Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Poll: Most Americans now support GOP tax law

Message 1 of 93

@Roxanna35wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

HOW DO YOU SEE THE DOW AND INTEREST RATES RELATED TO TAX CUTS??

Oh dear,  I guess that you need more explaining. suppose that I get a bigger check because of the tax cut. 

but.
My credit card now is requesting a bigger payment because the interest has gone up.

Free financial advice follows: cut up your credit card if you make monthly payments. Only buy what you can fully pay off.
My mortgage payment now that the interest rate is up. my  mortgage payment is higher.

Should have gotten a fixed rate mortgage.
Suppose that I want to buy a house. now that the interest rate is higher I have to put more money down 
And today the Dow continued to fall. 

Dow will fall now and then. Invest ONLY for long term and you will be a winner.
Guess what. the 401K's  are not going to cover the retirement costs. and all kinds of things will be happening. 

Should have put more into 401K
So  now do you get it?

No.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Poll: Most Americans now support GOP tax law

Message 2 of 93

Members of the Trump Cult are unbelievable because, among other things, they have no clue about economics. When the government borrows a lot more money, as in $1.5 - $2 Trillion to pay for the Trump Tax plan, interest rates go up significantly. This is horrible for our economic future, but for now, let's concentrate on the immediate consequences.

When the government borrows more, interest rates rise, Americans pay more for mortgages, auto loans, student loans, credit card debt, etc. When you're only making a few hundred dollars extra from the tax plan, the aforementioned higher costs of borrowing money, negates whatever increase they receive in taxes.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 93

@Roxanna35wrote:

Oh dear,  I guess that you need more explaining. suppose that I get a bigger check because of the tax cut. but.
My credit card now is requesting a bigger payment because the interest has gone up.
My mortgage payment now that the interest rate is up. my  mortgage payment is higher.
Suppose that I want to buy a house. now that the interest rate is higher I have to put more money down 
Guess what. the 401K's  are not going to cover the retirement costs. and all kinds of things will be happening. 
So  now do you get it?

Once again - 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 93

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@Roxanna35wrote:

As I have stated many times in this thread, I was waiting to see how this tax cut was going to affect me. and now, I am actually seeing how.

We all know that the Dow has dropped over 500 points in the last couple of days. and is only because now they know that the interest rates are going to be increased. 
So how is that going to affect Americans.?  Credit cards interest rates will go up, and payments will go up. Mortgage payments will go up due to interest rates going up.

Buying a house will not be as cheap as before interest rates will make it more difficult to buy a house.
OOPS !! THERE WENT THE TAX CUT FOR A LOT OP PEOPLE.

Interest rates have been artificially low for many years and now they are rising. For those that have 401K or IRAs, don't worry the drop will stop and rise again. The stock market reacts quickly to news (bad or good). Long term, the stock market has been the best place to keep money. Look at the interest rates when Jimmy Carter was President if you want to see what high really is! The tax cut will be good for the country long term.

Will the tax increase Trump announced today be good for us. How much of the small amount in take  home pay the middle class got be eaten up  but This is how Trump plans to take it all back from the middle class on down. The tariff are the new tax. The govt. collects the tax from the business as a tariff, and the business increases the price we pay so it is a hidden tax.  No it will not save jobs. It will cost jobs. Last time it was tried US lost over 200,000 jobs due to it.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 93

@rk9152wrote:

Oh dear,  I guess that you need more explaining. suppose that I get a bigger check because of the tax cut. 

but.
So  now do you get it?

no name
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 93

Most Americans support it because they’re seeing the perks, but not too many realize what will happen over the next five years  at which time the perks will be gone for the middle class, leaving only big businesses and the rich to reap the rewards given to them by the Republicans. 

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 93

@Roxanna35wrote:

As I have stated many times in this thread, I was waiting to see how this tax cut was going to affect me. and now, I am actually seeing how.

We all know that the Dow has dropped over 500 points in the last couple of days. and is only because now they know that the interest rates are going to be increased. 
So how is that going to affect Americans.?  Credit cards interest rates will go up, and payments will go up. Mortgage payments will go up due to interest rates going up.

Buying a house will not be as cheap as before interest rates will make it more difficult to buy a house.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 93

@Roxanna35wrote:

Interest rates have been artificially low for many years and now they are rising. For those that have 401K or IRAs, don't worry the drop will stop and rise again. The stock market reacts quickly to news (bad or good). Long term, the stock market has been the best place to keep money. Look at the interest rates when Jimmy Carter was President if you want to see what high really is! The tax cut will be good for the country long term.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 93

no name
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 93

@ChasKy53wrote:

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@CriticalThinkingwrote:

Not Happening made me LOL, because in true Trump lover fashion, he distorted the numbers. No he didn't lie, but with the average increase number of $1,610, most of that increase goes to the ultra rich. A much more realistic assessment of the GOP Tax plan follows from the same NPR article.

Extremes make averages, and the benefits would be much larger for richer households. A household earning $1 million or more would get an average cut of $69,660, an income bump of 3.3 percent. Compare that with the a tax cut of $870, or 1.6 percent, for the average household earning $50,000 to $75,000.

Keep LOLing while 90% of the people enjoy their (crumbs) lower taxes. The left still doesn't get it.

No ....... YOU "don't get it". You seem to think it's fair for those earning a $million$ or more to get a 3.3% tax cut and for those earning $50 to $75 thousand to get a 1.6% cut. Also, you seem to think it is fair for the tax cuts for all but the wealthiest and corporations to be temporary, yet the corporate tax cuts and the inheritance cuts which help only the wealthiest to be permanent.  What a warped concept of fairness !

No, you don't get it. Those paying the most now SHOULD get the most back. 20% of the top earners are paying 95% of ALL income taxes. You still want their money?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors