Honored Social Butterfly

Plant Trees

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2019/07/04/could-planting-tons-of-trees-solve-climate-chan...

Could Planting Tons of Trees Solve Climate Change?

Climate change is devastating coral reefs, raising sea levels and displacing people across the globe. Now researchers say the best solution is also the simplest: plant more forests. In a new analysis out Thursday in the journal Science, scientists report restoring forests could cut atmospheric carbon by 25 percent.

“We all knew restoring forests could play a part in tackling climate change, but we had no scientific understanding of what impact this could make,” ETH Zurich environmental systems scientist Tom Crowther, who led the new research, said in a press release.

“Our study shows clearly that forest restoration is the best climate change solution available today and it provides hard evidence to justify investment. If we act now, this could cut carbon dioxide in the atmosphere … to levels last seen almost a century ago.”

Plants’ Potential

Trees take up carbon from the atmosphere to use for photosynthesis, the process plants use to make food from sunlight. In forests, trees turn atmospheric carbon into wood. Conserving and restoring forests are a part of many global initiatives to reduce atmospheric carbon. In its most recent report, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change indicated a 1 billion hectare (about 2.4 billion acre) increase in forests could limit global warming to 1.5 degrees C (2.7 degrees F) by 2050.

To determine what kind of impact restoring forests around the globe might have on climate change, Crowther and team measured tree cover around the world with Google Earth. They zoomed in on thousands of areas around the world to characterize the tree cover and then extrapolate that data to a broader area.

In sum, the researchers assessed the tree cover of more than 78,000 square hectares of land. Then they created a model that predicts Earth’s potential forest capacity.

Cut Man-made Carbon

The analysis revealed the planet could currently support 4.4 billion hectares of forest. About 2.8 billion hectares already exist, which means more than 1.6 billion hectares are available for forest restoration. When the team excluded land already in use for urban and agricultural areas, they found there’s 0.9 billion hectares of land available for planting forests.

“If you convert that into carbon, that’s about 200 gigatonnes of carbon,” said ecologist Jean-Francois Bastin, who co-authored the new work, in an accompanying video. Globally, humans have put about 300 gigatonnes of carbon into the atmosphere to date. The findings suggest forest restoration could cut humanity’s carbon footprint by two-thirds.

“This is beautiful thing, just to think that to fight climate change what you have to do is to plant trees and you can do that everywhere,” Bastin said.

Honored Social Butterfly

The hypocrisy of RW is that they will allow the planting of trees and then leave them to die, because many would not provide funds for the care and maintenance of saplings.    How could I possibly say that - it was the been there / done that which has been carried out by one of donalds BFF  Erdogan / Turkey planted 11 M saplings in 3 hours....90% have died.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/30/most-of-11m-trees-planted-in-turkish-project-may-be-de...

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/majority-of-trees-planted-in-turkish-project-may-be-dead

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

There are more trees to day in the northern hemisphere, then a 100 years ago. That is common knowledge. 

What ever happened to earth day? instead we have outrage as the tool for climate activists. 

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/480968-gop-lawmaker-wants-us-to-commit-to-planting-33-...

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi
Please do visit below link to know about fertilizers which to grow your plants and flowers faster.

https://www.usefertilizer.com/fertilizers/
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Have you noticed that the Regressives here immediately pounced on the difference between "corps" and "corp" as an excuse not to discuss solutions.  Proving again that Republicans have no capacity to govern or solve the problems which face us. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

Have you noticed that the Regressives here immediately pounced on the difference between "corps" and "corp" as an excuse not to discuss solutions.  Proving again that Republicans have no capacity to govern or solve the problems which face us. 

Yet you replied with a post about 'subsidising'  hog and bean farmers, so apparently you don't want to discuss solutions.  What does that say?  What have you done about the environment by being green? 

We have planted trees and plants all over my property, not just to be having trees and vegetation, but those that have a purpose.  This includes orange, satsuma, fig, pecan trees; even ornamental trees and flowering plants to attract and sustain honey bees to pollinate. It's relaxing to sit on our porch and watch the bees and hummingbirds among our flowers.  I can even sit here at my desk and watch birds enjoy our garden out of the patio door.  Nothing like contributing to the environment by furnishing a home for insects and for the birds to forage.

