- All about the…
- How to find the mean, median and mode by hand.
- Find the mean, median and mode with Technology:
Stuck on how to find the mean, median, & mode in statistics?
- The mean is the average of a data set.
- The mode is the most common number in a data set.
- The median is the middle of the set of numbers.
Of the three, the mean is the only one that requires a formula. I like to think of it in the other dictionary sense of the word (as in, it’s mean as opposed to nice!). That’s because, compared to the other two, it’s not as easy to work with.Hints to remember the difference
Having trouble remembering the difference between the mean, median and mode? Here’s a couple of hints that can help.
- “A la mode” is a French word that means fashionable and it also refers to a popular way of serving ice cream. So “Mode” is the most popular or fashionable member of a set of numbers. The word MOde is also like MOst.
- The “Mean” requires you do arithmetic (adding all the numbers and dividing) so that’s the “mean” one.
- “Median” has the same number of letters as “Middle”.
Still aren’t sure what the difference is between the three? Watch the video or read on for more info: