Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Poll: Most Americans now support GOP tax law

Message 11 of 93

@ChasKy53wrote:

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

Even the Hillary/Obama cult will be getting their taxes cut. Anyone on the left not want their "crumbs"?

I am one of the 85 million middle income Americans you forgot to mention whose taxes increase under this plan.

And no, I am not interested in getting "crumbs'  from a tax plan that is bad for America, overall.

You might be one of the handful of people not getting a tax cut but you are in the SMALL minority. Somewhere between 80-90% of Americans WILL get their taxes cut. Using the smaller percentage, roughly 6.6 million WON'T get tax cuts out of 330 million people (not the 85 million you said).

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 93

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

Even the Hillary/Obama cult will be getting their taxes cut. Anyone on the left not want their "crumbs"?

I am one of the 85 million middle income Americans you forgot to mention whose taxes increase under this plan.

And no, I am not interested in getting "crumbs'  from a tax plan that is bad for America, overall.

Democrats in 2020
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 93

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@CriticalThinkingwrote:

Not Happening made me LOL, because in true Trump lover fashion, he distorted the numbers. No he didn't lie, but with the average increase number of $1,610, most of that increase goes to the ultra rich. A much more realistic assessment of the GOP Tax plan follows from the same NPR article.

Extremes make averages, and the benefits would be much larger for richer households. A household earning $1 million or more would get an average cut of $69,660, an income bump of 3.3 percent. Compare that with the a tax cut of $870, or 1.6 percent, for the average household earning $50,000 to $75,000.

Keep LOLing while 90% of the people enjoy their (crumbs) lower taxes. The left still doesn't get it.

No ....... YOU "don't get it". You seem to think it's fair for those earning a $million$ or more to get a 3.3% tax cut and for those earning $50 to $75 thousand to get a 1.6% cut. Also, you seem to think it is fair for the tax cuts for all but the wealthiest and corporations to be temporary, yet the corporate tax cuts and the inheritance cuts which help only the wealthiest to be permanent.  What a warped concept of fairness !

Democrats in 2020
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 93

@CriticalThinkingwrote:

Ed focused solely upon seniors, I'm focusing on America. I personally will benefit by the new GOP tax bill, but I'm not happy with it because I think it's bad for America.

That doesn't mean aspects of the tax bill aren't good, because there are some good components in the law. For example, the corporate tax rate badly needed to be reduced. I think they lowered it far too much, but it was still a good idea.

I think it's good for America IF the government LEARNS to spend less and not approve bridges that go nowhere, or the study of the pocket gopher, and other projects that everyone knows it is a big waste of money. Right now, 20% of the top earners are paying 95% of all income taxes. Shouldn't everyone have a little pain? Right now we have a system with some paying zero and others paying the lions share. We also have some questioning why with a tax cut does the wealthy person get more $ back as a result of the tax cut? 

What is fair? Depends on who you ask.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Poll: Most Americans now support GOP tax law

Message 15 of 93

Ed focused solely upon seniors, I'm focusing on America. I personally will benefit by the new GOP tax bill, but I'm not happy with it because I think it's bad for America.

That doesn't mean aspects of the tax bill aren't good, because there are some good components in the law. For example, the corporate tax rate badly needed to be reduced. I think they lowered it far too much, but it was still a good idea.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 93

@CriticalThinkingwrote:

CT and Easy Ed wrote, CT: "The Federal Reserve is getting ready to raise its target interest rate after allowing it to sit at historically low levels for years. And that could be an expensive proposition for Washington and for you, the taxpayer."

EasyEd wrote, "For those of us who remember getting 7% on a CD this is good news .(Especially for Seniors)"

That's the typical Trump Lover simple and short sighted view of the issue. If the Federal Government is borrowing between $1.5 and $2 Trillion dollars to finance the new GOP tax bill, everybody's loan rates will rise. So yes, your CD will provide more interest, but your mortage rate, car loan, tuition loan, and other loans, will cost you a lot more money. In the end, it will negate the higher interest rates in savings accounts and CDs. 

And if higher interest rates lead to a huge drop in the stock market, it will be even worse.

I would hope most seniors DON'T have all the loans you specified and if they have a mortgage (fixed rate), that won't change. I still remember when Carter was President having a multi year CD paying a whopping 21%. I don't really think we'll ever see that again.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Poll: Most Americans now support GOP tax law

Message 17 of 93

CT and Easy Ed wrote, CT: "The Federal Reserve is getting ready to raise its target interest rate after allowing it to sit at historically low levels for years. And that could be an expensive proposition for Washington and for you, the taxpayer."

EasyEd wrote, "For those of us who remember getting 7% on a CD this is good news .(Especially for Seniors)"

That's the typical Trump Lover simple and short sighted view of the issue. If the Federal Government is borrowing between $1.5 and $2 Trillion dollars to finance the new GOP tax bill, everybody's loan rates will rise. So yes, your CD will provide more interest, but your mortage rate, car loan, tuition loan, and other loans, will cost you a lot more money. In the end, it will negate the higher interest rates in savings accounts and CDs. 

And if higher interest rates lead to a huge drop in the stock market, it will be even worse.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 93

@CriticalThinkingwrote:

Isn't that the same bill which will add between $1.5 and $2 Trillion to the nation's debt?

YES! And we need to understand what that means.

The NRAGOP have INCREASED Government spending by jacking up military purchases of weapons they don't want or need. therefore they will also increase Government BORROWING.

The money collected from taxes and borrowing winds up in people's pay envelopes, but where preReagan that meant workers pay checks, a much higher percent now goes to BOSSES paychecks who no longer share with the workers because they can keep what they take for themselves.

More importantly, Der Trumper has given Corporate Oligarchs TRILLIONS of dollars they can also keep for themselves or use to buy back company stock, increasing the value of their personal options and actual stock, but not adding a single job or penny to the demand that drives economic growth.

It is this artificial scarcity (the stock bought back is no longer available to the public) that is driving the stock market gains, NOT greater production. Since there is no added value to support the stock price increases, they will not last.

As other interest rates increase because of the great (double) increase in Gov't borrowing making the very meager ROI for stocks increasingly unattractive to investors who will begin dumping stock in favor of bonds with the higher intrest and lower prices.

Also while Dodd Frank has halted the "subprime" market abuse in mortgages, Big Banks are doing it for car loans (which look like home loans from the 60's), creating a lot of people with car loans they really cannot afford and setting the stage for another financial crisis as those loans default.

And since NRAGOP blocked all Democratic attempts to regulate derivatives, which currently claim to be worth 20 times as much as all the goods and services produced by all 7 billion people on Earth, another meltdown is pending in that area.

So guard your $930 well, Der Trumper and the NRAGOP have primed the economy for ANOTHER jrbush crash that cost over 8 million Americans their homes and 12 million their jobs. this time, they'll take your cars as well.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 93

@Olderscout66wrote:

Here's how the Taxscam diddles you:

If you're Der Trumper, you get $11,000,000.

If you're in the top 5%, you get 3.1% an avg of $13,480

Top 20%, it's 2.2%, avg $7,640

Middle 20% (income $49,000-$86,000) 1.4% avg $930

Bottom 20% (up to $15,000) 0.4% or $60

If you're not in the top 20%, you're shafted because your other costs, like what the PUBLIC school is going to bill you for your kids, will go up much more than you'll get from the NRAGOP, same as happened to you with the jrbush and Reaganscams.

With the top 20% income earners paying 95% of all income taxes, are you surprised that a tax cut would return the most to them? If you are surprised, I really don't know why.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/omb-top-20-pay-95-of-taxes-middle-class-single-digits/article/2638...

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 93

Here's how the Taxscam diddles you:

If you're Der Trumper, you get $11,000,000.

If you're in the top 5%, you get 3.1% an avg of $13,480

Top 20%, it's 2.2%, avg $7,640

Middle 20% (income $49,000-$86,000) 1.4% avg $930

Bottom 20% (up to $15,000) 0.4% or $60

If you're not in the top 20%, you're shafted because your other costs, like what the PUBLIC school is going to bill you for your kids, will go up much more than you'll get from the NRAGOP, same as happened to you with the jrbush and Reaganscams.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors