From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Physician shortage- blame Donald.

Message 1 of 5

Oh, Trump's hate adds to the shortage alright.

Cleveland Clinic doctor denied entry to US amid Trump’s executive order

http://fox8.com/2017/01/29/cleveland-clinic-doctor-denied-entry-to-us-amid-trumps-executive-order/

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

@afisher wrote:

Oh gee, then I should have said that Donald's new hate has only exacerbated the shortage of physicians in the US.  

Yes, the US AMA created the problem and knowing that, have not seen any reason to change, it is a White Income issue.      http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/business/economy/long-slog-for-foreign-doctors-to-practice-in-us.h...

Perhaps you should have. that is probably more accurate. The fact that we have seen no reason for a change, does not absolve us from the problem either.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

Oh gee, then I should have said that Donald's new hate has only exacerbated the shortage of physicians in the US.  

Yes, the US AMA created the problem and knowing that, have not seen any reason to change, it is a White Income issue.      http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/business/economy/long-slog-for-foreign-doctors-to-practice-in-us.h...

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

I  am not going to argue  the point of your post. but I sincerely believe that the shortage of doctors in the US is not just Trump's fault and his ban.

I know for many years now, how extremely difficult is to be able to become accepted into a Medical school in the US. the amount of requirement that they want from anyone applying to Medical schools is stagering. 
Not only the cost that probably tops over 100,000  per student.

For many years, I have seen the AMA being extremely particular regarding enctrance into any Medical School, to the point that many Americans have gone to the University of Guadalajara in Mexico to obtain their medical degrees.

And I imagine other countries.
So, now, they have created this situation and now they have to remedy by bringing here foreigners to study medicine and practice in the US?

Well, I personally don't aprrove, but I also understand that this has been in the making for many years.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Physician shortage- blame Donald.

Message 5 of 5

Once again Donald and his hate filled AG never ever considered their ban on travel to have any affect on the US economy.     

As a reminder, it was the Repubs here who whined incessantly about the physician shortage and how they may have to wait to see their GP or primary care physician because that is how some Medicare Programs are designed.     These same people whined even louder when millions purchased healthcare insurance through ACA.       Weirdly, the reality was that  those complaints were mostly just that, complaints without merit.

Why?   was there anything else that changed?   And that answer is YES, medical schools have known that there will be a large deficit of physicians, especially at  the lower income range, aka General practitioner.   So Medical Schools have been accepting foreign nationals to come to the US for medical training and working in US as GP physicians.

With the Donald / Jeff Sessions / DHS plan to prevent people from coming to the US, that has made some of the Medical Schools to hesitate who will come to US for fear of deportation on a whim of someone in DC.

One-in-four doctors in the U.S. are foreign born, including an estimated 15,000 from the seven countries already included in Mr. Trump’s travel ban. 

“In this county, the shortage of primary care physicians is about half of what’s needed,” Kruse said.      Many of these physicians are in rural locations.   

“International medical graduates are a very important part of the American health system,” said Dr. Andrew Gurman, president of the American Medical Association. 

“In many places, the international medical graduate physician is the medical system. So people should be very concerned about this,” Gurman added.

OOPS.    I'd say, don't be stupid....but then hate and fear has driven many to not pay attention to the reality of what is going to happen.      http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-travel-ban-impact-on-international-doctors-american-health-system/

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors