparently you are not comprehending the extent of Harvey's damage and the tens of thousands affected.  It took them time to get around.  We didn't even see a representative until after six weeks and by then we were initiating our own recovery efforts.

The Red Cross promised $400 to those affected but denied it to those who suffered complete destruction.  We were even told that we were not in the flood zone, yet my neighbors and I had water in our house. 

As far you, I doubt you were even thousands of miles from any of these disasters.  As far as Puerto Rico, perhaps they should have done as we did and helped ourselves while waiting on Uncle Sugar.  As far as church groups helping out, yes.  We had people from a South Texas Mormon church who came in while we were cleaning up, bringing their own supplies and speeding up the process.  There were all sorts of people lending a hand.

If you are so concerned with Puerto Rico, then why aren't you down there helping out instead of wasting time on discussion group?  These are your own words:  "A better day could be had by visiting a place to get empthy back for others."  I detect hypocrisy in your post.

You prefer someone posting here feeling sorry for themselves? 

Are you saying anyone who does not hop on a plant to San Juan and start digging them out is a hypocrite if they demand that Trump treat the island equally?

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

Are you saying anyone who does not hop on a plant to San Juan and start digging them out is a hypocrite if they demand that Trump treat the island equally?

Not sure what sort of 'plant' would carry a person to San Juan, but it would be interesting to find out.  As far as Puerto Rico, there are localities here in Texas that is still waiting rebuilding...Rockport for instance.  Of course it's more politically correct to bring up Puerto Rico rather than home folks here.

BTW, what have you done, or doing to help those affected by either of last year's hurricanes?  Just siting there at a computer criticizing others? 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

The only ones who continually bring up Hillary are those who feel an undying need to excuse Trump. Whenever Trump does anything stupid or potentially illegal we can be assured that one of Trump’s protectors will respond with “But Hillary...”

On the other hand, even if I'm not exactly a Trump supporter, when an incident like what happened in Hawaii, why is Trump brought up?  Was Trump responsible for the floods from Hurricane Harvey that innuated homes, including mine?  Some would blame him.

I see a double standard among those on the left here.

I have heard no one blame Trump for the incident in Hawaii. He was rightly castigated though for his continuing to play golf rather than doing his job as President.

I have heard no one blame Trump for Hurricane Harvey. Him and his administration were rightly castigated for their incompetent response to Hurricane Maria, however.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Snoopy48 wrote:

I have heard no one blame Trump for the incident in Hawaii. He was rightly castigated though for his continuing to play golf rather than doing his job as President.

I have heard no one blame Trump for Hurricane Harvey. Him and his administration were rightly castigated for their incompetent response to Hurricane Maria, however.

I don't recall that it is the President's job to comment on situations happening in a state.  Were you affected by Maria?  And what does that have to do with anything?  My house was flooded by Harvey and I have had no complaints about the administration's reactions and efforts in the aftermath.  I received immediate assistance from the government.

Perhaps you prefer Obama's response to a local matter which resulted in the 'Beer Summit'.  Oh, I forgot one of his acquaintances was involved there. 

In my opinion there is mostly petty complaints here about most everything to do about the administration.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

TxGrandpa2:  I don't recall that it is the President's job to comment on situations happening in a state.

Yes, it was a false alarm, but it might not have been considering the current tensions with NK. Any other president would have made it their business to reassure the people of Hawaii after such a panic......it's part of their job.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Panjandrom wrote:

Yes, it was a false alarm, but it might not have been considering the current tensions with NK. Any other president would have made it their business to reassure the people of Hawaii after such a panic......it's part of their job.

Are you aware that the President would have been notified that there was an incoming ICBM if it hadn't been a false alarm?  Are you aware of the nation's early warning system that has been around since the Cold War?  Back in the 1950's they consisted mostly of radar locations (I was at one AC&W squadron back then) but they have now been replaced with satellites.  

Whatever one thinks of the President, there is too much 'righteous indignation' going on by some people based mainly on partisanism.  But let someone mention the nominal head of the Democratic Party and they catch it from the 'faithful' of the Amen Corner.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Panjandrom wrote:

Are you aware that the President would have been notified that there was an incoming ICBM if it hadn't been a false alarm?  Are you aware of the nation's early warning system that has been around since the Cold War?  Back in the 1950's they consisted mostly of radar locations (I was at one AC&W squadron back then) but they have now been replaced with satellites.  

Whatever one thinks of the President, there is too much 'righteous indignation' going on by some people based mainly on partisanism.  But let someone mention the nominal head of the Democratic Party and they catch it from the 'faithful' of the Amen Corner.

The Democratic Party is not the subject. The subject is the Presidency which is now occupied by a person with mental problems who is destroying the country. That person was elected with a lot of votes from people wanting to gain from bad policies he would have like giving money to States who supported him, and taking it away from States who did not. The fall storms are an example. He created a group of followers who like he have problems, and like he would like to see a dictatorship in the US. Now all get back to the subject as I will get a lot of feed back from the Presidents followers with the same problems he has.

Honored Social Butterfly

@john258 wrote:

The Democratic Party is not the subject. The subject is the Presidency which is now occupied by a person with mental problems who is destroying the country.

Are you a qualified psychologist able to determine that?  I note that unemployment is the lowest it has been since 1953 and the stock market is up. 

There is no doubt that one reason that Trump was elected was because of the disgust with the Democratic nominee who apparently stoled the nomination.  Of course the 'faithful' gets upset at any mention of 'the party' or 'that candidate' because of that. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

The Democratic Party is not the subject. The subject is the Presidency which is now occupied by a person with mental problems who is destroying the country.

Are you a qualified psychologist able to determine that?  I note that unemployment is the lowest it has been since 1953 and the stock market is up. 

There is no doubt that one reason that Trump was elected was because of the disgust with the Democratic nominee who apparently stoled the nomination.  Of course the 'faithful' gets upset at any mention of 'the party' or 'that candidate' because of that. 

Really sad.

Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

The only ones who continually bring up Hillary are those who feel an undying need to excuse Trump. Whenever Trump does anything stupid or potentially illegal we can be assured that one of Trump’s protectors will respond with “But Hillary...”

On the other hand, even if I'm not exactly a Trump supporter, when an incident like what happened in Hawaii, why is Trump brought up?  Was Trump responsible for the floods from Hurricane Harvey that innuated homes, including mine?  Some would blame him.

I see a double standard among those on the left here.

If you are "not exactly a trump supporter"  then why do you continually defend him?

And I guess you see no "double standards" from the Right ?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

If you are "not exactly a trump supporter"  then why do you continually defend him?

Who are you defending here?   Still upset because I became more independent instead of following the liberal line here?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Who are you defending here?   Still upset because I became more independent instead of following the liberal line here?

"Independent" ??????    You mean like bashing on who you think are liberal instead of, like in the past, bashing on Right Wingers like KidBoy2 and a couple of others?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

"Independent" ??????    You mean like bashing on who you think are liberal instead of, like in the past, bashing on Right Wingers like KidBoy2 and a couple of others?

So you feel I'm picking on you?  Your post comes across as more of the dogmatic group-think..  I'm supposed to be politically correct and not pick on poor little old liberals?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Did the see the post about how he has been declared the most unethical president in modern histor

If you are referring to me, no I didn't see that post, no doubt by someone still crying in their beer and looking at Hillary through rose colored glasses.  I rarely visit this site except to glance at the posts and laugh at some of the nonsense.

Apparently the office of Secretary of State was for sale also during Hillary's tenure, such as make a sizeable donation to the Clinton Foundation for favors.  The jury is still out on some of the shenigans she pulled.

Get over your hate for Hillary as it gave us the worst President this country has ever had. You can not prove one of your statement's about her, and the Clinton Foundation has done more good around the world that anything you or I will ever do. The jury is not out, as there never was a jury except in the small minds of the far right who are destroying this country via Trump. I think you told us a long time ago you did not vote for Trump and if that is true why are you now one of his biggest supporters?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Did the see the post about how he has been declared the most unethical president in modern histor

If you are referring to me, no I didn't see that post, no doubt by someone still crying in their beer and looking at Hillary through rose colored glasses.  I rarely visit this site except to glance at the posts and laugh at some of the nonsense.

Apparently the office of Secretary of State was for sale also during Hillary's tenure, such as make a sizeable donation to the Clinton Foundation for favors.  The jury is still out on some of the shenigans she pulled.

This topic is about Trump, if you would read the article you would realize that. Seems like you are here simply to disrupt.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png