Prevention is the best medicine when it comes to avoiding surprise medical bills! Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Period Poverty

Message 21 of 48
What is the reason Republicans are so insistant that, amid the incredible riches our nation produces, some Americans must remain unable to have basic necessities? @scout..........so many of them could if we as their fellow Americans would reach into our own pockets and help those around us. This is what is called, 'Being a good neighbor and good citizen." We can't sit by and post about the problem. WE have to tackle it. It can be helped faster without interference from the Government who can't seem to get anything done. Perhaps we have to set the example.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 48

I know what my grandmother did and what my mother did also in the beginning before such products were readily available

You know slang for sanitary products is rags right?

Pad poster

I imagine that was the upper end of what was used back then. Women also just stayed home to deal with menstrual cycles, the lack of good menstrual sanitary products has something to do with women in school and the workplace and the position and status of women in society.

Some parts of the world women still use cloth pads.

It's not hard to understand the stigma  of the menstrual cycle and the desire of some women to hide it.

So here comes the perspective of  a plumber. Sanitary products in plumbing and pipes are a huge problem. Even something as small as a tampon causes problems, in old plumbing the problem is even worse.

The advice I  give people is the only thing that goes into the toilet is what comes out of your body and toilet paper so light it almost dissolves in water, used in small portions at for each wipe ( four squares ). Do that two times and if you still feel the need to wipe, flush and repeat.

I think free sanitary products is a good idea for different reason

One is it can affect what people use and how they use it, supply the most modern sanitary method for free and people will be most likely to use that method.

Two is it reduces the stigma of the menstrual cycle and the desire to hide it, what I'm taking about here is flushing the evidence down the toilet.

Three is as we walk back the stigma of the menstrual cycle woman's place in the world improves, at home, at school, at the workplace. 

A women's place is no longer in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant, people just need to learn to deal with and accept the natural functions and roles of women, like the menstrual cycle and motherhood, breast feeding, the need for childcare.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 48

In the depth of the Republican caused Great Depression, FDR reminded us of Americans entitlement to four freedoms: the freedom of speech and expression, the freedom to worship God in his own way, freedom from want and freedom from fear.

What is the reason Republicans are so insistant that, amid the incredible riches our nation produces, some Americans must remain unable to have basic necessities?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 48
It has never been a "female only" thing - it has always been a human thing.@alferd.......here is another "human subject".......male impotence. Why do you think it is such a taboo subject for men? If mentioned, some of them become angry and say it is about pride. I personally think some open discussion on the subject could be a good thing. Aging men don't seem to realize that a woman who loves them can and will understand this is part of the ageing process.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 48

Men and women marry and share everything in their lives (well - hopefully)

Women have menses - an inevitable part of their spouses' life.

I remember when I was about seven, my mom sat me down and explained that my older sister had reached menarche - what it was all about and all - and that I should give her a hug, tell her mom had explained it to me, and all...

If a man has a rational and functional brain, he will listen to his spouse and learn about what's what and learn as much as he can about that portion of reality...

We raised seven daughters, and when five reached menarche (the first two were pregnant teens when they came to us, so we were a little late there) we both together talked with them and answered all of their questions, and made certain that they knew about told them about all the old lies, nonsense, and millenia old myths and fairy tales that the stupid among them would persist in believing...

My wife was always, and still is adamant that if a boyfriend avoided her or wouldn't consider engaging in "intimacies" during her menses - she should get rid of him - she deserved a whole man - not half a man - something I have always wholly agreed with.  

It has never  been a "female only" thing - it has always been a human thing.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 48

@mickstuder wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@oceanedge2 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Have to wonder how the men on this thread could be telling women about sanitary napkins?  Unless of course they personally have a need for them? 

Just saying...........Tx  I just gave you a kudo. you really hit it, that isconversation for females unless the males now use Tampax

Both of you are completely off the mark. 

Of course my remarks was that I felt it curious that there has been several male posters posting and telling men about a product specifically for women....unless of course these days one don't know for sure .......

Well, I'm not bragging but I have been married 4 times to 3 different woman and I have 3 daughters so I've been surrounded by this subject for a long long time

That reminds me of a Story - one day my Step-mother needed some stuff at the local market - she supplied me with a hand-written note and some money and told me to ride my bicycle to the store pick up the stuff as quick as possible and get back home...................

Her handwriting was horrible but between the clerk and myself we figured most of it out except for one item on the list - to both of us it looked like Molasses so thats what I got - a medium size bottle of Grandma's Molasses - I paid the bill and rushed home with the bag of stuff and got a beating for my efforts

MODESS not Molasses

LOL.....hopefully she made you a batch of her best molasses cookies  Smiley Very Happy

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 48

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@oceanedge2 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Have to wonder how the men on this thread could be telling women about sanitary napkins?  Unless of course they personally have a need for them? 

Just saying...........Tx  I just gave you a kudo. you really hit it, that isconversation for females unless the males now use Tampax

Of course my remarks was that I felt it curious that there has been several male posters posting and telling men about a product specifically for women....unless of course these days one don't know for sure .......

Well, I'm not bragging but I have been married 4 times to 3 different woman and I have 3 daughters so I've been surrounded by this subject for a long long time

That reminds me of a Story - one day my Step-mother needed some stuff at the local market - she supplied me with a hand-written note and some money and told me to ride my bicycle to the store pick up the stuff as quick as possible and get back home...................

Her handwriting was horrible but between the clerk and myself we figured most of it out except for one item on the list - to both of us it looked like Molasses so thats what I got - a medium size bottle of Grandma's Molasses - I paid the bill and rushed home with the bag of stuff and got a beating for my efforts

MODESS not Molasses

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 48

@GailL1 wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

I know what my grandmother did and what my mother did also in the beginning before such products were readily available.

So what about our female college students?  They say they need free birth control - think they need this too?

What about others that are in the throws of poverty and are still menstruating?

NYT 08/29/2018 - Scotland to Provide Free Sanitary Products to Students

A parttime job on or off campus does help pay for incidentals.

Do we need a subsidy or a manufacturers program for low/no cost supplies for these female indigent?

I've read this over a few times and I'm still a little in the dark about what your point is - the entire thing seems far-fetched and quite absurd................................so I hope you keep that in mind when you're reviewing my response - it's made with the same intent as this post

Hysterectomy at Puberty for all Females living in the USA

This would solve all the Arguments over who gets nominated for the Supreme Court and why - it would also allow female indigents living in Poverty to concentrate their resources on things like Vision & Dental Hygene...................the Little Sisters of Mercy and Hobby Lobby could spend their extra savings on supporting Homophobic Bakers........................

Well, in closing - I think there are many more problems solved than created with this approach and I beleive I've certainly made my point........................................

If you want to suggest the way to solve problems is by cutting of Noses to Spite Faces - I'm down

Sorry, I had no idea that it would be this confusing - thought the link said it all.

I really didn't think about it as a problem - the cost of sanitary products for females in college.

Let's not get into the ridiculous.  Rags would still be a cheap alternative - external use so there is not a problem with Toxic Shock.  Many women had to come up with something before the invent of sanitary products (thank goodness for ingenuity and capitalism) - Wonder who invented them??

When you start hanging out - links from 2015 (Obama) and repeatedly mention - subsidies for low income - (Democrats).................................

I think most of us understand - what you are saying

They say they need free birth control - think they need this too? -

Who are they?

What about others that are in the throws of poverty and are still menstruating?

Who says Throws of Poverty in 2018? - Well I looked it up and guess who popped up? Womans Republic - Kathleen Kerridge -The Odyssey Community at Arizona State where you can watch

David Dobrik’s - A Racist Pigs - Youtubes

Do we need a subsidy ..............................low/no cost supplies for these female indigent?

NO and the link is for a program in Scotland not the USA - now thats confusing

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 48

@oceanedge2 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 48

@rker321 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Both of you are completely off the mark.  I'm not addressing the costs of products as is Gail's topic but instead the safety of feminine products.  Intelligent men and women are concerned because Toxic Shock Syndrome is not the only adverse effect women have suffered from because of these products.  My cousin's wife was hospitalized for a full week before the cause of her painful medical condition was toxicity linked to (2) of the chemicals used in her brand of sanitary pads.  To think her husband should have ignored her distress because HE doesn't use the product is ridiculous.  Maybe you two don't believe he should have even been responsible for the hospital costs.  Only ignorance would tell men they have no business addressing this problem.  Sorry to be harsh but your statements are appaling.

Feminine hygiene products can be dangerous — so why aren't they regulated?

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/healthcare/333459-feminine-hygiene-products-can-be-dangerous-s...

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors