Honored Social Butterfly

Poll - World Opinion

Pew International took polls in 33 countries.

"Which world leader do you trust to do the right thing?"

poll pew int'l.png

Trump finished 1% ahead of Xi Jinping at 28% (above poll)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trump's Policies -- Approve or Disapprove....

poll pew intl.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Nice poll. They disclose their sampling sizes and methodology, too.  37,000 people were surveyed. Rasmussen which puts theirs behind a paywall.

https://www.pewresearch.org/methods/interactives/international-methodology/all-survey/all-country/20...

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Regarding the Poll- You just have to look at the countries Polled and compare their economy to ours. We are riding high and most of them are in a recession or close to it. A little jealousy taking place. But really ,who really cares?

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

This particular Pew poll has been taken for a number of years. I can't find exactly when the first poll was taken but information for the poll indicates that it's been at least as far back as 2007, and likely longer. Point being that this is not a "let's kick the US (or Trump)" poll.

Now, I don't think that comparing economies is pertinent. I had thought of a similar complaint regarding the comparison of President Obama versus Trump in my own post above (message #2 above), asking if the "state of the world" made a difference, as the world economies and affairs were very different in these cases. But as I later posted (post #8) these characteristics are irrelevant. The poll is a measure of the polled's confidence in the leader to "do the right thing". One's opinion of a leader to do what is right/necessary/just/fair in any situation is going to be based on your perception of that person, not of the outward climate.

Thus I disagree that this results from "jealousy". But maybe your point of who cares, is it really relevant, may be fairly taken.

@easyed598 wrote:

Regarding the Poll- You just have to look at the countries Polled and compare their economy to ours. We are riding high and most of them are in a recession or close to it. A little jealousy taking place. But really ,who really cares?

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

I saw this the other day, the Pew poll has been discussed in a number of news sources (take your pick)

This snippet compares trust in Trump and Obama at same points in presidencies (perhaps not a truly comparable situation due to different world conditions...or not). This is from NBC (https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/putin-trudeau-merkel-top-trump-trust-internationally...)

Capture.PNG

But remember that this was a poll around the globe, not just US leftist Democrats. And is just the opinion of a bunch of people.

Silver Conversationalist

Actually, I don't think it matters what the "state" of world conditions would be, comparable or not. This is a test of the views on confidence instilled by Obama or Trump "to do the right thing" no matter what some new situation comes up. 

@fffred wrote:

I saw this the other day, the Pew poll has been discussed in a number of news sources (take your pick)

This snippet compares trust in Trump and Obama at same points in presidencies (perhaps not a truly comparable situation due to different world conditions...or not).

This is from NBC (https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/putin-trudeau-merkel-top-trump-trust-internationally...)

Capture.PNG

But remember that this was a poll around the globe, not just US leftist Democrats. And is just the opinion of a bunch of people.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Our President (US) scores The Highest of all, greater than the other listed leaders, on the score of "No Confidence" to do the "right thing" (whatever that may be). Even greater than is Putin's score.

[Edit to add, this graph is from the Pew poll https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2020/01/08/trump-ratings-remain-low-around-globe-while-views-of-u...]

Capture2.PNG

Must have been a heck of a poll, very difficult. And I suppose that's why only the top 5 leaders were listed.

On the whole, my own opinions follow mostly in line with the poll results. Although I might have been slightly different with Xi.

Silver Conversationalist

Okay, just my quick view here, but I see Merkel and Macron as the big adults in the room.

Xi as a self-interested adult but who refrains from most mischief (but could be very dangerous to the US in a very short time of 1-2 generations or less).

I see Putin as the smart but devious little "punk" on the schoolyard (I did want to use another 4 letter descriptive). A crafty little punk. Out for his own interests and more than willing to cause all sorts of havoc even just for kicks.

Trump, I see as with some street smarts but no higher level thinking ability. It's all the lower part of the brain, the cave man brain, some call it "the lizard brain". Mostly raw emotion. I see him as the most dangerous. Due to unpredictability and he'll change whims on a moment.

(https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/where-addiction-meets-your-brain/201404/your-lizard-brain).

Silver Conversationalist

Oddly, with my Google search I'm not finding that Fox News did any reporting on this new poll. Maybe I've just missed it so far.

Honored Social Butterfly

dead last. Fitting. I am surprised he got the percentage listed.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Tom5678 wrote:
dead last. Fitting. I am surprised he got the percentage listed.

Many tRump supporters hated government and like the idea of the entire world (including our allies) hating and distrusting America, except for Putin and Russia.  For some reason they seem to relish in Putin and Russia liking and trusting us.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png