Conversationalist

Parents sue Louisiana school district after 9-year-old suspended over BB gun in zoom lesson

The parents of a Louisiana fourth-grader suspended for six days after his teacher spotted a BB gun in his bedroom during a virtual lesson have sued the school district for more than $50,000.

The school board, from the moment this incident occurred, mishandled it every step of the way,” family attorney, Chelsea Cusimano, told WDSU on Monday.

With the threat of coronavirus still looming over schools, Ka Mauri Harrison’s parents opted to have their son attend class by way of Zoom rather than have him return for in-person learning. The nine-year-old was taking a test the afternoon of Sept. 11 in his bedroom, where his younger brother also happened to be playing at the time.

“My brother walked in the room and tripped over the BB gun and I put it on the side of me,” he told WDSU at the time.

Ka Mauri did not think much of the interruption after he set aside the toy, but his teacher, on the other hand, believed the BB gun “appeared to be a full-size rifle.” The Woodmere Elementary School teacher then reportedly tried to get her student’s attention but couldn’t as he had muted his computer for the test.

During a September 22 hearing, the school board found Ka Mauri “guilty of displaying a facsimile weapon while receiving virtual instruction from Woodmere Elementary School,” according to the lawsuit, filed Friday.

The family is suing for at least $50,000 for “mental pain, suffering, anguish and embarrassment, humiliation and loss of self-esteem, future counseling and tutoring and lost income."

When asked for comment on Monday, Jefferson Parish cited the same statement to CNN on Monday as the one released last month.

“We do not comment on individual student records," it reads. “Regarding discipline, it is our policy that teachers and administrators may employ reasonable disciplinary and corrective measures to maintain order.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/parents-sue-louisiana-school-district-after-9-year-old-suspended-o...

Family attorney Chelsea Cusimano said earlier that school officials went too far — applying its on-campus weapons policy without considering the privacy of the child and his family.

During Ka’Mauri’s school district hearing on the matter, his father Nyron Harrison said, “it is very important to the family that this be dismissed, that it does not follow him in his educational career … the school did not follow his due process rights,” according to the lawsuit.

Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry announced last month his office was looking into the handling of the incident in connection with the investigation, they have become aware that “several other students are experiencing the same treatment by this and other school systems,” and believes that the student’s constitutional rights allow for an appeal, according to a letter his office sent to the school system on September 29.

https://www.channel3000.com/parents-sue-louisiana-school-district-after-4th-grader-suspended-for-bb-...

This is crazy, and just another example of how far the educational system has degraded under the control of the NEA. Some so called "History" textbooks being used in schools now are not just providing the facts, they are written providing the "interpretation" the author provides related to the facts. And there might be 20 different textbooks used in a state, all providing different "interpretations". 

But suspending a student over an item in his own home?  Outrageous, and a direct violation of the privacy of the student and his family. 

The school's policy is:

Ka’Mauri was subsequently suspended and recommended for expulsion for what the school system said was a violation of its policy forbidding weapons at school or school functions.   

I'm so glad I don't have children in school today, and I'm sorry for those that do. The indoctrination must come to an end, along with the main culprit -   the NEA 

Silver Conversationalist

In the United States and Canada, zero-tolerance policies have been adopted in various schools and other education venues. Zero-tolerance policies in the United States became widespread in 1994, after federal legislation required states to expel for one year any student who brought a firearm to school, or lose all federal funding.[1]

Wiki

There are many, many problems with zero tolerance policies but those policies are federally mandated by elected officials. The NEA has a different position on school discipline and is not in favor of these policies as are currently in effect.

POLICY STATEMENT ON DISCIPLINE AND THE SCHOOL-TO-PRISON PIPELINE

https://ra.nea.org/delegate-resources/policy-statement-on-discipline/

SURVEY OF KEY EDUCATION STAKEHOLDERS ON ZERO TOLERANCE
STUDENT DISCIPLINE POLICIES

https://edlawcenter.org/assets/files/pdfs/publications/Survey_ZeroTolerance.pdf

Gee, I wish I had someone do all my research for me before posting an opinion. The problem isn't the NEA advocates zero tolerence, the problem appears to be students aren't taught to differentiate between fact and opinion.

Nobody knew health care could be so complicated.
Donald Trump
Conversationalist

@Loulit wrote:

In the United States and Canada, zero-tolerance policies have been adopted in various schools and other education venues. Zero-tolerance policies in the United States became widespread in 1994, after federal legislation required states to expel for one year any student who brought a firearm to school, or lose all federal funding.[1]

Wiki

In 1994, Congress introduced the Gun-Free Schools Act of 1994, which encouraged each state receiving federal funds for education to follow suit and introduce their own laws, now known as zero tolerance laws.[2] President Bill Clinton signed the Gun-Free Schools Act of 1994 into law on March 31, 1994.[1] The Gun-Free Schools Act of 1994 requires each state receiving federal funds to have a state law in effect requiring local educational agencies to expel, for at least one year, any student who is determined to have brought a weapon to school. 

Of course it would be an anti-gun president who enacted this.....  

And - he did not bring a weapon to school - he was not on school property:

“My brother walked in the room and tripped over the BB gun and I put it on the side of me,” he told WDSU at the time.

Ka Mauri did not think much of the interruption after he set aside the toy, but his teacher, on the other hand, believed the BB gun “appeared to be a full-size rifle.” 

So what? The teacher does not have the authority to police what goes on in a private residence. On school grounds is one thing, remote teaching is quite another. 

There are many, many problems with zero tolerance policies but those policies are federally mandated by elected officials. The NEA has a different position on school discipline and is not in favor of these policies as are currently in effect.

POLICY STATEMENT ON DISCIPLINE AND THE SCHOOL-TO-PRISON PIPELINE

https://ra.nea.org/delegate-resources/policy-statement-on-discipline/

SURVEY OF KEY EDUCATION STAKEHOLDERS ON ZERO TOLERANCE
STUDENT DISCIPLINE POLICIES

https://edlawcenter.org/assets/files/pdfs/publications/Survey_ZeroTolerance.pdf

Gee, I wish I had someone do all my research for me before posting an opinion. The problem isn't the NEA advocates zero tolerence, the problem appears to be students aren't taught to differentiate between fact and opinion.

As for the purpose of the NEA:

National Education Association - Wikipedia 

The NEA, originally on the conservative side of U.S. politics, by the 1970s emerged as a factor in modern liberalism. While the NEA has a stated position of "non-partisan", it almost exclusively supports the Democratic Party.

When asked why the students under their control fail,
Democrats always respond by claiming, as in the comments
above, that their schools are underfinanced, starved of the
taxpayer money that flows munificently into privileged
white communities. This is their Big Lie. In city after city
under Democrats’ control, more money is spent annually per
student in many cases than the cost of tuition at local colleges.
But despite the tsunami of taxpayer dollars flowing into the
K-12 public school systems that Democrats control, students
remain hopelessly marooned in swamps of incompetence and
educational backwardness. New Jersey’s Camden Central
School District, for example, spends an astronomical $25,000
annually per pupil, yet by any objective measure, it mnis the
scholastic equivalent of a train wreck, with 90% of the
district’s public schools ranked in the bottom 5% statewide.
In big city after big city, public school superintendents and
other administrators presiding over failing schools nonetheless.

earn colossal, six-figure salaries that come with guaranteed
annual pay raises, Cadillac healthcare coverage, and additional
stipends to cover expenses for things like automobiles,
transportation services, computers, I-pads, and other state-ofthe-art, high-tech tools.
The teachers’ unions, a key element of the Democrats’
hegemony in many of these inner cities, feather the nest of their
dues payers by demanding pay hikes, better benefits, additional
paid sick days, less-stringent attendance requirements, and
smaller class sizes, even as the children in their districts
remain unable to read or write at levels that are anywhere
near the norms for their respective age groups. In an 18-year
period during which public school teachers in Chicago had
been appeased after going on strike no fewer than nine times,
an astounding 33 of the city’s 64 public high schools ranked
in the bottom 1% of all high schools across the United States,
prompting the U.S. Secretary of Education William Bennett to
describe Chicago’s school system as the very worst in America.

More to read here - all of it bad. 

https://assets.ctfassets.net/lwlwwghvkufv/7N1Kt117gW66megQG8cOmI/0fc83900a208087dd973a6880a7a1ed7/sh...

Honored Social Butterfly

Sadly the Republican base only believes what it already believes because they heard it so often from Fox. So how bad is Fox about lying to their viewers? A federal judge dismissed a defamation lawsuit that former Playboy model Karen McDougal filed against Fox News last year because:

"reasonable" viewers watch host Tucker Carlson's show "with an appropriate amount of skepticism,"

according to the decision.

Fox is so consistent in LYING the courts now think they can do so with impunity because EVERYBODY EXPECTS THEM TO LIE AND DOES NOT BELIEVE THEM.

The federal judge, Mary Kay Vyskocil, who herself was appointed to the federal bench by Trump nine months ago, dismissed the case, citing Carlson’s First Amendment protections.

The problem for the future of our Nation is the Republican base takes Fox as Gospel, and Republican appointed judges support the continuation of this situation.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

School board may have been unexpectedly severe, but the reaction from the anti-Education GOPers is totally expected by a party that survives by keeping their base as UNeducated as possible.

It allows them, among other things, to be able to present tRump as a successful businessman and China as being responsible for tRump's politically motivated spread of Covid across America, and have their lofo base swallow it without a blink.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png