Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Polls: Economy Not So Great

Message 41 of 54

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I was talking to two administrative aides where I work.  They said this economy is not booming for them or their husbands. They are solidly middle class.  Stock is skyrocketing, but they don’t own stock. Gas prices are up. Food prices are up. Rent is up. Prescription drugs are up.

i find it interesting that food costs are up but our farmers made $11.8 billion less in the first quarter of 2019.  Why is that?

I'm not sure that is a good benchmark to go by.  Food prices are up when gas goes up, and in California gas is up because of their Alt-Left Liberal Governor Nuisance who keeps increasing the taxes on gas and lying to the people about where that money goes.

Also, our farmers have always struggled, even under the prior administration.

https://www.farmaid.org/issues/farm-economy-in-crisis/looming-crisis-american-farms/

The media has one job, and they fail at it every day.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 54

@gordyfl wrote:

Polls Show Possible Economic Weak Spots for Trump

A pair of polls released Monday showed that many Americans don't think they are benefiting from the bustling economy, revealing weak spots for President Trump in public opinion despite strong economic growth.

A Monmouth University Poll found that more than half of Americans don't think they've been substantially helped by the strong macroeconomic trends.

27 percent saying they haven't benefited much.

27 percent saying they haven't benefited at all.

Just 12 percent said the strong economy has helped their family a great deal.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/441202-polls-show-possible-economic-weak-spots-for-trump

You didn't purposely leave out the rest of your poll you trust did you?  

"Respondents who said they've seen benefits were more likely to be wealthy, with 58 percent of those earning over $100,000 saying they've benefited and just 34 percent of those earning under $50,000 saying the same."  $100,000 isn't considered 'wealthy' these days.

Also, this was a phone poll...wonder how they decided who to call...

The other was a WaPo poll.  Trust the WaPo who are getting sued for libel?  Plus they're lying about the 'claims' Pres Trump made...???  Not so trustworthy any more.

“If people in the media cannot decide whether they are in the business of reporting news or manufacturing propaganda, it is all the more important that the public understand that difference, and choose their news sources accordingly.”  Thomas Sowell

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 54

The economy experienced a "dead-cat bounce" for the last couple months as the final impact of the tRump taxscam petered out. No new investments in job creation, only huge bonuses and stock buy-backs by the Corporate Oligarchs.

Meanwhile back on the farm, it's being sold to some Corporation thanks to donny's ignorant trade war with China.

Gasoline would be under a buck a gallon EXCEPT for the TanTrump lil Bonespurs threw that cut off Iranian and Venezuelan oil and moved us closer to more endless wars.

And not a word from Republicans on Social Security and Medicare financial fixes, and Yertle won't even allow those items to be mentioned on the Senate floor - too busy dismanteling banking regulations and cutting the SEC budget so there's nobody to watch Wall Street restart their love affair with the vaporous Derivatives and Mortgage Backed Securities (remember how well that worked for us last time the GOPers did it?).

As for unemployment, it really hasen't budged since President Obama got it back under control after the jrbush economic crash. lil donny's good numbers are a result of more people simply giving up hope of EVER finding a job - so FINALLY the Republican rants about the "labor participation rate" make sense, but with GOPers in the Whitehouse, they are mute on the subject.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 54

Here are the preliminary stats from the Bureau of Economic Analysis on the 1st quarter 2019

https://www.bea.gov/news/blog/2019-04-26/gdp-increases-first-quarter

It appears the savings rate went up substantially but that could have been forecasted since that is the period when everybody is rushing their retirement money into accounts for the previous year for those tax credits.

People around here are spending money, me included - new roofs, a pretty penny, other large purchases or other  home maintenances items. One of my neighbor's just bought one of those do-everything John Deere tractors - nice! Another took a cruise or two.  My daughter just bought a new home, again a pretty penny where she bought ; thank goodness she had a 40% DP.

My County must think that both home and land prices are going up - assessments increased; got the notice last Friday.  

Another lady in my neighborhood bought a real old house with lots of acres, has totally redone the house for a short term rental unit for the movie industry people shooting in the area.

Can we really go by what people say or how they are polled on what they think -the good or bad of the economy has to be measured with what is shown to be real rather than a feeling; people have different situations..  Some could be still digging themselves out from the decline hole too.  All those people who got some reprieve through the Obama refi / modification housing programs (Making Home Affordable) to save their home are now wanting to do something but that amount that was added back to the end is still there.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 54

@easyed598 wrote:

Manic wrote-I was talking to two administrative aides where I work.  They said this economy is not booming for them or their husbands. They are solidly middle class.  Stock is skyrocketing, but they don’t own stock. Gas prices are up. Food prices are up. Rent is up. Prescription drugs are up.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Just imagine if we were still in Obama`s flat economy. FYI -gas prices in my neighborhood dropped 20 cents since last week .Also FYI-One perscription I have ,dropped from $125 for a 90 day supply to $33 for a 90 day supply. (bad me-I bought stock last November and what I bought is up 10% in 5 months). Grocery prices seems low to me -last time I bought groceries I paid 99 cents for a dozen eggs and $1.99 for a gallon of milk. Digital coupons are becoming a big factor with groceries.

A good point. And maybe those administrative aides and/or their husbands may have been unemployed under Obama's "new normal".

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 54

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I was talking to two administrative aides where I work.  They said this economy is not booming for them or their husbands. They are solidly middle class.  Stock is skyrocketing, but they don’t own stock. Gas prices are up. Food prices are up. Rent is up. Prescription drugs are up.

i find it interesting that food costs are up but our farmers made $11.8 billion less in the first quarter of 2019.  Why is that?

The economy is booming for most people. There is one exception: if you live in a blue state (with high income, real-estate, and sales tax) and you previously wrote off in excess of $10,000 (in state taxes) on your federal income taxes, now you must settle on the $10,000 limit.  Every person who doesn't have this situation and actually paid some federal income taxes is doing better with the new tax rates.

A person’s tax situation may make them “feel” like they have more or less money, but it doesn’t affect income. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 54

Do you know what I think? Personal debt.

Car loans, credit card debt, medical bills, dental bills are being paid on a monthly basis, mortgages, student loans -- all this because of easy credit. People are piling on personal debt at a faster rate than the economy is growing. It could turn into a catastrophe.

Plus, most of the economic growth is going to the top.

I see a lot of those commercials "Free Credit Score", and then they show you the nice things you can buy when your score goes up - on credit, of course.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 54

@ManicProgressive wrote:

And farm bankruptcies haven't been this high since the republican Great Recession.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-news-farm-bankruptcies-trade-trump-tariffs-20190216-sto...

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 54

@ManicProgressive wrote:

The economy is booming for most people. There is one exception: if you live in a blue state (with high income, real-estate, and sales tax) and you previously wrote off in excess of $10,000 (in state taxes) on your federal income taxes, now you must settle on the $10,000 limit.  Every person who doesn't have this situation and actually paid some federal income taxes is doing better with the new tax rates.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 54

Manic wrote-I was talking to two administrative aides where I work.  They said this economy is not booming for them or their husbands. They are solidly middle class.  Stock is skyrocketing, but they don’t own stock. Gas prices are up. Food prices are up. Rent is up. Prescription drugs are up.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Just imagine if we were still in Obama`s flat economy. FYI -gas prices in my neighborhood dropped 20 cents since last week .Also FYI-One perscription I have ,dropped from $125 for a 90 day supply to $33 for a 90 day supply. (bad me-I bought stock last November and what I bought is up 10% in 5 months). Grocery prices seems low to me -last time I bought groceries I paid 99 cents for a dozen eggs and $1.99 for a gallon of milk. Digital coupons are becoming a big factor with groceries.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Ask the Expert: What advice do you need to better manage your stress and anxiety?

Clinical Psychologists Barry Jacobs and Julie Mayer will answer your questions on how to cope with the major life change, anxiety, and sadness we are all facing these days. Ask a question now and tune in live on May 27, 3-5 p.m. ET.

Top Authors