Reply
Trusted Contributor

Packing the Court

This argument about filling a vacant Supreme Court seat just seems to go round and round and makes little sense.

 

1.  Whether you think it's right or wrong, the President has the Constitutional right to nominate someone to fill a vacant seat.

 

2.  Whether you think it's right or wrong, the Senate has the Constitutional right to confirm or not or to not even consider the Presidents nomination.

 

Those are the rules the Constitution established and they have been followed in every single vacancy in history.  Besides, as someone previously said here, if the Democrats were in power they would do exactly the same thing the Republicans did and are doing.

 

But Democrats always throw a little hissy fit about not getting their way and then throw another one when they do get their way and it backfires on them?  For example, Harry Reid changed the Senate rules to help him get the appointments he wanted.  McConnell did the same thing to get the appointment he wanted and the Democrats have been whining about it ever since.  Packing the Supreme Court will have the same results.  The party in power has always swung back and forth and always will.  If the Democrats gain power and pack the Court it will probably put the Republicans back in power in the next election.  And even if it doesn't sooner or later the Republicans will be back in power.  And you have to be an idiot to not understand what will happen then?  And when it does the Democrats will be whining about it again.

Honored Social Butterfly

There will be no Supreme Court packing.


The Supreme Court is corporate friendly. Just look at 'Citizens United' where they determined that corporations are people.


The big-money corporate interests will not allow the Democrats to put their corporate power at risk inside the Supreme Court. And status-quo Joe won't do it -- "Nothing will fundamentally change."


Not only do corporations have rights, their rights are stronger than yours.

 

citizens united both parties.jpg

 

Honored Social Butterfly

1.  Whether you think it's right or wrong, the President has the Constitutional right to nominate someone to fill a vacant seat.

 

2.  Whether you think it's right or wrong, the Senate has the Constitutional right to confirm or not or to not even consider the Presidents nomination.

 

Those statements  are true.

 

Those are the rules the Constitution established and they have been followed in every single vacancy in history. 

 

That statement is not true, Merrick Garland didn't get a vote in the Senate.

 

I agree with what you said about changing the rules, but the rules have been changed, and changed again by Republicans. On Merrick Garland it was no votes in an election year,  now  votes in an election year are OKAY.

 

The Constitution doesn't specify how justice's the SCOTUS should have, Congress decides that.

 

Will Biden increase the justices on the SCOTUS from 9 to 11,  I doubt it. 

 

Why won't he say that?  Democrats like me want him to, and Biden doesn't want to tell us that right before an election.

 

What Biden did say was he would be a President for all Americans, not just the Democrats, and I think he will.  That will probably mean leaving the SCOTUS as it is, with 9 justices.

 

I predict that the ( packing of the court ) will never happen.  I also predict that if Republicans get their way on family planning and the ACA  there is going to be a lot of blow back in red states at the state level. 

 

 

 

0 Kudos
201 Views
12
Report
Trusted Contributor


@gruffstuff wrote:  That statement is not true, Merrick Garland didn't get a vote in the Senate.

 

@john258 wrote:  No it has not. It was not followed by the Reb. with the Obama Nomination.

 

AGAIN, those are the rules and they have been followed in filling EVERY SINGLE VACANCY IN HISTORY.  You are apparently ignoring or don't understand what the Constitution states that I listed as rule 2:

 

2.  Whether you think it's right or wrong, the Senate has the Constitutional right to confirm or not or to not even consider the President's nomination.


 

Honored Social Butterfly

2.  Whether you think it's right or wrong, the Senate has the Constitutional right to confirm or not or to not even consider the President's nomination.

 

That is correct,   Congress also has the Constitutional  right to determine the number of justices on the SCOTUS.

 

 

Honored Social Butterfly


@EricH3 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:  That statement is not true, Merrick Garland didn't get a vote in the Senate.

 

@john258 wrote:  No it has not. It was not followed by the Reb. with the Obama Nomination.

 

AGAIN, those are the rules and they have been followed in filling EVERY SINGLE VACANCY IN HISTORY.  You are apparently ignoring or don't understand what the Constitution states that I listed as rule 2:

 

2.  Whether you think it's right or wrong, the Senate has the Constitutional right to confirm or not or to not even consider the President's nomination.


 


The Senate did not follow the Constitution when they stole the SC seat under Obama. They vote it up or down. Only in the minds of the far right Trump supporters was it ok. It is like Trump turning the WH into a political farce for the far right. Destroying the USA is what Trump is doing to the USA just as Hitler did to Germany.

Trusted Contributor


@john258 wrote:

@EricH3 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:  That statement is not true, Merrick Garland didn't get a vote in the Senate.

 

@john258 wrote:  No it has not. It was not followed by the Reb. with the Obama Nomination.

 

AGAIN, those are the rules and they have been followed in filling EVERY SINGLE VACANCY IN HISTORY.  You are apparently ignoring or don't understand what the Constitution states that I listed as rule 2:

 

2.  Whether you think it's right or wrong, the Senate has the Constitutional right to confirm or not or to not even consider the President's nomination.


 


The Senate did not follow the Constitution when they stole the SC seat under Obama. They vote it up or down. Only in the minds of the far right Trump supporters was it ok. It is like Trump turning the WH into a political farce for the far right. Destroying the USA is what Trump is doing to the USA just as Hitler did to Germany.


Are you just not capable of understanding the Constitution or the written word.  Here it is again for the third time.

 

ACCORDING TO THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES:

 

2.  Whether you think it's right or wrong, the Senate has the Constitutional right to confirm or not or to not even consider the President's nomination.


AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED IN EVERY SINGLE NOMINATION IS HISTORY

Honored Social Butterfly

 

2.  Whether you think it's right or wrong, the Senate has the Constitutional right to confirm or not or to not even consider the President's nomination.

 

 

Congress has the right, but is it right? 

 

In this case I'm talking about Merrick Garland 

 

Same thing with what people are calling court packing.

 

Congress has the right, but is it right?

 

It depends on the circumstances of past and future events.

 

Personally at this time  I don't think Biden or Congress will increase the number of justices on the SCOTUS.

 

That may change if a lot of extremely unpopular rulings come out of the court,  then political pressure may be to make changes.  

0 Kudos
153 Views
1
Report
Trusted Contributor


@gruffstuff wrote:

 

Congress has the right, but is it right? 

 

For any partisan issue, one side will say it's right and the other side will say it's wrong.  That's why civilized societies have laws and a way to change a law that is wrong or out of date.  And according to the Constitution, our law:

 

...the Senate has the Constitutional right to confirm or not or to not even consider the President's nomination.

Honored Social Butterfly


@EricH3 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@EricH3 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:  That statement is not true, Merrick Garland didn't get a vote in the Senate.

 

@john258 wrote:  No it has not. It was not followed by the Reb. with the Obama Nomination.

 

AGAIN, those are the rules and they have been followed in filling EVERY SINGLE VACANCY IN HISTORY.  You are apparently ignoring or don't understand what the Constitution states that I listed as rule 2:

 

2.  Whether you think it's right or wrong, the Senate has the Constitutional right to confirm or not or to not even consider the President's nomination.


 


The Senate did not follow the Constitution when they stole the SC seat under Obama. They vote it up or down. Only in the minds of the far right Trump supporters was it ok. It is like Trump turning the WH into a political farce for the far right. Destroying the USA is what Trump is doing to the USA just as Hitler did to Germany.


Are you just not capable of understanding the Constitution or the written word.  Here it is again for the third time.

 

ACCORDING TO THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES:

 

2.  Whether you think it's right or wrong, the Senate has the Constitutional right to confirm or not or to not even consider the President's nomination.


AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED IN EVERY SINGLE NOMINATION IS HISTORY


Only in the mind of the far right. The Senate has voted up or down and not taken the cowardly way out, but the far right Rep have done nothing but destroy the USA for years now. The sadder thing is the ones who  support them just make excuses for them. This was a big part to the rise of Hitler. Hitler did not do it on his own. His supporters were more responsible than anything for his success in becoming full Dictator and sadly that is true with most Dictators and their supporters

0 Kudos
210 Views
4
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

john258 posted..

Only in the mind of the far right. The Senate has voted up or down and not taken the cowardly way out, but the far right Rep have done nothing but destroy the USA for years now. The sadder thing is the ones who support them just make excuses for them. This was a big part to the rise of Hitler. Hitler did not do it on his own. His supporters were more responsible than anything for his success in becoming full Dictator and sadly that is true with most Dictators and their supporters


----------------------------------------------------

It would behoove you to understand how a supreme court justice is chosen.

EricH3 tried to help you out but it did not stick.

EricH3 posted...ACCORDING TO THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES:



2. Whether you think it's right or wrong, the Senate has the Constitutional right to confirm or not or to not even consider the President's nomination.

AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED IN EVERY SINGLE NOMINATION IS HISTORY

He was spot on!

0 Kudos
233 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@KidBoy2 wrote:
john258 posted..

Only in the mind of the far right. The Senate has voted up or down and not taken the cowardly way out, but the far right Rep have done nothing but destroy the USA for years now. The sadder thing is the ones who support them just make excuses for them. This was a big part to the rise of Hitler. Hitler did not do it on his own. His supporters were more responsible than anything for his success in becoming full Dictator and sadly that is true with most Dictators and their supporters


----------------------------------------------------

It would behoove you to understand how a supreme court justice is chosen.

EricH3 tried to help you out but it did not stick.

EricH3 posted...ACCORDING TO THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES:



2. Whether you think it's right or wrong, the Senate has the Constitutional right to confirm or not or to not even consider the President's nomination.

AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED IN EVERY SINGLE NOMINATION IS HISTORY

He was spot on!


You do that with an up or down vote and that is exactly what did not happen in this case and that is why it is different from every other nomination. He was spot off, as you are.

0 Kudos
170 Views
0
Report
Trusted Contributor


@john258 wrote:

 

Only in the mind of the far right. The Senate has voted up or down and not taken the cowardly way out, but the far right Rep have done nothing but destroy the USA for years now. The sadder thing is the ones who  support them just make excuses for them. This was a big part to the rise of Hitler. Hitler did not do it on his own. His supporters were more responsible than anything for his success in becoming full Dictator and sadly that is true with most Dictators and their supporters

Perfect.  I stated a simple FACT and it's called wrong a number of times and then the reply is, "Only in the mind of the far right" and a rant about dictators and Hitler.  So who said there was something erroneous about the thread titled:

"LIBERALS ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP"

Honored Social Butterfly

john258:  Only in the mind of the far right. The Senate has voted up or down and not taken the cowardly way out, but the far right Rep have done nothing but destroy the USA for years now.

 

 

You have to take in consideration where these people get their opinions about the news. All they ever get is what Fox chooses to tell them or opinions from wackadoodle websites like Breitbart, Daily Caller, The Federalist, etc. Not exactly the sort of places to use to be well informed of the truth.

0 Kudos
217 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

I guess that my own Republican beliefs comes out once in a while. But  yes, I would pack that court to kingdom come. And provide the other side with the lesson that they cannot ever again acti in the manner that this Senate had decided, their actions have not been decent or moral.

no name
0 Kudos
229 Views
0
Report
Silver Conversationalist

Packing the Court was threatened by FDR when the right-leaning Court struck down several of his New Deal initiatives. After the market crashed in '29 and Hoover said it would self-correct laissez faire, FDR had the support to ask for an amendment. So he basically bullied the Court to do what he wanted.

 

Shame about Hoover, really. He was generally a good guy who saved thousands of Russians from starvation after WWI.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nobody knew health care could be so complicated.
Donald Trump
0
Kudos
299
Views
0 Kudos
217 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Dems should focus on retaking the Senate so they can impeach tRumps nazis on SCOTUS - much easier and more justifiable than adding more justices. Then they can tak a look at the judicial records of the tRump appointees to lower courts and do the same, while pushing to end the fillibuster AND life-time judicial appointments. Both ideas have outlived their usefulness and need to be ended before they end US.

Regular Social Butterfly


@Olderscout66 wrote:

Dems should focus on retaking the Senate so they can impeach tRumps nazis on SCOTUS - much easier and more justifiable than adding more justices. Then they can tak a look at the judicial records of the tRump appointees to lower courts and do the same, while pushing to end the fillibuster AND life-time judicial appointments. Both ideas have outlived their usefulness and need to be ended before they end US.


Dream on.  The Senate requires a two-thirds majority which is more than just "retaking the Senate."

 

You are getting sleepy.
Honored Social Butterfly

Starting to look like the Dems will have the majority. Packed court and no more philibusrer

 

Social Butterfly

The Dems will and should do it. It's legal, and political.

The Republicans who will lose the Senate will be astonished and claim foul, but they only need to look at their own hypocracy in pushing through a Supreme Court candidate two weeks before an election.

Paybacks are tough.

Honored Social Butterfly

@EricH3 

This argument about filling a vacant Supreme Court seat just seems to go round and round and makes little sense.

 

1.  Whether you think it's right or wrong, the President has the Constitutional right to nominate someone to fill a vacant seat. The President has the right to nominate someone to fill a seat.

 

2.  Whether you think it's right or wrong, the Senate has the Constitutional right to confirm or not or to not even consider the Presidents nomination. The Senate has the constitutional right to confirm or consider 

 the President The Semage  has all of those rights.

Those are the rules the Constitution established and they have been followed in every single vacancy in history.  Besides, as someone previously said here, if the Democrats were in power they would do exactly the same thing the Republicans did and are doing. If  the Democrats   would have been seen  doing the same things. They would not be winning the next elections.

 

But Democrats always throw a little hissy fit about not getting their way and then throw another one when they do get their way and it backfires on them?  For example, Harry Reid changed the Senate rules to help him get the appointments he wanted.  McConnell did the same thing to get the appointment he wanted and the Democrats have been whining about it ever since.  Packing the Supreme Court will have the same results.  The party in power has always swung back and forth and always will.  If the Democrats gain power and pack the Court it will probably put the Republicans back in power in the next election.  And even if it doesn't sooner or later the Republicans will be back in power.  And you have to be an idiot to not understand what will happen then?  And when it does the Democrats will be whining about it again. Their hissy fit  is what will   cost     you all the elections. Because not matter what you may say is their right.  there is one thing that you are not saying. And thay is, that decency, even in politics is expected. No matter what, and we all saw that during the Nixon Administration. on how the real Republicans acted when a President is a crook and denigrated our great Republican Party. But I realize that is not your concern because the Trump party will never be the  Republican Party.

no name
0 Kudos
282 Views
5
Report
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png