From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: POPULIST

Message 1 of 2

@saworld wrote:
  • populist:  a member or adherent of a political party seeking to represent the interests of ordinary people.

Believing Trump is a populist is one of the best examples of our dystopia's  1984-type of doublethink IMO.  Regardless of his and his administration's actions to the contrary (e.g., most tax cuts to the wealthy), the word populism is constantly used in the news media to describe his politics.  I don't get it.  Can anyone explain why? 

I mean, FDR was a populist who really tried to help ordinary Americans.  Trump's actions are the opposite.  They're typical of any GOP politian's: catering to the already wealthy & powerful.  Only Trump's racism is an added feature & that's not directly connected to populism.

We haven't seen the final income tax plan so you just don't really know if the most of tax cuts are going to the wealthy. Any tax cuts should go to the people burdened with income tax now. Those who pay nothing should get no benefit from his tax plan.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

POPULIST

Message 2 of 2
  • populist:  a member or adherent of a political party seeking to represent the interests of ordinary people.

Believing Trump is a populist is one of the best examples of our dystopia's  1984-type of doublethink IMO.  Regardless of his and his administration's actions to the contrary (e.g., most tax cuts to the wealthy), the word populism is constantly used in the news media to describe his politics.  I don't get it.  Can anyone explain why? 

I mean, FDR was a populist who really tried to help ordinary Americans.  Trump's actions are the opposite.  They're typical of any GOP politian's: catering to the already wealthy & powerful.  Only Trump's racism is an added feature & that's not directly connected to populism.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors