Reply
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
241
Views

241 Views
Message 1 of 36

One third of all shooting deaths not committed by a person the victims know is by a police officer. 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
241
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
247
Views

247 Views
Message 2 of 36
https://www.facebook.com/policethepoliceACP/videos/2058586784158307/

old video. I think they could have at least tazed him. if he war reaching for a "hidden gun" ..i mean he wasnt aiming it. takes a few shots to stop the beast tho.
So it begins.
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
247
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
2231
Views

2,231 Views
Message 3 of 36

Wichita police owe public a fuller explanation in shooting of unarmed man

 

Andrew Finch shouldn’t have died five days ago. That’s one of the few things clear after a swatting incident that led to a Wichita police officer killing an unarmed Finch on the porch of his west Wichita home.

 

Depending on your view, and if what we heard about the swatting call proves true, as many as four people could be blamed for Finch’s death: The online gamer who gave an incorrect address (Finch’s) for another gamer to another man and asked him to swat it by calling Wichita police. The second man, arrested by Los Angeles police and identified as Tyler Barriss, who made the fake killing and hostage situation call. The Wichita officer who fired once, killing an unarmed Finch. And, police reason, Finch himself for lowering his hands to his waist despite instructions from officers to keep them raised.

 

There are multiple pieces to this tragic shooting, many so hard to believe they could be combined into a perfect storm that led to Finch’s death.

 

But while it is certain that police were led to Finch’s house on West McCormick because of a fake distress call – those involved with the fake call should be criminally accountable – the fact remains that Wichita police killed an unarmed man. The Kansas Bureau of Investigation should thoroughly investigate whether the shooting was reasonable under Kansas law.

 

In news briefings on the shooting, Wichita deputy chief Troy Livingston has stressed that officers were sent to a house thinking that a man was inside who had already killed a family member and was holding other family members hostage. With police surrounding the house, a man opened the front door.

 

Livingston said the man (Finch) initially complied with an order to keep his hands raised, but later lowered his hands to his waist before raising them again. Finch turned toward officers to his right, lowered his hands to his waistband before raising them again. That’s when an officer fired, Livingston said, thinking the man had grabbed a weapon from his waistband and was a threat to other officers.

 

The police briefings have left two questions that could help shed light on what’s become a case with national awareness.

 

First, why was only one shot fired from one officer? Livingston has not said how many officers were in or around Finch’s front yard at the time of the shooting, but if Finch lowered his hands to his waist before raising them again, why did only one officer shoot Finch? Did others closer to Finch instruct the officer to shoot?

 

Officers had to assume that he was the suspect who had told a 911 operator he had killed his father and had still had a weapon. Was the officer designated to shoot the suspect if needed, or was it obvious to other officers that Finch did not have a weapon? Police have not explained.

 

Second, why was video footage from one body camera released to the public last week but not others?

 

The few seconds of footage, Livingston said, was from an officer’s camera across the street from Finch’s home, near the officer who fired the shot. The footage doesn’t provide a clear view of what Finch did with his arms. Footage from officers closer to Finch would provide a better view. But those weren’t released.

 

“I want to point out that we believe there’s a compelling reason to release some of this video and some of the audio because it’s in the public’s best interest,” Livingston said in a statement Friday.

 

“The Wichita Police Department wants to maintain and continue to build trust within our community, however we cannot release all the information simply because we have an ongoing criminal investigation into the person or persons responsible for making this false police call.” (BULL CRAP)

 

Actually, the public’s best interest would be to see all angles of video. And other video can’t be released because of an ongoing investigation into the people making the call? People who weren’t at the home or part of the shooting? Wichita police again are hiding behind loose exceptions in the Kansas Open Records Act. They shouldn’t wait to release more video to the public so it can see for itself – the public’s best interest.

 

The entire incident has shaken the community. It’s stunning to think something as inconsequential as an online video game can lead to an argument and a fake 911 call, sending police to the home of an innocent and unsuspecting family.

 

But as investigations continue, it’s important to remember it was an unarmed man who was shot and killed last week. KBI agents need to present the public and a shaken family with a clear picture of what happened on West McCormick last Thursday.

 

Wichita police owe public a fuller explanation in shooting of unarmed man

 

Killing an innocent, unarmed man is not a very productive way to build trust in ANY community, even in Wichita Kansas. The protection of the thin blue line begins.....


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
2231
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
2240
Views

2,240 Views
Message 4 of 36

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

 

And how do you see any of that applying to the "Fascist Five"?  They support many, if not all of the listed characteristics.  Thanks for asking.....You are very welcome. But just to clarify - you are ranting about SCOTUS??  Nope, not at all.  More lies I see.....O.K. then who are your "Fascist Five". More baiting with the "lies game" is see. I'm not biting.

 

By the way, was your source Jeff Rense or daily kos? None of the above.....what a foolish question. Then who, what a foolish answer, Provided previously and which you whined about then as well.  No it wasnt - that is "intellectual dishonesty". For a person who will not accept the Washington Times or Fox News, you sure do go out on the fringe for your sources.  Three lies in a single sentence, "rk".  That could be a record, even for the forum's "TROLL"  I have posted topics using sources from both the Times and Fox News, so your point is, as usual, quite foolish. "Lies" and "TROLL" - nice job. Thanks, they're easy to spot. Yes, the bait is easy to toss out if you have no interest in disucssion.


 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
2240
Views
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
0
Kudos
2269
Views

2,269 Views
Message 5 of 36

Hi all,

This thread is starting to get off-topic. While you may have different opinions, please remember to be respectful of one another as our guidelines state: This is a diverse community of people with diverse opinions. It is up to each of us to be polite and treat each other with respect.

You can read the full guidelines here: http://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

Thanks and happy posting!

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
2269
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
2286
Views

2,286 Views
Message 6 of 36

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

  Three lies in a single sentence, "rk".  That could be a record, even for the forum's "TROLL"  I have posted topics using sources from both the Times and Fox News, so your point is, as usual, quite foolish. "Lies" and "TROLL" - nice job.


 


But then you didn't deny posting  "three lies in a single sentence"  did you?  Nice job.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
2286
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
2289
Views

2,289 Views
Message 7 of 36

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

 

And how do you see any of that applying to the "Fascist Five"?  They support many, if not all of the listed characteristics.  Thanks for asking.....You are very welcome. But just to clarify - you are ranting about SCOTUS??  Nope, not at all.  More lies I see.....

 

By the way, was your source Jeff Rense or daily kos? None of the above.....what a foolish question. Then who, what a foolish answer, Provided previously and which you whined about then as well.  For a person who will not accept the Washington Times or Fox News, you sure do go out on the fringe for your sources.  Three lies in a single sentence, "rk".  That could be a record, even for the forum's "TROLL"  I have posted topics using sources from both the Times and Fox News, so your point is, as usual, quite foolish. "Lies" and "TROLL" - nice job. Thanks, they're easy to spot.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
2289
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
2290
Views

2,290 Views
Message 8 of 36

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:


Most rational people would be outraged over BOTH the 'swatting game' AND the trigger happy officer.


I would prefer to think that most people would be more objective and try to visualize the terrible situation that police officer found himself in rather than simply write him off as "trigger happy".  Do you really think anyone cares what you "prefer to think"?  I'd bet not.  Secondly, it wasn't a terrible situation; it was a situation that he should have been exceedingly well-trained and he wasn't in danger one-iota.  Facts matter; not what you dream up.


 We have different concepts of discussion. Most of your posts aren't "discussion", they're whinny and/or condescending posts about others.  Where I express my opinion while keeping the door open to alternatives with terms like "I prefer to think, (sic) Actually, that doesn'r really keep the door open; in fact, to many, it just closes the door.  you just assume anyone who does not agree with you is a fascist, Nazi, etc.  Nope, more lies.  Many posters here have disagreed with me as posted earlier.  But I do believe it takes a very closed minded person to suggest otherwise. I don't refer to others here as Nazi, but I do recognize that a fascist would make such a baseless claim.  It's clear you group most all posters you disagree with together.  Pathetic and asinine.....

 

As to the situation he was in, I can only imagine what it must have been like for him (something I dreamt up) where you know exactly and know he was wrong because, after all, he was  "fascist" cop.  Another lie posted by "rk".  Seems like he just can't help himself.  I never called the cop fascist.  So why lie again, "rk"?  Do you really need to lie to make your point?

 

Now, about your claim that you can "only imagine".....that too is a lie.  If you actually cared about the facts instead of your biased opinion, you could have actually looked into it the situation.  Had you done so, you would have learned that the 9-1-1 caller said the home was 1 story, yet law enforcement showed up to and shot the man in a two-story home.  Police are familiar with "swatting"....it would have just taken a few moments to verify some of the details.....like checking with a neighbor to hear if they heard gun shots, asking the caller to verify other details like whose car is in the driveway or what color was the house.

 

Had you elected to become informed FIRST, instead of just defending the indefensible and attacking another poster, you would have known the cops shot this guy as he opened the front door as they were hiding behind their squad cars ACROSS THE STREET!!!  And, as you can see from the video, no one was in danger and based on reports that there were over a dozen cops there, clearly this case can and should have been handled much better.

 

Be aware, there's salty language.  If you'd prefer unsalty language, you can hear the 911 call and video at:   http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article192646059.html

 

 

This wonderfully "trained cop" who murdered this man should go to jail....maybe even be cellmates with the 9-1-1 caller.  But alas, we all know that's very unlikely.  He "feared for his life" for sure.  How could the cop know the victim wasn't Billy The Kid incarnate.

 

We can count on the City of Wichita making a multi-million dollar payout to this family....

