Contributor

Police Brutality & Guns

Every cop I have ever known personally has been a bully. Who else would want the job? Where you are the law? Where what you say must be complied with? Where your word cannot be questioned?

Where I grew up, you learned that if you gave a cop any grief, they would hurt you. So it was best to avoid any confrontation. I have begun to wonder if some of this male macho bravado would be lessened if we took their guns away. Would cops be so brave and so bold without that gun to give them courage? Maybe they would treat us more like human beings with human rights? Maybe they would just be nicer people?

We should think about what  we want from cops. Maybe there would be fewer killings and less abuse?

Honored Social Butterfly

The Scottish Parliament has called for the immediate suspension of exports of riot gear, tear gas and rubber bullets to the United States, in light of the police response to the ongoing Black Lives Matter protests.

A successful motion, which was backed by 52 votes to 0 with 11 abstentions, says the parliament "stands in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement and considers that the UK government must immediately suspend all export licences for tear gas, rubber bullets and riot gear to the United States".

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Need to shake up the police unions.  They have far too much power over blocking discipline.  Can't weed out the bad ones as easily......

Honored Social Butterfly

Need to shake up the police unions. They have far too much power over blocking discipline. Can't weed out the bad ones as easily......

===============================================
Its hard to get rid of bad cops because of their union....just like bad teachers are hard to get rid of because of the teachers unions. Good point.
Honored Social Butterfly

First off, I would not take a cop's job for all the good American jobs in China. Republicans have so shredded the social contract that half the society has nothing to lose by choosing crime over lawfull behavior. Instead of a good education leading to a good job, people were given a poor education and a dead end job so the top 10% could keep all the income increases since the mid 1970's, AND claw back benefits and pay so now workers are worse off than they were in 1964.. Those folks on the fuzzy end of that lollypop have noticed, and they're not disposed to respect the ones who enforce their condition of servitude, and thanks to the NRAGOP, the bad guys are better armed than the cops.

That said, the current situation MUST change. Best way was shown to us by to good citizens of Camden NJ. They abolished their police department, and offered jobs to the cops who were NOT constantly involved with violence against those they were sworn (and paid) to serve and protect. It worked, and needs to be expanded. This "union busting" ploy has been used for generations by the Corporate Oligarchs and the laws that do not require previous union agreements to transfer to "new owners" when the HedgeVultures take over a company and reduce the pay of everybody (but them). Time to use the tools that shrank equality for past 50 years to help rebuild it.

Honored Social Butterfly

This is a ridiculous topic. The majority of police officers are good people. Unfortunately, about 15-20% of police officers get into the profession because they want to hurt and/or shoot people. However, taking away guns from the police department is not the solution, it's the most insane idea I've heard today.

Honored Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking  said;

Unfortunately, about 15-20% of police officers get into the profession because they want to hurt and/or shoot people.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That's a very EXTREME accusation.... and You're gonna have to back that up with proof. 

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@CriticalThinking  said;

Unfortunately, about 15-20% of police officers get into the profession because they want to hurt and/or shoot people.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That's a very EXTREME accusation.... and You're gonna have to back that up with proof. 

That is funny !   I have asked far right tRump supporters to back up their "extreme accusations" "with proof" over and over again to no avail !  ROFLMAO !!!!

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 

So you just made that up... again. More of the same. More unproven allegations presented as fact. 

There's a pattern and you can't escape the truth.

Present the proof. 2nd request

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@ChasKy53 

So you just made that up... again. More of the same. More unproven allegations presented as fact. 

There's a pattern and you can't escape the truth.

Present the proof. 2nd request

Nothing funnier that trump supporters accusing others of their own actions.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Again you've got nothing. At least explain your accusations... but no not even an attempt. 

Honored Social Butterfly

I know the union representing Firemen/paramedics (nearby county) have sent a letter stating if there is a reduction in law enforcement in high crime areas of the county, they will not respond unless they can carry weapons. 

Current policy is no 911 response without a ARMED deputy on scene when shootings or  violence is involved. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

I know the union representing Firemen/paramedics (nearby county) have sent a letter stating if there is a reduction in law enforcement in high crime areas of the county, they will not respond unless they can carry weapons. 

Current policy is no 911 response without a ARMED deputy on scene when shootings or  violence is involved. 

