Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 1 of 7

For the Scottish town of Dunblane, one deadly shooting massacre was enough.
After 16 children and a teacher were murdered in 1996, Britain outlawed hand-gun ownership. After years of watching deadly shootings in the U.S. with little change in American attitudes toward gun control, some in Dunblane feel inspired by students in Parkland, Florida. Special correspondent Malcolm Brabant reports.

Video of Florida student Emma Gonzalez: "If the president wants to come up to me and tell me to my face that it was a terrible tragedy and how it should never have happened, and maintain telling us how nothing is going to be done about it, I’m going to happily ask him how much money he received from the National Rifle Association."

(CHEERING AND APPLAUSE)

Nora Gilfillan of Scotland: "That young person that I heard speak was the most honest, articulate speech I have heard. And I felt really — I feel there’s a chance that America, if they hold on to what she said, and people get behind her, at last they can change the corruption from the NRA and the government.
The rest of the world is looking at America and thinking why? Why are you allowing Americans to shoot Americans? It doesn’t make sense."

Mick North, whose daughter Sophie was killed in Scotland's mass shooting: "At the moment, they are plainly insane. Anything that is a gun has the support of the NRA for being available to any citizen of the USA. I mean, that is ridiculous.

You have kids, teenagers being able to buy military-style weapons and use them with the devastating effect that we saw last week.
Keep on talking. Keep on using whatever means you have to publicize your feelings on this, social media. I hear marches, even walkouts from school. Make sure it stays in everybody’s mind.
Tell people how it’s affected you. Don’t let the powers that be divide and rule. Make sure that the average American citizen knows exactly how this impacts on the average American kid."

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/scottish-town-devastated-by-gun-violence-has-advice-for-america-sa...

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

US Mass Shootings, 1982-2018

Mass shootings by veterans (List at Link)

Here are the shootings by veterans on this list: Texas First Baptist Church massacre, Florida awning manufacturer shooting, Fort Lauderdale airport shooting, Baton Rouge police shooting, Dallas police shooting, Umpqua Community College shooting, Trestle Trail bridge shooting, Fort Hood shooting 2, Washington Navy Yard shooting, Sikh temple shooting, Seal Beach shooting, Fort Hood massacre, Carthage nursing home shooting, Northern Illinois University shooting, Damageplan show shooting, Wakefield massacre, Caltrans maintenance yard shooting, Fort Lauderdale revenge shooting, Air Force base shooting, Luigi’s shooting, Watkins Glen killings, Royal Oak postal shootings, Luby’s massacre, ESL shooting, United States Postal Service shooting, San Ysidro McDonald’s massacre, Welding shop shooting, Xerox killings.

Here are the shootings on the list that have not been determined were by veterans:

Walmart shooting in suburban Denver, Edgewood business park shooting, San Francisco UPS shooting, Pennsylvania supermarket shooting, Rural Ohio nursing home shooting, Fresno downtown shooting, Excel Industries mass shooting, Kalamazoo shooting spree, Planned Parenthood clinic, Colorado Springs shooting rampage, Charleston Church Shooting, Isla Vista mass murder, Hialeah apartment shooting, Santa Monica rampage, Pinewood Village Apartment shooting, Sandy Hook Elementary massacre, Accent Signage Systems shooting, Aurora theater shooting, Seattle cafe shooting, Oikos University killings, Su Jung Health Sauna shooting, IHOP shooting, Hartford Beer Distributor shooting, Coffee shop police killings, Atlantis Plastics shooting, Kirkwood City Council shooting, Crandon shooting, Virginia Tech massacre, Amish school shooting, Capitol Hill massacre, Living Church of God shooting, Lockheed Martin shooting, Hotel shooting, Wedgwood Baptist Church shooting, Atlanta day trading spree killings, Connecticut Lottery shooting, R.E. Phelon Company shooting, Walter Rossler Company massacre, Chuck E. Cheese’s killings, Long Island Rail Road massacre, 101 California Street shootings, Lindhurst High School shooting, University of Iowa shooting, GMAC massacre, Standard Gravure shooting, Stockton schoolyard shooting, Shopping centers spree killings, Orlando nightclub massacre, Binghamton shootings, Trolley Square shooting, Dallas nightclub shooting, Tucson shooting, Westroads Mall shooting, Cascade Mall shooting.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data/

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

@Olderscout66

Many good points. And something that you point out, over the last year I have seen nothing from repubs that even comes close to being a good solution. But we are seeing racist, bigoted, and selfish repub solutions, which are mired in money, hatred or cowardice. 

Hardly the party of the people!

tax returns donnie? 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

The NRAGOP have been pushing to put guns in our schools "to increase safety" for decades, Der Trumper is just the latest idiot to mouth this absurdity.

Perhaps Der Trumper thinks the fact students and vets often suffer from PTSD, thanks to the NRAGOP for subjecting both groups to unprecedented levels of gun violence, the Vets will bond more easily with students than police do.

Here's the reality: Shooting a person is NOT shooting a target -that's why the military trains with "Dimery Dummies" which give a realistic 3-D target and cost from about $25 for a head to $250 for full body.

Even with extensive training, the "good guy" is going to KNOW there's a bunch of kids around and will be likely to hesitate if they actually find the shooter, something the shooter will NOT do.

But of course the NRAGOP are not talking about putting highly trained good guys in the schools - they think we should allow STUDENTS AND TEACHERS to concealed carry in school "for safety".

When someone tells you they will do something monumentially stupid if you elect them, and you elect them anyway, expect monumentially stupid laws that exaserbate rather than solve our problems. First we got wealth transfer to the very top of the 1% to solve our economic woes, now its more guns in schools to reduce shooting guns in schools.

NEVER VOTE FOR A REPUBLICAN - then in 2019 we can have sane gun laws and fewer dead students. Or vote NRAGOP and get more dead students and surviving students with PTSD.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

@alferdpacker

@nctarheel

Sure seems that trump will use certain weaknesses in people to exploit and make himself look good...but for him that is a weakness and not a strength. Just like trump and gang wants to take us back to 1950s white america, it seems that the nra wants to take us back to the wild wild west days. Everyone is armed and if you think that someone has done you wrong or don’t like them, just shoot them! Me thinks that we have worked hard to move away from those days. But instead of progress, trump and the nra want us to regress. 

Speaking of regression, has the nra taken a stance on clean, clean coal!

donnie, the financials 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

The armed police officer at the Marjory Stoneman school was a veteran - armed - and a trained law enforcement officer.   

His presence made absolutely no difference in the outcome and did not save a single life.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

POST ARMED VETERANS TO PROTECT SCHOOLS IS A BAD IDEA

Message 7 of 7

One thing that our DUNCE  of a PRESIDENT can never be accused of is intelligence.

Here he is, suggesting that VETERANS be given HIGH POWERED MILITARY WEAPONS and allowed to guard our schools.

Ever heard of letting the FOX guard the HEN HOUSE???

About 13% of the U.S. population has served in the military; yet, over 33% of mass murders, be it by weapons of mass destruction or arms, has been perpetrated by VETERANS.

From the 168 dead in the bombing in Oklahoma City to the 17 dead by sniper fire in Washington D.C. killed by:

VETERANS!!!

From the 17 dead shot from a clock tower to the 13 dead killed at Fort Hood killed by:

VETERANS!!!

From the 23 dead at Luby's Cafeteria to the 21 dead at a McDonalds killed by:

VETERANS!!!

Yes, VETERANS with high powered armament would be the last people I would allow into a school to protect my children.

History dictates that.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit

Top Authors