 

The guy on the tape seems as overcome with hatred as you.


You confuse hatred with frustration that some cops get away with murder and idiots will defend them.  Rather asinine.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
2290
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
2308
Views

2,308 Views
Message 9 of 36
http://www.guns.com/2017/09/20/jury-in-officers-murder-trial-wont-see-profane-inscription-on-his-rif...

Different case, the innocent man killed in **bleep** while complying. I cant do more than post as there is an obscenity inscribed on the killers gun. most people didnt hear this part, as i was deemed too prejudical to be in court.
So it begins.
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
2308
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
2309
Views

2,309 Views
Message 10 of 36

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:


It's always satisfying when the voices of "rational people" out number the fascists in this country. 


As always, anyone who disagree with you on any subject is a "fascist".


As always.....another lie posted by "rk".  Epster isn't a fascist; NerdyMom isn't a fascist; Retiredtraveler isn't a fascist; AP isn't a fascist; rker isn't a fascist; Prosecco isn't a fascist; Chas isn't a fascist; afisher isn't a fascist; Biglib isn't a fascist; nyadrn isn't a fascist; Scout isn't a fascist....and there are many more posting her that I've disagreed with over the years that aren't fascists. So again, you've lied, apparently to only attack another.  What a fraud you are....and again, "It's always satisfying when the voices of "rational people" out number the fascists in this country."

 

IMO, many can see the characteristics of fascism in your posts, as well as the other "Fascist Five" and the trump administration.....

 

The 14 characteristics are:

 

  1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism 
    Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays. 

  2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights 
    Because of fear of enemies and the need for security, the people in fascist regimes are persuaded that human rights can be ignored in certain cases because of "need." The people tend to look the other way or even approve of torture, summary executions, assassinations, long incarcerations of prisoners, etc. 

  3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause 
    The people are rallied into a unifying patriotic frenzy over the need to eliminate a perceived common threat or foe: racial , ethnic or religious minorities; liberals; communists; socialists, terrorists, etc. 

  4. Supremacy of the Military 
    Even when there are widespread domestic problems, the military is given a disproportionate amount of government funding, and the domestic agenda is neglected. Soldiers and military service are glamorized. 

  5. Rampant Sexism 
    The governments of fascist nations tend to be almost exclusively male-dominated. Under fascist regimes, traditional gender roles are made more rigid. Opposition to abortion is high, as is homophobia and anti-gay legislation and national policy. 

  6. Controlled Mass Media 
    Sometimes to media is directly controlled by the government, but in other cases, the media is indirectly controlled by government regulation, or sympathetic media spokespeople and executives. Censorship, especially in war time, is very common. 

  7. Obsession with National Security 
    Fear is used as a motivational tool by the government over the masses. 

  8. Religion and Government are Intertwined 
    Governments in fascist nations tend to use the most common religion in the nation as a tool to manipulate public opinion. Religious rhetoric and terminology is common from government leaders, even when the major tenets of the religion are diametrically opposed to the government's policies or actions. 

  9. Corporate Power is Protected 
    The industrial and business aristocracy of a fascist nation often are the ones who put the government leaders into power, creating a mutually beneficial business/government relationship and power elite. 

  10. Labor Power is Suppressed 
    Because the organizing power of labor is the only real threat to a fascist government, labor unions are either eliminated entirely, or are severely suppressed . 

  11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts 
    Fascist nations tend to promote and tolerate open hostility to higher education, and academia. It is not uncommon for professors and other academics to be censored or even arrested. Free expression in the arts is openly attacked, and governments often refuse to fund the arts. 

  12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment 
    Under fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in fascist nations. 

  13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption 
    Fascist regimes almost always are governed by groups of friends and associates who appoint each other to government positions and use governmental power and authority to protect their friends from accountability. It is not uncommon in fascist regimes for national resources and even treasures to be appropriated or even outright stolen by government leaders. 

  14. Fraudulent Elections 
    Sometimes elections in fascist nations are a complete sham. Other times elections are manipulated by smear campaigns against or even assassination of opposition candidates, use of legislation to control voting numbers or political district boundaries, and manipulation of the media. Fascist nations also typically use their judiciaries to manipulate or control elections.

And how do you see any of that applying to the "Fascist Five"?  They support many, if not all of the listed characteristics.  Thanks for asking.....You are very welcome. But just to clarify - you are ranting about SCOTUS??

 

By the way, was your source Jeff Rense or daily kos? None of the above.....what a foolish question. Then who, what a foolish answer, For a person who will not accept the Washington Times or Fox News, you sure do go out on the fringe for your sources.  Three lies in a single sentence, "rk".  That could be a record, even for the forum's "TROLL"  I have posted topics using sources from both the Times and Fox News, so your point is, as usual, quite foolish. "Lies" and "TROLL" - nice job.


 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
2309
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit

Top Authors