Have questions about your Social Security benefits? The AARP Social Security Resource Center can help.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Polls: Economy Not So Great

Message 11 of 18

Do you know what I think? Personal debt.

Car loans, credit card debt, medical bills, dental bills are being paid on a monthly basis, mortgages, student loans -- all this because of easy credit. People are piling on personal debt at a faster rate than the economy is growing. It could turn into a catastrophe.

Plus, most of the economic growth is going to the top.

I see a lot of those commercials "Free Credit Score", and then they show you the nice things you can buy when your score goes up - on credit, of course.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 18

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I was talking to two administrative aides where I work.  They said this economy is not booming for them or their husbands. They are solidly middle class.  Stock is skyrocketing, but they don’t own stock. Gas prices are up. Food prices are up. Rent is up. Prescription drugs are up.

i find it interesting that food costs are up but our farmers made $11.8 billion less in the first quarter of 2019.  Why is that?

And farm bankruptcies haven't been this high since the republican Great Recession.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-news-farm-bankruptcies-trade-trump-tariffs-20190216-sto...

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 18

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I was talking to two administrative aides where I work.  They said this economy is not booming for them or their husbands. They are solidly middle class.  Stock is skyrocketing, but they don’t own stock. Gas prices are up. Food prices are up. Rent is up. Prescription drugs are up.

i find it interesting that food costs are up but our farmers made $11.8 billion less in the first quarter of 2019.  Why is that?

The economy is booming for most people. There is one exception: if you live in a blue state (with high income, real-estate, and sales tax) and you previously wrote off in excess of $10,000 (in state taxes) on your federal income taxes, now you must settle on the $10,000 limit.  Every person who doesn't have this situation and actually paid some federal income taxes is doing better with the new tax rates.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 18

Manic wrote-I was talking to two administrative aides where I work.  They said this economy is not booming for them or their husbands. They are solidly middle class.  Stock is skyrocketing, but they don’t own stock. Gas prices are up. Food prices are up. Rent is up. Prescription drugs are up.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Just imagine if we were still in Obama`s flat economy. FYI -gas prices in my neighborhood dropped 20 cents since last week .Also FYI-One perscription I have ,dropped from $125 for a 90 day supply to $33 for a 90 day supply. (bad me-I bought stock last November and what I bought is up 10% in 5 months). Grocery prices seems low to me -last time I bought groceries I paid 99 cents for a dozen eggs and $1.99 for a gallon of milk. Digital coupons are becoming a big factor with groceries.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 18

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 18

@gordyfl wrote:

Polls Show Possible Economic Weak Spots for Trump

A pair of polls released Monday showed that many Americans don't think they are benefiting from the bustling economy, revealing weak spots for President Trump in public opinion despite strong economic growth.

A Monmouth University Poll found that more than half of Americans don't think they've been substantially helped by the strong macroeconomic trends.

27 percent saying they haven't benefited much.

27 percent saying they haven't benefited at all.

Just 12 percent said the strong economy has helped their family a great deal.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/441202-polls-show-possible-economic-weak-spots-for-trump

Looking at the demographics of the poll (from your source):

DEMOGRAPHICS (weighted)
Self-Reported
25% Republican
44% Independent
31% Democrat

48% Male
52% Female

30% 18-34
33% 35-54
37% 55+

64% White
12% Black
16% Hispanic
  8% Asian/Other

69% No degree
31% 4 year degree

_

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 18
From your link..

The economy grew at a strong 3.4 percent in the first quarter of 2019, and unemployment was stable at 3.8 percent.

==================================================

Me thinks that way to many are watching the cry babies on MSNBC and CNN.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Polls: Economy Not So Great

Message 18 of 18

Polls Show Possible Economic Weak Spots for Trump

A pair of polls released Monday showed that many Americans don't think they are benefiting from the bustling economy, revealing weak spots for President Trump in public opinion despite strong economic growth.

A Monmouth University Poll found that more than half of Americans don't think they've been substantially helped by the strong macroeconomic trends.

27 percent saying they haven't benefited much.

27 percent saying they haven't benefited at all.

Just 12 percent said the strong economy has helped their family a great deal.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/441202-polls-show-possible-economic-weak-spots-for-trump

Kudos
Views
Replies