Staying Sharp empowers you to take control of your brain health as you age. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Percent of the total amount of individual income tax is paid by the wealthest Americans?

Message 51 of 72

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Sales tax is to the state and NOT to the Federal government so what does sales tax have to do with the amount of income tax the 16% are already paying?  Carrying 80% of the load seems excessive right now and those seeking more handouts and programs better learn to do with less or not at all.

If a group of people in America earns 90% of the total income in America, should that group of people pay 90% of the total taxes collected?  If not ......... why not?

In the liberal mind, one would discourage "getting ahead to make more income" because the net result IS getting punished by the federal government.  I get it - those that aren't doing so well are extremely jealous of those who are, and want a very large piece of other people's cake.

I call it theft.

I don't understand this mentality.  Who purposefully gives up a larger salary because they don't want to get taxed more?  The taxes are marginal.  If I'm making $190,000 now, am I going to forgo a raise to $200,000 because that last $10,000 will be taxed 5% more?   I gain $10,000 in income but get taxed $500 more.   Give me the raise any day.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Percent of the total amount of individual income tax is paid by the wealthest Americans?

Message 52 of 72
pc posted..

And there should be no excuses as to why tax schedules are slanted in favor of the rich.

======================================================

Not posted..

The top 16% of the earners already pay 80% of all income taxes, yet some of the radical leftists think that group should be burdened with more taxes while they go scott free and even worse, they have lots of plans how to spend other people's money! Those making over $100K are hardly part of that hated 1% yet those people are paying 80% of the taxes!

"tax schedules are slanted in favor of the rich"

They are? Really?
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 72
sp posted..

It has to do with the amount of your income going to pay all of the required taxes. Items like state income tax and property tax are deductible, if you make enough. Since the poorer you are, the more of your income you have to spend just to live, the higher percentage of your income you are paying in the "hidden" taxes than the people who make more

====================================================

Yes that the way it is..so? What would you change?

I think our tax system is not that bad but it does discourage people from getting ahead.

Its also the people with big homes pay higher real estate taxes

Poor people do not pay state income taxes.

My state does not have a sales tax.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 72

Sp365- Warren Buffett is a billionaire, and he made it very public in the last year or so that his secretary paid a higher percentage of income tax than he did, and let us all know how very unfair it is. More than once he emphasized the inequality is in THE PERCENTAGE!

Thanks for trying to explain this and to explain sales tax is not only a state thing, it varies from county to county within the same state.

When the rich are paying far less percentage wise than people who make far less, the feeling one should feel is outrage.  Lower  class and middle-class people are paying a higher percentage of their wages then millionaires and billionaires,  everyone should pull his or her weight,  and there should be no exception. And there should be no excuses as to why tax schedules are slanted in favor of the rich.

As you know, Trump's proposed new tax "reform" puts even more burden on the lower and middle class. This has nothing to do with  handouts. I know you didn't mention "handouts," but it is startling that the same people who feel this way, don't realize medicare is an entitlement, or in their language, a handout.

thanks again!!

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 72

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Sales tax is to the state and NOT to the Federal government so what does sales tax have to do with the amount of income tax the 16% are already paying?  Carrying 80% of the load seems excessive right now and those seeking more handouts and programs better learn to do with less or not at all.

If a group of people in America earns 90% of the total income in America, should that group of people pay 90% of the total taxes collected?  If not ......... why not?

In the liberal mind, one would discourage "getting ahead to make more income" because the net result IS getting punished by the federal government.  I get it - those that aren't doing so well are extremely jealous of those who are, and want a very large piece of other people's cake.

I call it theft.

I call it the cost of living in a civilized country.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 72

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

The top 16% of the earners already pay 80% of all income taxes, yet some of the radical leftists think that group should be burdened with more taxes while they go scott free and even worse, they have lots of plans how to spend other people's money!  Those making over $100K are hardly part of that hated 1% yet those people are paying 80% of the taxes!

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/04/13/high-income-americans-pay-most-income-taxes-but-enou...

Wealthy pay more in taxes than poor

The important number for comparison (as has already been pointed out) would be the % of the income earned by top 16%.  The only data I could find (also from Pew) was from 2012 and showed that the top 10% earned 50.5% of all pre-tax income.  This is ALL income and if you believe that because of sales taxes, etc, that some income should be earned before it is taxable, then that would increase the 50.5% figure.  So, the question that needs to be answered is what percentage of total pre-tax income do the top 16% earn.

It has to do with the amount of your income going to pay all of the required taxes.  Items like state income tax and property tax are deductible, if you make enough.  Since the poorer you are, the more of your income you have to spend just to live, the higher percentage of your income you are paying in the "hidden" taxes than the people who make more.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 72

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

I call it theft.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 72

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 72

@KidBoy2 wrote:
sp posted..

I bet the taxpayers making under 100k earn around 70% of all wages paid ...if anyone can list that number I would love to see it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to Pew Research January 2014 report (it looks like the data was from 2012) those earning below $114,000 earned 49.6% of the annual income.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/01/07/5-facts-about-economic-inequality/

==============================================

That was income not wages...I was talking about wages.

But wages aren't the only thing classified as income.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 72

@sp362 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

The top 16% of the earners already pay 80% of all income taxes, yet some of the radical leftists think that group should be burdened with more taxes while they go scott free and even worse, they have lots of plans how to spend other people's money!  Those making over $100K are hardly part of that hated 1% yet those people are paying 80% of the taxes!

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/04/13/high-income-americans-pay-most-income-taxes-but-enou...

Wealthy pay more in taxes than poor

The important number for comparison (as has already been pointed out) would be the % of the income earned by top 16%.  The only data I could find (also from Pew) was from 2012 and showed that the top 10% earned 50.5% of all pre-tax income.  This is ALL income and if you believe that because of sales taxes, etc, that some income should be earned before it is taxable, then that would increase the 50.5% figure.  So, the question that needs to be answered is what percentage of total pre-tax income do the top 16% earn.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors