With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Police: 3-year-old shoots, kills 1-year-old after picking up unattended gun in Ohio home

Message 1 of 12

@cat2011 wrote:

Scout, we're saying the same thing in different ways. All I'm saying is that we should have mandatory trigger locks and longer prison terms for adults who leave loaded guns within the reach of a child.

Obviously that requires a Congress or state legislatures willing to pass those laws.

Just start posting ads declaring "Open Carry Protests" at the largest malls in the state capital and in front of the offices of a few large corporate donors.   I bet you would see some atitude adjustment. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Police: 3-year-old shoots, kills 1-year-old after picking up unattended gun in Ohio home

Message 2 of 12

Scout, we're saying the same thing in different ways. All I'm saying is that we should have mandatory trigger locks and longer prison terms for adults who leave loaded guns within the reach of a child.

Obviously that requires a Congress or state legislatures willing to pass those laws.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

@nyadrn wrote:

@cat2011 wrote:

I disagree. I think you can fix stupid--or at least mitigate its effects. No other Western country has these endless stories of children getting hold of loaded guns and shooting themselves or each other. We could at least take some common-sense measures:

1. Require trigger locks on all guns. This is old technology now, but a trigger lock would have prevented the tragedy.

2. Mandate real sentences for adults whose negligence leads to the death of a child. Two years doesn't seem like much time to pay for the life of a six-year-old. If the adult were charged with negligent homicide, he would serve more time. If a drunk who kills someone in a car accident can be charged with negligent homicide, why not a gun owner who leaves a loaded gun in reach of a child?

These aren't accidents--they're crimes on the part of the adult who doesn't secure his gun. I feel little sympathy for the adults involved.

Personal responsibility!

Exactly. We keep excusing the adults instead of holding them responsible.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Sorry cat, on this one you are mistaken YOU CANNOT FIX STUPID.

What you CAN do is stop letting STUPID write our laws. This will require getting rid of a couple troglodyte Fascists on SCOTUS and replacing them with rational human beings.

Then they can rule our founding fathers were not writing a suicide pact and the 2d Amendment is only concerned with maintaining a well regulated militia (aka National Guard). Then ban private possession, manufacture (except under quantity-specific Government contracts), sale and transport of all automatic and semiautomatic firearms.

Small children kill with firearms because all they have to do is pull the trigger. Add one more step (cocking the gun) and you save more lives than all the trigger lock laws you can devise. With the trigger lock laws, the problem virtually vanishes and we can stop killing 20,000 Americans each year just because stupid has been writing and interpreting our laws.

A more logical solution:  the only type of gun in the home should be one that needs to be muzzle loaded with buckshot and be the size of a musket loaded rifle that was the vogue in 1776.    Well that or the nifty gun that requires a wristband link that will stop it from being accidentally fired.

What good does it do to add more to the prison population except to destroy more families.

There is something wrong with society - when the first knee-jerk action is PRISON.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

@cat2011 wrote:

I disagree. I think you can fix stupid--or at least mitigate its effects. No other Western country has these endless stories of children getting hold of loaded guns and shooting themselves or each other. We could at least take some common-sense measures:

1. Require trigger locks on all guns. This is old technology now, but a trigger lock would have prevented the tragedy.

2. Mandate real sentences for adults whose negligence leads to the death of a child. Two years doesn't seem like much time to pay for the life of a six-year-old. If the adult were charged with negligent homicide, he would serve more time. If a drunk who kills someone in a car accident can be charged with negligent homicide, why not a gun owner who leaves a loaded gun in reach of a child?

These aren't accidents--they're crimes on the part of the adult who doesn't secure his gun. I feel little sympathy for the adults involved.

Sorry cat, on this one you are mistaken YOU CANNOT FIX STUPID.

What you CAN do is stop letting STUPID write our laws. This will require getting rid of a couple troglodyte Fascists on SCOTUS and replacing them with rational human beings.

Then they can rule our founding fathers were not writing a suicide pact and the 2d Amendment is only concerned with maintaining a well regulated militia (aka National Guard). Then ban private possession, manufacture (except under quantity-specific Government contracts), sale and transport of all automatic and semiautomatic firearms.

Small children kill with firearms because all they have to do is pull the trigger. Add one more step (cocking the gun) and you save more lives than all the trigger lock laws you can devise. With the trigger lock laws, the problem virtually vanishes and we can stop killing 20,000 Americans each year just because stupid has been writing and interpreting our laws.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

@nyadrn wrote:

@cat2011 wrote:

Personal responsibility!

I think you should have to pass an IQ test before you purchase a gun

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

@cat2011 wrote:

Personal responsibility!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

Just HELLO, Okay I had one hillbilly uncle with a rifle collection in a locked case...and a grandfather with a hand gun in a cabinet in the dining room. No children around and it was sold when he went senile. If you have young-under 10-children in the house you have to keep that firearm so frickin secure that YOU probably can't use it in an emergency...better to have the best security system...a loud dog. You have to feed, walk and love it but yeah one or two serious sounding pups and ain't nobody breaking in.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

cat2011 wrote:

You are correct on every point cat, but none of that will ever be permitted as long as the NRA controls congress and keeps the nutters on the verge of frenzy at any common sense measure.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

Kudos
Views