Have questions about your Social Security benefits? The AARP Social Security Resource Center can help.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Pelosi inches toward leadership

Message 1 of 11

@Richva wrote:

@Tom5678 wrote:
This is true Rich. Again, not that I don't like her, as I said, I do. Just think change would be good and give the GOP LOTS to think about going into 2020.

Change is good but, as someone pointed out in this scuffle, you can't beat somebody with nobody. I would also like to point out that Pesoli seems to be winning despite a fair amount of organized opposition.  The lady knows how to make deals.  The country will need that with a Republican Senate. 

Knows How To Make Deals?

Again using Tax Payers Money to Pay Off Political Opposition Within Your Own Party Is Not The Kind Of Deal Making Politicians Should Get Credit for

As A reminder - Pelosi has been in the House since 1987 - 31 Years

One would think that if Pelosi is such a Professional Political Magician - a 31 year career would have produced some Magnificent Extraordinary Noteworthy Achievements & Marvelous Accomplishments

Reasonable People would be able to Name Off The Top of Their Head At least one of The Major Accomplishments of someone who is considered a GOAT a Extraordinary Person the Best of All time or even the best currently available - whether it be Athlete - Academic or Politician

It would also be reasonable to assume the Majority of her Major Accomplishments would have taken place recently when she had the most experience & had the most Political Capital and was owed the most favors

She was Speaker of the House from 2007 - 2011......that it!

So one would think this Powerful Clever Dealmaker would have shown her Deal Making Ability in the 7 years since - when she wasn't the Bully with the Power

How does one get to be known as a Deal Maker by only making deals within your own family using borrowed money and when you're the Boss with all the power to collect and hand out favors

Trust Me - Pelosi is a Carnival Barker with a Famous Name just like Trump

But like Trump her Accomplishments for the America People - for the Country are not the Accomplishemnts of any Legendary Leader

She is a Household Name but I defy anyone without the assistance of Google to name one significant lasting contribution she has made to the Country - You Can't

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11

@Tom5678 wrote:
This is true Rich. Again, not that I don't like her, as I said, I do. Just think change would be good and give the GOP LOTS to think about going into 2020.

Change is good but, as someone pointed out in this scuffle, you can't beat somebody with nobody. I would also like to point out that Pesoli seems to be winning despite a fair amount of organized opposition.  The lady knows how to make deals.  The country will need that with a Republican Senate. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

If you don't like Pelosi as Speaker, there is an easy solution: elect more Democrats.  More Democrats means a larger pool of qualified candidates  who will be happy to push back against Pelosi as leader. 

So Republicans, if you want to stop Pelosi as Speaker ever again, vote Democratic. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

One thing that stood out is the millennial vote looking forward to 2020. They aren't that impressed with Pelosi. They could be a large chunk of the vote in 2020. Will be paramount for the Dems. to try to find someone more appealing to them I think. I will not attack Pelosi because I think she has done some good, just in the camp for something newer and younger.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

@gruffstuff wrote:

we need citizen legislators close enough to reality on the streets of America to make the necessary changes

We just elected  36 to office.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/11/21/millennials-gen-x-increase-their-ranks-in-the-house-...

After the holidays lets get to work on 2020

Pelosi will convince them she deserves leadership, or she won't, and Democrats will get a new leader, if not in this Congress then the next one.

Pelosi Doesn't Convince People - She Hammers Them Into Submission Because She Has a Bag Full of IOU's from the all of her Previous Sales of Political Pork......................Pelosi is not a Deal Maker unless it furthers the Poltical Careers of herself and her Caucus Members 

Again we dont need a Permanent Class of Political Elites - warring with each other to see who's got the biggest Egos & most Wins - it's a waste of Tax Payers time & money & it's one reason nothing ever gets done for the American People - we need citizen legislators close enough to reality on the streets of America to make the necessary changes

Again, Pelosi Ran Than Ship When it Went Aground & gave Republicans Control of the House

Pelosi backed the Candidacy of Clinton - develped & supported the Political Campaign Strategy that got us Trump

Few of the New Incoming Freshman Representatives Wanted Anything to do with Pelosi while they were running their own Winning Campaigns - in fact a Majority of them Ran Away from Pelosi going so far as to make Promises & Pledges in Writing to their Constituents to get rid of Pelosi as Leader

Now they are making Deals With The Devil - deals that might cost Democrats another Presidential Election but might give them a Cushy Position in the New Congress

Thats not what Elected Officials are supposed to be doing - they are supposed to be going to Washington doing the Business of the American People & then going home & getting a Real Job and working for a Living after serving....................

I've posted several times on this Fourm the number of Hours - Elected Officials spend making Deals for themselves & campaigning to keep their Political Careers going vs the time they spend working on Governing - the Ratio is about 100 to 1

That's why there is

No Immigration Reform

No Gun Control

No Budget Responsibility

No Infrastructure Spending

No Permanent Healthcare Program

No Increase in Wages

No Permanent Protection of Social Security & Medicare

Record Deficits

Record Debt

No Reigning In Of the Executive Branch

Elected Officials in Washington spend all their time trying to Remain in the Permanent Political Class of Elites so they don't have to go home and get a real job and deal with the same problems the rest of us are faced with everyday because Washington Doesn't Govern they RULE Over Their Own Poltical Careers

The Majority of You folks are never going to learn - either you're not aware of the Political Reality or all you care about is winning a few games or battles & care nothing about the Future of the Country

You cannot simply keep blaming the other side for the failures of your own side & say what a good hopeful supportive wishful person I am.....................

This is surely not Rocket Science - it's the most basic of Concepts - just like watching a Dog Trying to Catch it's Own Tail - it might be entertaining for awhile - but it serves no purpose

Thats the US Government - it miraculously Runs - Day to Day - In Spite of Itself not because of the people who are suppposed to be Governing but instead are Perpetually Campaigning................but like all Good Things will not last forever - cannot sustain itself like this forever

Pelosi Represents the same ole same ole - when the Bills come Due and they Will - Pelosi will be dead along with the rest of us and our Children will be paying the Price

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

I saw this read it and couldn't agree more. I like Pelosi yes, but I too feel it is time for new Dem. leadership. I think this is a big issue not only for Dems. but for the GOP. McConnell too must be 80 or just over it. I think she would go out on a high note, but with 2020 looming I think it would be a smart move for the Dems. to elect a new leader for what it's worth. I say this as a Progressive Independent, was first a Republican when very young, then a Dem., now an Indy.

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/commentary/2018/11/21/dana-milbank-nancy-pelosi/

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

I missed this news:  Fudge backs Pelosi for Speaker.    Pelosi gave Fudge a position that she really wanted:  Leadership of Election Subcommittee.     That, is how the Dems work together to give those who are spectacularly qualified the positions for which they are best suited.

The complaint re:  keep the power - while many new DEMS are headed to Congress, it remains to be seen how well they learn and "play well with others".    A singular person with essentially no power except their singular vote can impact the Country - but only if they are willing to work with others.   The best example:   BETO worked with GOP to forward legislation that revised the bs. regarding less than honorable discharge for veterans that had PTSD.    Many of them were booted out of the military without any benefits and no way to obtain treatment for a military induced disease.   To do that, he asked to be assigned to a caucus that has little to no prestige.   So it is a wait and see what the new members will do to prove their competency and will to work for the good of middle and lower income people.

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

we need citizen legislators close enough to reality on the streets of America to make the necessary changes

We just elected  36 to office.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/11/21/millennials-gen-x-increase-their-ranks-in-the-house-...

After the holidays lets get to work on 2020

Pelosi will convince them she deserves leadership, or she won't, and Democrats will get a new leader, if not in this Congress then the next one.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

@Richva wrote:

Pelosi is inching toward the Speaker-ship. It is good to see what a REAL deal maker can do.  Odds against her, people calling for her head and she just works the crowd until she gets what she wants. I am glad to have such a person working for America. 

I bet she does not Tweet once. 

The strategy worked: On Wednesday, Higgins pulled his name off the anti-Pelosi letter and threw his support behind the 78-year-old leader — moving her closer to reclaiming the gavel she first won more than a decade ago.

Pelosi’s relentless honey-over-vinegar approach to dealing with political headaches — which she learned at the foot of her father, former Baltimore mayor Thomas D’Alesandro Jr. — has been critical to sustaining her grip on power since Democrats won the House majority this month.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/with-honey-instead-of-vinegar-pelosi-steadily-inches-toward...

What a touching tribute to sustaining a Permanent Political Class...........

Voters put the Democrats back in charge in the House not Pelosi & for several reasons - of least importance was maintaining the Careers of Political Elites

The defeat of Crowley in New York & Capuano in Massachusetts are just 2 examples

Both were Pelosi Sycophants - both were 20+  year Incumbents

If Voters wanted the same old Democratic Leadership - the same old Election Cycle promises left unfulfilled - they would have left these 2 Pelosi Lieutenants in office

What difference is it going to make if we simply change the names of the Gate keepers & instead of Trey Gowdy conducting Political Witch Hunts on Clinton we have Nadler going after Republicans

Who wins those battles does absolutely nothing to improve the lives of Americans

Again we dont need a Permanent Class of Political Elites - warring with each other to see who's got the biggest Egos or most Wins - it's a waste of time & money & it's one reason nothing ever gets done for the American People - we need citizen legislators close enough to reality on the streets of America to make the necessary changes

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views