Honored Social Butterfly

Posts rejected why?

My last two replies have been rejected.  Is there a problem with this site? 

Honored Social Butterfly

I got similar responses from posting telling me to wait 360 seconds before I hit enter again.  AARP motto must be: "if it works, then fix it"!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I just now remembered how I used to solve that problem. 

There were two options that were in the top corner - one said "Rich Text" and the other...I can't recall what it said. I would switch to the other option. It would then allow me to post. 

I haven't noticed those two options with the new website design. 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Social Butterfly

@gordyfl wrote:

I just now remembered how I used to solve that problem. 

There were two options that were in the top corner - one said "Rich Text" and the other...I can't recall what it said. I would switch to the other option. It would then allow me to post. 

I haven't noticed those two options with the new website design. 

Rich text generally means or uses HTML formatting. The alternative would be plain text.

I guess you could click on [HTML] and type your message in the pop-up box, but you will not be able to do line/paragraph breaks or post links or images, etc.  AARP uses rich text (tool bar) to allow this which means the HTML <  > tags are automatically added.

I think there is a glitch in the new format.  I received the "wrong HTML" error message and had not C&P'd anything.  I kept hitting Preview (which I normally do anyway), but the message would not go away.  I clicked on [HTML] and noticed, for some inexplicable reason, the text editor had inserted additional font tags after a paragraph break.  I erased them and all was copacetic.  However, that should not be happening.  

Honored Social Butterfly

Did you try clicking on "Preview" first before Posting? That works for me when I get that message.

Honored Social Butterfly

OK will try.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Just hit "Post" again...

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Just had another post rejected because of invalid  HTML.  

Honored Social Butterfly

I just had that problem for the first time on my cell phone. I tried several methods that have worked in the past, but it still wouldn't post my Reply.

I went on my laptop and was able to post it. That was strange.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

KidBoy2 wrote:

Yeah i got that HTML error when i tried to post to a thread today.  Started a new topic (that i deleted) trying to get it posted.  Also, when i hit "post" more then once, it gave me a different error message on that. Never did get it posted as i wanted.

Probably will deal with this type of thing, with the new system, until they get all the kinks worked out. 🤔

TRUMP-PENCE 2020!!! To Save This Country From The Insanity of The Dems!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Watch out for "flooding" the message board.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

Watch out for "flooding" the message board.

That's what keeps happening to me. I get the message that there's an HTML error so I click reply again, and about half the time when I click reply a second time the "flooding" error message appears and nothing will get through so I give up. It shouldn't be this difficult and tricky to reply to a post, but this is AARP.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 

I assume you meant 'what's up with . . . . "

Post flooding has to do with the length of (a or several) post or the length of the post and perhaps an added graphic in a certain amount of time ( a relatively short amt of time).

On some boards this limit is done to keep down spam OR to limit the posters to just so much copy/paste from a source or several sources. On many boards the admin may limit the amt you might be taking from another source as a copy/paste to a few paragraphs or number of words.

Yes, it could even be the number of links posted by one poster - total in a certain time period/ not just in one post.

I am hoping that their parameters can be adjusted to stop this - this is probably the only board it happens on usually.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

I get that all the time.  "Invalid HTML - Make corrections - Try again"

So, I try again (not having made any correction) and it goes through just fine.

New system, I'm having the issue with some of my posts not being picked up, but some do get through.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Social Butterfly

If using C&P, right-click and select 'Paste as plain text' or Ctrl+Shift+V. (Windows)

Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

Ah, now I understand the issue. One cure is to paste and match style.  That usually takes any rogue HTML out.  I have also found that just clicking submit a second time will allow you to post.  I think they take the HTML out when you get that message. 

Regular Social Butterfly

That often happens when I copy and paste directly from other webpages.  My cure is to paste to Notepad to strip HTML and then recopy from notepad.

You are getting sleepy.
Honored Social Butterfly

Hmm fifty or sixty posters get through and one poster has two responses rejected..........I'm not sure I can see the common denominator here.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The same has happened to me a couple of times. It has something to do with the "improvement" I suppose.

Honored Social Butterfly

There seems to be a few problems with this site. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png