Lord they make them fragile down there.  I hope the powers that be understand the outrageous liability issues that presents. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Some are dancing around an issue.   If there were other agencies that could respond to the 911 calls, other than ill-equipped police who have been propagandized that the gun is their only tool AND they have a get out of jail free card.    Cops would not be the ones responding to "wellness checks" or family "disturbance" fights, or OMG a person is smoking a joint.     

Instead the RW is using more dog whistle comments - but there will be no cops.    They will attempt to drown out the sane voices that acknowledge that police have been targeting minorities since the "war on drugs" and it is past time to end that nonsense.    

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

Some around here would want a Social Worker dispatched when a 911 call comes in for a break in, robbery, rape, or murder.  Police in general are well trained in use of measured force.  Sending a Social Worker doesn't cut it when a violent criminal is breaking into your home.  All groups have bad apples (even Social Workers)!

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:
ChasKy53 wrote in blue text:

Some around here would want a Social Worker dispatched when a 911 call comes in for a break in, robbery, rape, or murder.  Really?  Can you quote anyone here saying that? Police in general are well trained in use of measured force. Oh?  So it was "measured force" for the cop to murder George Floyd by pinning him down with his knee on his neck? Was it "measured force" for a cop to shoot an unarmed black man in the back multiple times who was running away? Was it "measured force" for a cop to jump up on the hood of a car that other multiple squad cars had stopped and empty the clip of a nine millimeter through the windshield, killing the two unarmed black people inside? Sending a Social Worker doesn't cut it when a violent criminal is breaking into your home. So who has suggested "sending a social worker" under those circumstances? All groups have bad apples (even Social Workers)! So then we don't need to get rid of the "bad apples", just let them continue their killing?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote in red text:
Some around here would want a Social Worker dispatched when a 911 call comes in for a break in, robbery, rape, or murder. Really? Can you quote anyone here saying that? That's the impression liberals give off when asking for "defunding police". Police in general are well trained in use of measured force. Oh? So it was "measured force" for the cop to murder George Floyd by pinning him down with his knee on his neck? Was it "measured force" for a cop to shoot an unarmed black man in the back multiple times who was running away? Was it "measured force" for a cop to jump up on the hood of a car that other multiple squad cars had stopped and empty the clip of a nine millimeter through the windshield, killing the two unarmed black people inside? The police don't do this everyday which is impression you are under.  Sending a Social Worker doesn't cut it when a violent criminal is breaking into your home. So who has suggested "sending a social worker" under those circumstances?   Who are you going to send - yourself? All groups have bad apples (even Social Workers)! So then we don't need to get rid of the "bad apples", just let them continue their killing?

You act like this is a daily occurrence which it isn't.  If you don't like police, change them or leave the country but you can't get rid of them otherwise your liberal cities will be just like Afghanistan!

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote in red text:
 That's the impression liberals give off when asking for "defunding police".

No, "liberals" don't, just another false claim by far right tRump supporters

The police don't do this everyday which is impression you are under. 

No, I am under no such "impression", you are the one with the false "impressions" of what others say and mean.

Who are you going to send - yourself?

YOU, not I,  are the one who falsely implied that the left wanted to send a social worker in response to a "violent criminal breaking into your home". 

You act like this is a daily occurrence which it isn't.  If you don't like police, change them or leave the country but you can't get rid of them otherwise your liberal cities will be just like Afghanistan!

Sure is sad that tRump supporters think that bad cops would need to murder someone every day of the week before reforms are needed.

I never have said I didn't like the police, I just don't like bad cops that murder blacks or anyone else. 

So I'm supposed to "leave the country" if I don't like bad cops murdering people? Really? Are you OK with bad cops murdering people? Sure seems as though pushing for reforms that get rid of bad murdering cops is a much more sane and rational idaa than leaving.  But then, I'm no tRump supporter.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Sure is sad that tRump supporters think that bad cops would need to murder someone every day of the week before reforms are needed.

I never have said I didn't like the police, I just don't like bad cops that murder blacks or anyone else.

Trump supporters DON'T think bad cops should murder someone every day but some on the left feel cops should be executed every day.  I don't like (bad) cops that murder blacks or anyone else.  No normal person does but it doesn't happen EVERY DAY like you said!  What reforms would you like?  No choke holds? Maybe cops should have this weapon in their arsonal so fewer people die:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZUkLtNTZs8

Honored Social Butterfly

We should think about what we want from cops.

Maybe we should think about what we want from our society. 

Honored Social Butterfly

The problem is not Police having guns, its EVERYBODY having easy access to military weapons.

I would not take a cop's job for all the US jobs in China simply because they must deal with the scum of the earth POLITELY while trying to enforce ridiculous laws that they had no hand in creating in a population that has been taught from birth that they are precious snowflakes and whatever they do is okay.

There's a law against selling individual cigarettes - gee, who would you arrest for doing that? Only really poor people trying to make a living. There's lots of laws against pot - growing it, selling it, smoking it, or just having it, and again who do you imagine will be the ones getting arrested? Being a hooker is illegal, as is trying to (or arranging someone else to) hire one, but "renting out" an attractive companion to accompany you to your class reunion is a legitimate business. Again, who gets arrested?

So who wants a job that is going to mostly involve arresting poor people, most of whom are not white? Perhaps if our laws were more reasonable, so would our police.

But the first step is to restore the social contract shredded by Republican tax scams so those at the bottom are not living paycheck to paycheck. Cannot even begin the healing while Republicans hold political power.

Honored Social Butterfly

There are many reforms we can make in policing. Knowing that departments are not all the same. 

but I also personally know a lot of good cops and they are sick over bad cops and what they do. Let’s work toward the good and weed out the bad. 

Honored Social Butterfly

ManicProgressive:  but I also personally know a lot of good cops and they are sick over bad cops and what they do. Let’s work toward the good and weed out the bad. 

Same here. There are many things we could do to get better policing. First, they need to have better standards in who they hire. And it doesn't help at all that prosecutors depend on police in their court cases so naturally they're reluctant to prosecute them when they do wrong. Perhaps there should be a prosecutor that only handles police issues? That's just two of the many improvements we could make.

Honored Social Butterfly

We often forget... the police aren't called when good things happen. They are often bombarded with worse society can be and are frequently targets.

Tough job and recruiting is getting harder and harder.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

We often forget... the police aren't called when good things happen. They are often bombarded with worse society can be and are frequently targets.

Tough job and recruiting is getting harder and harder.

Oh really?  So that's why this cop killed George Floyd with his knee on his neck, strangling him for over 8 minutes? Is that why a cop shot an unarmed guy multiple times in the back who was running away? Is that why a cop chased two unarmed people in a car and after multiple squad cars had the people stopped, the cop pulled up in his vehicle, jumped out, ran over to the car, jumped up on the hood and emptied the clip of a nine millimeter through the windshield, killing both of them? There have been dozens of others killed in similar ways who were all unarmed. None of those people were "the worst in our society", they were simply guilty of being black. The policemen who murdered them weren't "targets", their victims were unarmed. Find some other excuse.

Honored Social Butterfly

https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/fbi-releases-2019-statistics-on-law-enforcement-off...

Officer Profiles. The average age of the officers who were feloniously killed was 40 years old. The victim officers had served in law enforcement for an average of 13 years at the times of the fatal incidents. Of the 48 officers:

45 were male
3 were female
40 were white
7 were black/African American
1 was Asian.

===================================================
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:
https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/fbi-releases-2019-statistics-on-law-enforcement-off...

Officer Profiles. The average age of the officers who were feloniously killed was 40 years old. The victim officers had served in law enforcement for an average of 13 years at the times of the fatal incidents. Of the 48 officers:

45 were male
3 were female
40 were white
7 were black/African American
1 was Asian.

===================================================

Here are the big differences between officers who are killed, and people who are killed by officers:

1) Justice will be served on those who kill police.  Not only do they go to trial, but they also face enhanced penalties for killing a police officer.  

2) Justice often is not served on police who kill others, especially when they kill black people or other people of color.  The system prevents it, from subconsciously thinking a police officer is a better witness than a civilian, to the two Supreme Court holdings that hold police to a different standard when it comes to murder.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I agree that we need to weed out the "bad" ones. Maybe they'll quit if we take away their guns. At least we might attract a different kind of personality without the "attraction" of the gun.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Law enforcement without guns? Have you thought that through? or is it just "feelings"?

Now...  if you could keep weapons out of the hands of criminals, you might have a rational argument.

I suppose if we were a nation of Tibetan monks it would work.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png