We even propagate these trees and plants (from cuttings) as gifts to others that they can plant them on their property. From the trees we have a bounty of fruit and edibles that is more than we can use; these we freely give away to others.

Ok, now that you have questioned another poster, what have you done to address solutions? 

Honored Social Butterfly

We have planted trees and plants all over my property

Eight billion people on the planet, if everyone did what you did it would help, but not everyone has a yard to plant trees in. 

Planting trees won't solve the problem of anthropogenic emissions alone but it will buys us some time, plant trees, renewables, electric cars in one form or another, EV or hybrids, better batteries, large stationary batteries, better insulation in homes, conservation, direct carbon capture, recycle carbon instead of extracting if from fossil fuels. 

People cut down rain forests for a pittance becuase they're poor and that is the work they can get, we could pay them the same pittance to plant trees instead of cutting them down. 

There are a thousand solutions to anthropogenic emissions and climate change.

Nothing to it, but to do it. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Plant Trees

We talked about issues and problems in the present and near future, climate change, automation, artificial intelligence, basic income.

A lot of that sounds far fetched to people today, but I think we have already had a basic income scheme that was a huge success.

We had the CCC in the 1930s, for people that don't know, young men could join the CCC and be paid $ 25.00 a month, they were given $ 5 a month to spend, and $ 20 dollars was sent home to the family.

That $ 25 dollars would be worth $ 455 today, I had five uncles in the CCC, that works out to $ 1654 a month sent home to support the family in today's dollars. 

They planted trees and did a lot of reforestation. Built parks, a lot of different stuff. 

Put people to work saving the planet, provide a basic income, build parks, prepare them for other public service, such as the military, remedial education, physical fitness ,  encourage other countries to do the same.

When I was a kid, my parents used to love going for car rides, we would pull over at road side stops and cook hot dogs and eat salad.  They told me stories about the CCCs then, I understand now those rides were them taking pride in what they had a part in.

Esteemed Social Butterfly

@gruffstuff wrote:

Plant Trees

We talked about issues and problems in the present and near future, climate change, automation, artificial intelligence, basic income.

A lot of that sounds far fetched to people today, but I think we have already had a basic income scheme that was a huge success.

We had the CCC in the 1930s, for people that don't know, young men could join the CCC and be paid $ 25.00 a month, they were given $ 5 a month to spend, and $ 20 dollars was sent home to the family.

That $ 25 dollars would be worth $ 455 today, I had five uncles in the CCC, that works out to $ 1654 a month sent home to support the family in today's dollars. 

They planted trees and did a lot of reforestation. Built parks, a lot of different stuff. 

Put people to work saving the planet, provide a basic income, build parks, prepare them for other public service, such as the military, remedial education, physical fitness ,  encourage other countries to do the same.

When I was a kid, my parents used to love going for car rides, we would pull over at road side stops and cook hot dogs and eat salad.  They told me stories about the CCCs then, I understand now those rides were them taking pride in what they had a part in.

Excellent idea!

I have visited the site of the first CCC camp -- Camp Roosevelt in the George Washington NF in VA. 

The first national park to establish CCC camps was Shenandoah.  When I worked in SNP in the early 2000s, a friend and I would look for, find, and explore the original CCC sites.  Nature is fierce in reclaiming her land, but we found remnants and artifacts which prompted us to further research the history.  Amazing what the CCC accomplished.

I have done the same with the CCC camps at the battlefields of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Wilderness, and Spotsylvania Courthouse.  I see why your family is proud of their CCC heritage. @gruffstuff.

CCC transplants tree in SNPCCC transplants tree in SNP

CCC planting in SNPCCC planting in SNP

Photos courtesy of NPS (SNP)

Honored Social Butterfly

https://treesource.org/news/lands/ccc-tree-planting/

85 years ago: FDR’s forest army planted 3 billion trees in national forests, shelter belts

FDR's forest armyCCC members planted 3 billion trees, earning the nickname “Roosevelt’s tree army.” Photo: National Archives

Honored Social Butterfly

The Civilian Conservation Corps, part of The New Deal.  Many trump supporters probably don't even know what it was without Googling it. LOL

This could be used to day but trump and the Republicans would rather spend $1.9 Trillion on tax cuts for the 1%.

It's a shame that Republicans have become Regressive and shills for the 1%.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

ChasKy53:  The Civilian Conservation Core, part of The New Deal. 

I'd bet that today's conservatives would try their best to end/sabotage a program like that. They would hate it.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Panjandrum wrote:

ChasKy53:  The Civilian Conservation Core, part of The New Deal. 

I'd bet that today's conservatives would try their best to end/sabotage a program like that. They would hate it.

Of course they would stand against it, it costs money and isn't designed to give to the wealthiest in our nation.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Of course they would stand against it, it costs money and isn't designed to give to the wealthiest in our nation.

What are you doing about planting trees and combating greenhouse gasses?  Do you think that someone who worked for, and retired from a major automobile manufacturer has contributed to the problem?

It doesn't take a government program to plant trees or vegetation that helps with the problem.  What about JFK's asking about what one can do for the country, etc?

Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

What are you doing about planting trees and combating greenhouse gasses?  Do you think that someone who worked for, and retired from a major automobile manufacturer has contributed to the problem?

It doesn't take a government program to plant trees or vegetation that helps with the problem.  What about JFK's asking about what one can do for the country, etc?

I wasn't the automobile manufacturer, I didn't run the company either. You were in the military, are you responsible for all of their greenhouse gasses, land and water pollution? Did you contribute to all of that?

Sorry you don't understand that government programs are capable of planting far more trees than an individual can plant in their yard. I have 6 acres of solid woods and a 2 acre yard with 51 very old and mature Oak, Hickory, Walnut, Beech, Ash and other trees. Yes, I have also planted some and nursed new ones that have sprouted. But I just can't compete with an organized National Government Program, more power to you if you can.

I would say that I do as much or more than you do to combat greenhouse gasses. We recycle everything, all glass, aluminum, plastic and recyclable cupboards and paper. We use high gas mileage vehicles. We are getting ready to do solar for our water heater, and am looking at solar for power and heat in my 39' by 39' garage.

So would you stand against a program today like the CCC ?

Have a nice night.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

I wasn't the automobile manufacturer, I didn't run the company either. You were in the military, are you responsible for all of their greenhouse gasses, land and water pollution? Did you contribute to all of that?

But I'm not the one who is arguing that the government is responsible for reforesting the planet.  I am taking care of my little part of the world by planting trees, bushes and vegetation. 

The CCC was a program to put people to work, not just for the program itself. 

Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country,”  JFK.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

The Civilian Conservation Core, part of The New Deal.  Many trump supporters probably don't even know what it was without Googling it. LOL

That from someone who doesn't realize that it is the Civilian Conversation CORPS, not Core?  Much the same as Obama calling 'corpsman' as 'corpse-man'.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

The Civilian Conservation Corps, part of The New Deal.  Many trump supporters probably don't even know what it was without Googling it. LOL

That from someone who doesn't realize that it is the Civilian Conversation CORPS, not Core?  Much the same as Obama calling 'corpsman' as 'corpse-man'. 

Oh thank you for pointing out the spelling error, I'll be sure to point out yours.  By the way, I said nothing of Obama.  And I stand by "many trump supporters probably don't even know what it was", or even 'The New Deal'.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Oh thank you for pointing out the spelling error, I'll be sure to point out yours.  By the way, I said nothing of Obama.  And I stand by "many trump supporters probably don't even know what it was", or even 'The New Deal'.

Of course my comment wasn't about Obama but just using it as a reference to the similarity to your usage.  But then there is the attempt to make it sound as if it was about him. 

Where do you get your blanket allegation about Trump supporters?  Can you document where a person is supporting him?  And what does that have to do with planting trees?  One doesn't have to wait for the government to sponsor planting.  There is still the initiative about individual effort.

Since you have a problem with Trump, what are you doing about your Senator who enables Trump to carry out his policies? 

Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Since you have a problem with Trump, what are you doing about your Senator who enables Trump to carry out his policies? 

He not my Senator, he's just the Senator that the trump loving idiots here in Kentucky keep putting into office. Even they are getting tired of him now. McConnell is a gutless self serving hind end that sold out to trump. Trump appointed McConnell's wife and brother-in-law ..... yep he 'bought' McConnell. I am very active in the Democratic Party in my state and much effort will be put into trying to get McTurtle out of office this next election.

Thanks for asking.

So would you support a modern day program similar to the CCC?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

He not my Senator,

Whether you participated by voting in federal elections or not both he and Paul are your Senators.  But according to what we read here there are some who thinks they have the choice of not accepting the outcome because they didn't get their way.

The Senators from your state are still the ones who represent you in the Senate, just like the other governmental office holders.  That is what democracy is all about.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Of course my comment wasn't about Obama but just using it as a reference to the similarity to your usage.  But then there is the attempt to make it sound as if it was about him. 

Where do you get your blanket allegation about Trump supporters?  Can you document where a person is supporting him?  And what does that have to do with planting trees?  One doesn't have to wait for the government to sponsor planting.  There is still the initiative about individual effort.

My only problem with Trump is that he was not elected by a majority of the American voters and he seems to be either a complete incompetent or a lackey of Putin.  Time will tell which is the case. 

On the subject of trees, how do you propose we plant the one trillion trees over 3.5 million square  miles located in multiple countries around the globe?  Oh, and you still have to stop generating new greenhouse gases AND get the trees to grow to adulthood by, say.....next year.

Wave what appears to be a simple solution to a complex problem and Republicans will flock to your door.

https://www.livescience.com/65880-planting-trees-fights-climate-change.html

Honored Social Butterfly

So consistent Tex , pick on Obama's few misstatements , but say nothing about the falsehoods and blunders of plenty from Trump.

Maybe we should also give Trump credit for allowing the massive digging for Gold in Alaska's and the World's largest Salmon Spawning River.

Who needs stinking Wild Salmon , when a few can have GOLD !!!

Honored Social Butterfly

@mandm84 wrote:

So consistent Tex , pick on Obama's few misstatements , but say nothing about the falsehoods and blunders of plenty from Trump.

To the contrary, my remarks was about the poster using 'core' instead of the correct 'corps'.  Obama's misquote was just used as an example of the poster's gaffe.

My political opinion isn't to support Trump nor a Democrat; being more of an Independent which I've embraced through the influence of my heritage.  I actually believe that anyone who identifies solely with either political party forsakes the idea of democracy.

I do note that liberals here have a 'follow the leader' mantra where everyone goes along with the crowd with socialistic ideas.

So what does your post have to do with planting trees?  Another liberal trait of going off-topic.

Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@mandm84 wrote:

To the contrary, my remarks was about the poster using 'core' instead of the correct 'corps'.  Obama's misquote was just used as an example of the poster's gaffe.

My political opinion isn't to support Trump nor a Democrat; being more of an Independent which I've embraced through the influence of my heritage.  I actually believe that anyone who identifies solely with either political party forsakes the idea of democracy.

I do note that liberals here have a 'follow the leader' mantra where everyone goes along with the crowd with socialistic ideas.

So what does your post have to do with planting trees?  Another liberal trait of going off-topic.

Would an example of a "good socialist idea" be subsidising hog and bean farmers who have lost their markets and can no longer compete in a free market? 

Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

The Civilian Conservation Core, part of The New Deal.  Many trump supporters probably don't even know what it was without Googling it. LOL

Or Trump and the "Prince of Whales"

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Oh, but a trump supporter would never criticize trump.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

The emphasis was on 'corps' versus 'core' and 'corpse-man' not Trump versus Obama.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Of course planting trees would help in the long term ............... but we have simply got to drastically reduce the amounts of CO 2 we are dumping into the atmosphere.

Honored Social Butterfly

Unfortunately our President wants to burn more Coal. Can we move past the 50's ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png