Your pain isn't like anyone else's, and science is homing in on better treatments. Read about the newest ways to break pain's grip.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Perhaps We Should Look to The AUSTRALIAN System of Health Care Coverage

Message 1 of 9

I have come to the conclusion that one of the worse problem we have is that MANY people do not understand our / their health care system coverage - no matter what that might be.  Whether it is just too complicated of a system (or their system - whatever that might be) or they do not think it is worth studying and understanding or whether they just THINK it is suppose to be the way they THINK it is and there is no overcoming this.

I just spent hours today explaining the Medicare system to a new group of 65 year olds and a smathering of people who have been on SSDI for 24 months and are ready to go on Medicare.

My brain is fried !!!!!  Maybe as time goes on, these groups will get better at researching the system for themselves, for their benefit - Ya think????

Do you remember what so many got so angry a bout Obamacare? The mandate. they would not understand the necessary that everyone should be insured and that everyone should be counted.

Well that mentality still exists. for reasons that I have never understood, Americans have a distorted notion of freedoms. and they apply those distortions to all that is new and that could be a change.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

@GailL1 wrote:

As you can see from this Commonwealth Fund Analysis - they rank #2 in their overall rating and #1 in Healthcare Outcomes.

The Australian public system covers everybody with listed basic coverage but private health insurance is also purchased by many to supplement the public coverage.

Here are some links that will fully describe the Australian Health Care System.

VOX:   04/15/2019 - Sarah Kliff - What Australia can teach America about health care

Commonwealth Fund - International Healthcare System Profile - The AUSTRALIA Healthcare System

NCBI.gov - National Library of Medicine / National Institute of Health - April 2018 - A review of th...

Good Idea ??? 

Once we get into it yes we should look at every system around the world and see what they are doing well, and if it would fit into what we want to do. Now to the real world. The first thing you have to do is decide the basics of our new system. I am sure it will be a medicare for all type since all have to be covered to make any system work well. Will it be one system, or a number of systems linked together. The VA system is for veteran's and has some special areas it works in, plus it builds hospitals, and pays a provider staff. The Indian Health service builds hospitals, housings, roads and towns where needed, plus pays and houses a provider staff. Rural areas have different problems than large cities, just as states with a lot of land and rough terrain, with few people have different problems. These are some of the first problems you need to have worked out before you start looking at the medical provider systems used anywhere since they will influence what is done. To spend time now on looking at what other countries provider systems is a total waste of time. Lets get the experts who will be working on a new total program in action to solve the problem. As they issue reports discuss away on what they suggest. Now all do know nothing will happen in this area until Trump is gone from office as he is the biggest problem. Trump wants to kill health care in the US through his AG and the courts.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

@Richva wrote:

Very good idea. That is the system they have in British Columbia, Canada. I can't speak for the rest of the provinces.  For example, the basic government coverage will put you in a hospital bed with 3 other patients in a ward setting. If you want a private room you can pay for it when admitted or you (or your employer) an purchase an upgraded policy. 

I don't see the similarity which you see between the Candian (BC) system and the Australian system.  In Canada, private insurance has to cover things NOT covered by the Canadian Medicare program.  In Australia, private insurance can give more coverage or better coverage - like your example of a ward vs private room in a hospital. 

Remember the problem that the Canadian system is having - people want to circumvent the system by paying private providers (not enrolled in the Canadian Medicare plan or opted-out)  to bump them up in line within the Canadian Medicare plan.  It is against the Canadian system for any sort of insurance to cover something which the Federal plan provides via the provinces or territories.

The Problem from https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/publications/health-system-services/canada-health-ac...

. . . . the Canada Health Act, . . . . eliminates patient charges for services that should be publicly insured. The Canada Health Act, and the values that it represents, form the foundation of our health care system, and much like the foundation of a house, if we allow cracks to form, there is a risk that this building will start to crumble.

This is why the Government of Canada has joined the Government of British Columbia in court to defend against a Charter challenge which seeks to dismantle our publicly funded health care system and allow physicians and private clinics to charge patients whatever the market will bear for medically necessary services.

. . . . For the most part, Medicare works well and patients receive the care they need without having to pay out of pocket. However, in many parts of the country, patients are being charged for diagnostic services, such as MRI or CT scans, at private clinics. If a patient goes to a hospital for the exact same service, they would not be charged. The federal position has always been that patients should not face charges for medically necessary hospital and physician services – this includes diagnostic services – regardless of where the service is provided. Paying to skip the queue for diagnostic services also allows these individuals to be fast-tracked for any follow up care in the public system. This goes against the fundamental principle of access based on need, not on the ability to pay.

From the British Columbia part of the Minister's Report:

The MPA (section 45) prohibits the sale or issuance of health insurance by private insurers to patients for services that would be a publicly funded benefit. Section 17 prevents extra-billing by prohibiting persons from being charged for a benefit or for "materials, consultations, procedures, and use of an office, clinic or other place or for any other matters that relate to the rendering of a benefit."

Like you, I don't have all the various details down for each of the Provinces and Territories but I do like that BC does cover Medical Assistance (Aid) in Dying - assessment, event preparation and procedure.  They just added it; along with 56 other physician services but at the same time they deleted 20 other services.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

@rker321 wrote:

Great Gail and how do you deal with the divisions and the ethnocentrism that exist in the American culture.?

no matter what you show, no matter what you think Americans want, you will never be able to see a model that will suit all.

If the government would actually take charge of the health care system there would be screams of horror by many individuals that actually believe that a Federal Government already does too much.
No matter what you present, there will always Be individual that will be extremely unhappy to be told what to do.
Unfortunately for them, I guess they lack the understanding that no Government can actually govern without its citizens understanding that thee will always be ruled that they   have to obey.

Like the Commonwealth Fund's graph which I posted earlier shows with # 1 being the best and # 11 the worse - the Australian system get a rating as #2 in Overall Rating, #1 in Healthcare Outcomes,

BUT IT RANKS # 7 IN EQUALITY, with Canada ranking # 9 and France # 10

So True . . . . you cannot please ALL the people ALL the time - somebody is always low man on the totem pole.

I have come to the conclusion that one of the worse problem we have is that MANY people do not understand our / their health care system coverage - no matter what that might be.  Whether it is just too complicated of a system (or their system - whatever that might be) or they do not think it is worth studying and understanding or whether they just THINK it is suppose to be the way they THINK it is and there is no overcoming this.

I just spent hours today explaining the Medicare system to a new group of 65 year olds and a smathering of people who have been on SSDI for 24 months and are ready to go on Medicare.

My brain is fried !!!!!  Maybe as time goes on, these groups will get better at researching the system for themselves, for their benefit - Ya think????

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

I’ve always liked Australia’s system, although I haven’t examined it in much depth recently. Will look at it again...

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

@GailL1 wrote:

As you can see from this Commonwealth Fund Analysis - they rank #2 in their overall rating and #1 in Healthcare Outcomes.

The Australian public system covers everybody with listed basic coverage but private health insurance is also purchased by many to supplement the public coverage.

VOX:   04/15/2019 - Sarah Kliff - What Australia can teach America about health care

Commonwealth Fund - International Healthcare System Profile - The AUSTRALIA Healthcare System

NCBI.gov - National Library of Medicine / National Institute of Health - April 2018 - A review of th...

Good Idea ??? 

Very good idea, but I'd install a low ($10 to $20?) copay for each visit. Canada tried it without the copay, and people overwhelmed the system with problems that were not worth $20, let alone the actual cost of a Dr.s appointment.

Thing is, were 11th out of 11 countries in everything except Admin costs (where we're 10th) and Care {Process-whatever that is), so whatever we do will be an improvement. However, PPACA, the only thing we've tried since Medicare, is still being fought tooth and nail by Republicans who like to please the Corporate providers and Big Pharma to the detriment of John and Jane Q Public. So getting rid of the obsticles to effective legislation is Job One to improving our health care.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

Great Gail and how do you deal with the divisions and the ethnocentrism that exist in the American culture.?

no matter what you show, no matter what you think Americans want, you will never be able to see a model that will suit all.

If the government would actually take charge of the health care system there would be screams of horror by many individuals that actually believe that a Federal Government already does too much.
No matter what you present, there will always Be individual that will be extremely unhappy to be told what to do.
Unfortunately for them, I guess they lack the understanding that no Government can actually govern without its citizens understanding that thee will always be ruled that they   have to obey.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

Very good idea. That is the system they have in British Columbia, Canada. I can't speak for the rest of the provinces.  For example, the basic government coverage will put you in a hospital bed with 3 other patients in a ward setting. If you want a private room you can pay for it when admitted or you (or your employer) an purchase an upgraded policy. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Perhaps We Should Look to The AUSTRALIAN System of Health Care Coverage

Message 9 of 9

Good Idea ??? 

Kudos
Views
Replies