Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Poll: Most Americans now support GOP tax law

Message 61 of 93

Since I'm not, and never have been a Democrat, I have no clue how much they will or will not appreciate their tax savings. It appears as if my estimate of savings on the average American was low, but it also appears as if Not Happening’s estimate is a little high. 

Nonetheless, it doesn't change my argument, one cannot view the GOP Tax Bill with a narrow lens. One must assess its impact on the economy. If the rising deficit contributes to higher interest rates, as most economists predict, people will pay a higher interest rate on their auto loans, mortgages, tuition loans, credit card loans, etc. 

Therefore, if one saves a $1,000 in taxes, but their car loan, mortgage, tuition loan, or credit card loan costs them another $700 - $800 annually (or more), they won't see much of a difference.

Rising interest rates make the chance of a major stock market correction very high. People will lose a lot more in the market than they saved on their taxes.

But even worse than that, is the fact that our nation's debt will increase by a whopping $1.5 - $2 Trillion Dollars. That is very bad for all Americans.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Poll: Most Americans now support GOP tax law

Message 62 of 93

@Roxanna35wrote:

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

First of all $1000 will be the average savings Americans will see which is NOT $3 or $4 every two weeks. Instead it's roughly $40 every two weeks which most thinking Democrats will appreciate (much more than the Obama/Hillary cult).

Like I have said before and apparently is difficult for you to understand,  I will wait and see on how any of this will eventually affect me. and until then. I will hold off any kind of judgement.  regarding this new tax law.

My reply was to Critical, not you but you will see yourself more wealthy keeping some of your own hard earned money instead of the wasteful government. Now you can continue to hold off but eventually you will see the light.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 93

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

First of all $1000 will be the average savings Americans will see which is NOT $3 or $4 every two weeks. Instead it's roughly $40 every two weeks which most thinking Democrats will appreciate (much more than the Obama/Hillary cult).

Like I have said before and apparently is difficult for you to understand,  I will wait and see on how any of this will eventually affect me. and until then. I will hold off any kind of judgement.  regarding this new tax law.

no name
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 93

@CriticalThinkingwrote:

Not Happening said, "It is but Trump contends that the long term return of money to the U.S. and taxes paid on the income increase/bonuses will have a long term benefit. Do you think most people will notice the deficit or their pay stub most?"

One should always expect a Trump Lover to look at things in a very simple manner as opposed to doing a more thorough analysis. That's true here. For the rest of us, let's examine the financial dynamics and we'll start with the stock market. 

Why is the market floundering? Because smart people understand what's happening. They see the nation's debt ballooning under Trump, which means we (the government) will borrow a lot more money. That results not only in a larger debt ratio for the federal budget, it also results in higher credit card rates, higher mortgage debt, and probably higher gasoline taxes, etc. 

Do you think the $3 or $4 extra people see in their paychecks every two weeks will be more important than much higher loan rates on credit cards and mortgages? I don't think so.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 93

Phyliss wrote-Oh, but the crooked Repubs. didn’t forget the rich and big businesses-nope they got perks that will never expire!

Yup, that’s the crooked Republican party—take from the poor and middle class and give it to the richest amongst us.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------How are the Republicans taking from the poor and giving to the rich? Most of the poor pay no taxes and most in middle class are getting a $2,000 increase per year.(crumbs to multi millionaire Nancy Pelosi) Perhaps if you refrain from posting at 3:00 AM  you would think more clearly.---Gee it is great having a real President again!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 93

Crtitical wrote-Ed, would you please occasionally try to get the facts? Thank You--------------------------------------------------------------------------------this morning, Arthur O. Sulzberger Jr. and Dean Baquet, the publisher and editor, respectively, of The New York Times, took it one step further in a letter emailed to subscribers. “Did Donald Trump’s sheer unconventionality lead us and other news outlets to underestimate his support among American voters?” they asked. Some subscribers may read that as just more excuse-making and not the plea for forgivenness they might have expected. But the letter also reflected the Times’ fear of losing all-important subscribers to its print and digital editions at a time of plummeting advertising revenue and challenges from online news venues. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Critical -Some people can`t face the facts but prefer FAKE news.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 93

Yup, the general public loves the new tax bill right now. Few extra bucks has them won over. 

Republicans are greedy as heck, but they aren’t stupid. This year there is a mid-term election, so they make the little people happy, and then slowly over the next four years, take all the perks away, sticking  it to ‘em in other ways until they are all paying more.

Oh, but the crooked Repubs. didn’t forget the rich and big businesses-nope they got perks that will never expire!

Yup, that’s the crooked Republican party—take from the poor and middle class and give it to the richest amongst us. 

This is a great example as to why all Americans must stay informed and make sure the resources they consume are credible. Then all will know when they have gotten screwed over—royally.

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 93

@GailL1wrote:

@Roxanna35wrote 

I will not  sing along until like I have said, will see how any of this will affect me.

I thought you talked it over with your accountant.  I know I will come out better and it is coming at a very good time since I have to start my RMD sometime this year so as to not have to take (2) next year.  It is the IRMMA that I am have to work on now.  

Tell me how anyone comes out better when this adds to the deficit. That alone tells you that you or another generation will pay more. It looks like some people are very easy to fool, Trump has been doing that all his life.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 93

@Roxanna35wrote 

I will not  sing along until like I have said, will see how any of this will affect me.

I thought you talked it over with your accountant.  I know I will come out better and it is coming at a very good time since I have to start my RMD sometime this year so as to not have to take (2) next year.  It is the IRMMA that I am have to work on now.  

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Poll: Most Americans now support GOP tax law

Message 70 of 93

Easy Ed, who believes every lie coming out of Trump's mouth and whatever Fox tells him, said the following. "the NYT would report that without putting a liberal spin on it and print the truth  . Perhaps because they are losing so many subscribers"

I'm LOL because the NY Times has been doing great since Trump was elected. Easy Ed won't understand this, but millions of Americans want real news vetted by rigorous standards. They don't want propaganda, which is what Ed listens to on Fox. Trump is telling Ed the Times is dying, but the facts are just the opposite. 

Ed, would you please occasionally try to get the facts? Thank You

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.