Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 18 is Almost Over & Police Have Killed Over 899 So Far

Message 61 of 264

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

The list inaccurately paints a negative picture of the police.

Not if one actually looks at the data base instead of just a total number. That's why links are provided to look at the information in data base.  I know that must be confusing for conservatives and so-called independents.

Why put up a misleading headline and require digging down into the data and making your own lists to determine the truth?

It is obviously intended to convey a false impression. 

Why is the truth a "misleading headline" to you? That was the total number of people the police had killed when the topic was posted. Now it is 937. Nothing but laziness prevents a person from looking at the data to determine why. Are conservatives that lazy?

My dad killed a man.  Should we think harshly of him, after all, it is a fact.

As to lazy - when one puts up a headline, it usually conveys the message they intend. Others should not be required to delve deep into the stats to get the real meaning. I do not object to "delving". I am commenting on the purpose behind the headline in the first place.

Your dad has nothing to do with this.

No one thinks badly of police as a whole, they perhaps feel badly about the ones that unnecessarily shoot and kill someone.

The purpose behind the data base is to inform people. The "headline" (actually the title of the topic) is the total number that have been killed by the police this year ...... it is that and nothing more. Too bad blind hatred induces Conservatives to try and read something into it that isn't there.

Of course he does. It illustrates that circumstances not just raw numbers are needed to properly convey an honest message.

The headline and topic convey an dishonest message.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

2018 is Almost Over & Police Have Killed Over 937 So Far

Message 62 of 264

The death toll is now over 937.....

We can, and MUST do better......

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 264

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

As to lazy - when one puts up a headline, it usually conveys the message they intend. Others should not be required to delve deep into the stats to get the real meaning. I do not object to "delving". I am commenting on the purpose behind the headline in the first place.

The headline tends to be misleading.  Only to those who can't read past a factual headline...and thinks a factual headline contains all the relevant information one needs to (or wants to) know.....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 264

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

The "headline"(title of the topic) is not misleading to anyone understanding plain English that doesn't try to find hidden and accusatory meanings in it that aren't there. The title means what it says and nothing more.

"Detailing the circumstances" can be found in the data base, that's why it was posted.

Personally, I think it's a shame that such a large number need to be killed in just one year. It's an even bigger shame that some were killed unnecessarily.

It's a shame when even one person is killed because they resort to criminal activity. 

It's even more of a shame when police kill an innocent person, not committing a crime, or exercising a right that a white would walk away from and Conservatives defend the action and just shrug....

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 264

@rk9152 wrote:

Image result for lmao gif

And there it is - the silly picture and the giggle.

Yep, as silly as those who still don't "get" the intent of the Washington Post database.  Of course, we should recognize these are often the same as the sub-group (lol) that think if trump conspired with the Russian, that's no big deal.....and they're always worth a giggle.

“You start to realize that really, the Second Amendment is not intended for black people,” Trevor Noah said on Tuesday. “It’s an uncomfortable thing to say, but it’s the truth.”

Trevor Noah Is Outraged Over Alabama Police’s Killing of Black Army Veteran

Yeah, Trevor....the Right think the Constitution only applies to white America....and it's only gotten worse under the fascist trump and his white hate groups.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 264

@jimc91 wrote:

Yes, it is a dishonest use of numbers.  For some reason this poster seems to have a need to disparage the Police.  So why do you need to disparage the police, Jim?  Just another cop-hater"?  Noted...  And, other "groups" as well.  His focus on "Subsets" of people is very easy to spot and interpret.  Bitterness about something I suppose.  Yep, just as "easy to spot" as those who supported trumps racist "birther" movement...they're so transparent....

Thanks for your informative and intelligent contribution to this topic.

Related image

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 264

@ChasKy53 wrote:

The "headline"(title of the topic) is not misleading to anyone understanding plain English that doesn't try to find hidden and accusatory meanings in it that aren't there. The title means what it says and nothing more.

"Detailing the circumstances" can be found in the data base, that's why it was posted.

Personally, I think it's a shame that such a large number need to be killed in just one year. It's an even bigger shame that some were killed unnecessarily.

It's a shame when even one person is killed because they resort to criminal activity. 

Regarding the circumstances being found in the details is immaterial, the title leaves another impression.  This is much like the Grimms fables about a tailor killing seven flies we heard as kids.   It comes across as a misrepresentation about law enforcement .  Perhaps the question should be asked why these type threads are made each year more creating false impressions of law enforcement. 

There seems to be partisan defense from the usual posters for these threads.  If a conservative posted these threads would the same posters support them?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 264

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

The headline tends to be misleading.  Both the one used here and in the Washington Post.  More media hype sensationalism than actually being truthful by detailing the circumstances.  As is, two impressions can be had; one that police is engaging in senseless killing and second that someone is trying to deprecate law enforcement.

"Detailing the circumstances" can be found in the data base, that's why it was posted

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 264

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

If very, very few are inappropriate and the headline says "over 899" - that is dishonest..

The title says "the police have killed 899".   It does NOT say they have killed 899 'inappropiately".  So no, the topic is not dishonest. It is dishonest to say that it means something that it doesn't.

To make the desired point it would be more honest to address the inappropriate ones. After all, is that not the point - not to celebrate the heroic actions of the police killing people but to object to those who should not have been killed.

Ask the person who posted the topic. Then when they answer you honestly you can argue with them.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 264

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

The list inaccurately paints a negative picture of the police.

Not if one actually looks at the data base instead of just a total number. That's why links are provided to look at the information in data base.  I know that must be confusing for conservatives and so-called independents.

Why put up a misleading headline and require digging down into the data and making your own lists to determine the truth?

It is obviously intended to convey a false impression. 

Why is the truth a "misleading headline" to you? That was the total number of people the police had killed when the topic was posted. Now it is 937. Nothing but laziness prevents a person from looking at the data to determine why. Are conservatives that lazy?

My dad killed a man.  Should we think harshly of him, after all, it is a fact.

Your dad has nothing to do with this.

No one thinks badly of police as a whole, they perhaps feel badly about the ones that unnecessarily shoot and kill someone.

The purpose behind the data base is to inform people. The "headline" (actually the title of the topic) is the total number that have been killed by the police this year ...... it is that and nothing more. Too bad blind hatred induces Conservatives to try and read something into it that isn't there.

Kudos
Views