Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 1 of 3

Thanks for your reply.  I thought the same thing, that the state should have their own laws.  I live in New York.  Once I receive your information, I can determine if they are allowed to access private citizens information.

Thanks again!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 3

Having worked for local government, I know that many employees just state "FOIA" because that's what they know.  But your state needs to have a similar law for individuals to request information from state government.  In Maryland, for example, it's the Maryland Public Information Act.   MPIA.  But it's usually only lawyers and very nitpicky people who refer to the appropriate acronym. 

If you let me know your state, I can find the state statute for you.  If not, you can google your state and "information statute."  That should bring it up.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views
Replies

Political parties are buying my private contact information through the FOIL Act

Message 3 of 3

In my opinion, my party affiliation and who I vote for is a private matter.  I don't mind being contacted by mail by either party in promoting a candidate.  I do object to any political party contacting me on my phone using voice mail or text messages.  I was contacted by four different candidates running for State Senate.  When I asked where they got my phone number from, they all replied from the Local Board of Elections.  They claim they are allowed access to our information through the Freedom of Information act or FOIL.

According to my Local Board of Elections, they are allowed to provide my party affiliation and address, but don't provide phone numbers.  According to them, the phone number was provided by a private company. When I asked all the various campaign's the name of the company, they kept citing their right to contact me because of the FOIL act. That's not the information I want.  My name and party affiliation should not be for sale.  

Since they cited the FOIL act, I looked it up on the governments website.  The FOIL Act states as follows: The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) has provided the public the right to request access to records from any federal agency. It is often described as the law that keeps citizens in the know about their government. Federal agencies are required to disclose any information requested under the FOIA unless it falls under one of nine exemptions which protect interests such as personal privacy, national security, and law enforcement.

The key words here are, "the rights to request access to records from any federal agency."  I don't consider my local government as a "federal agency".  Nor, do I think they have a right to request any information on private citizens.  It clearly states, that the information provided by the federal government "keeps the citizens in the know", not the other way round.  

To me, this is an invasion of privacy and the use of my personal information is being abused.  I plan on writing letters to my Senators and members and Congress to get a reply regarding my rights.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit

Top Authors