Prevention is the best medicine when it comes to avoiding surprise medical bills! Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: PRESIDENT ATTACKS VIETNAM ERA VETERAN - AGAIN

Message 21 of 80

@MIseker wrote:

Ol Dad put it in perspective for me. He earned a DFC, his brother 4 bronze stars for going under fire and rescuing 4 men while wounded. I asked if they were heros, he said no.. we did our effing job.

That is the definition of hero we were taught, not just anyone who signs on the dotted line to enlist.  It was those like your Dad and uncle who are true heroes.  They did something for others at the risk of their lives...above and beyond duty it is called in the citations.

You go out there in the normal course of duty, get yourself messed up....that's war, not heroism. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 80

@nctarheel wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

No disgust that so many are talking about something they have no idea about.

And you have critizized me for bringing in my military service, but do you think that anyone can intelligently discuss something they have no conception of?  That is what has been going on here by many.

How would you know what a hero is? 

So, getting back to the subject of the thread....... are you now saying that since Trump had absolutely NO Government Service AND had absolutely NO Military Service; that he cannot "intelligently discuss something he has no conception of?"

That is your argument above and yet you defend TRUMP regarding his comments about John McCain, a man who has served as a Government Employee all his life(Trump has no conception) and a man who served in the Military proudly(again, Trump has no conception).

Your argument sounds hypocritical.

I seldom agree with Tx, but my experience has me agreeing with him and not you (so far). I havent seen him comment on Trump yet.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 80

@nctarheel wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

And who are you to tell me what a military hero is? 

The definition for hero is:  "a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities". 

Now anyone who signs on the dotted line and enlists is called a hero. 

The definition has been cheapened in the interests of  propagandizing unnecessary wars.

Too bad that a man who is a POW for years, disabled and is in pain for the rest of his life, serves his country for the rest of his life, and even runs for President of the United States of America even falls short of your narrow definition of a hero.

Sounds like you harbor a lot of anger.

I have mixed feelings on Mcain. As was pointed out earlier, his Dad may have hd more to do with his combat sucesses than himself..as in being grounded. Yes he was a POW and tortured, but didnt he have a public ceremony at the hanoi hilton putting down the US? Dont get me wrong, I appreciate every combat vets service ( love the soldier hate the war) and ol John has a great story..and publicity. WHAT WE SOULD BE TALKING ABOUT IS TRUMP PUTTING DOWN ANY SERVICE MEMBER IN LIGHT OF HIS COMMENTS ON AVOIDING THE CLAP IN HIS CIVILIAN LIFE, HIS SAYING HIS SCHOOL WAS JUST AS TOUGH AS COMBAT.. that denegrates ALL service members.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 80

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

For you to hold a higher standard than your example to call someone a HERO is unconscionable.

And who are you to tell me what a military hero is?  What heroic action did that guy do for his fellow soldiers?  Purple Hearts are awarded to anyone wounded in combat so that isn't a criteria.  Did he do anything above and beyond the call of duty that he should receive recognition for? 

The definition for hero is:  "a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities".  Now anyone who signs on the dotted line and enlists is called a hero.  The definition has been cheapened in the interests of  propagandizing unnecessary wars.

I agree. it happened post 9/11 when we added firemen and police to the hero line up. I went to the 9/11 ceremony here in mayberry, and there were all the barney fifes of the volunteer FD getting their accolades. This is not to denigrate what they do, but heroic just for driving the firetruck is a bit much. 

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 80

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

I do realize that there are varios degrees in what constitue  a hero. but in my opinion just the act of going and fighting denotes a bravery and something that I will admit that I don't have.

Guess I'm old-fashioned and also base my experience on what I've seen.  The dictionary definition of hero is:  a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

Ol Dad put it in perspective for me. He earned a DFC, his brother 4 bronze stars for going under fire and rescuing 4 men while wounded. I asked if they were heros, he said no.. we did our effing job.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 80

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Clinton played by the rules to avoid serving in a worthless war we were lied into and never pretended otherwise.

There are rules for avoidance?  Clinton used all sorts of means to avoid being drafted, even enrolling in ROTC.  But then his draft number came up high so he just dropped everything.  Trump had a letter from his doctor for a medical exemption.  So how are we to know if it was true or not.

Would the difference here between Clinton and Trump be partisan?  I think so.  No doubt .. Clinton = Democrat = good.   Trump = Republican = no good.   Pure political thinking.

Strange, I'm the one here who is supposed to be against someone using all sorts of methods to avoid Vietnam, but it is others.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 80

Donald's knowledge of the military, he learned early - when his family assisted him with deferrals for college and then a physician that would 'document" his self healing medical malady exemption.   

Since then - nada.

Donald attacked CT. Senator for a single word, for which the Senator appologized.    But Donald is a take no prisonner kind of guy, he relishes the opportunity to attempt to diminish people, as he did all his GOP opponents as well as Hilary.    

That is another opportunity to evaluate his psyche - he is a bully and will attack when he believes he has the power to do so, relevance is not required.    That is his DISTRACTION from the reality that is Admin....SUCKS.    I even wrote a thread to support my words.     

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 80

Clinton played by the rules to avoid serving in a worthless war we were lied into and never pretended otherwise.

jrbush cheated, went AWOL, and had his daddy's connections hide the facts. Then he puts on a flight suit and pretends he's Captain Kirk.

Der Trumper cheated and now denies it. Lemontop's choice of degrading McCain's sacrifice as a combat vet degrades ALL wounded Warriors. That, and the notion that since McCain didn't DIE, somehow being crippled by torture is insignificant compared to the great sacrifices lil' Donny made by avoiding VD among the disease ridden Jet Set, tell the truth about RWer's view of those who served.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 80

IMHO , you don't have to be a Veteran to know when someone is disrespecting one and President Trump has on several occasions !

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 80

@nctarheel wrote:

Seems like you are evading giving an answer while still questioning my authenticity.

You have claimed military service yet you keep evading qualifying it.  I have done so with mine.  Yet you accuse me?  Of course...like any question to give credence to yourself. 

Can't quit can you? 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors