Honored Social Butterfly

PELOSI AND HAWAII

I see the left lamenting over the government shut down.  I don't see anyone mentioning Pelosi's method of handing this shut down.  She seems comfortable enough to leave her "unwalled" wealth behind and go to Hawaii for her vacation.  Ok, sharks, circle.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

?

Oh, I don't know. Maybe because it is required by federal law? 

Have you bothered to research the question?  Perhaps you should. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/here-s-how-congress-protected-n772296

You think that the Speaker of the House travels commercially?

https://www.factcheck.org/2008/12/nancy-pelosis-personal-jet/

Another case of posting without doing any research.

Maybe i have been hanging around conservatives too long that I don't check facts.

I can't find anything about her not paying for her own way on a vacation. Her bodyguards and any resources she would need while there, the government would pay for.  I don't think a fact check from 11 years ago is going to answer this question.  

Still, do you really think this will match the cost of Trump's weekly trips?  He did promise to stay in the WH you know. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

I can't find anything about her not paying for her own way on a vacation. Her bodyguards and any resources she would need while there, the government would pay for.  I don't think a fact check from 11 years ago is going to answer this question. 

Can you find anything that said she did?  As far as the fact check, I would believe that it still applies.  Can you find anything to find that it doesn't?  Have you even bothered to research what you are attempting to sell?  From what I see you haven't furnished any sources for any posts.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Richva , just get used to it. All Democrats are bad and all Republicans are good !!  Faux "news" puppets.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I am still waiting for Mexico to pay for "THE WALL".  Or maybe Pink Floyd should pay for it. 

The only group that should not pay for it is American citizens.  This will only serve to increase the nation's deficit.  The congress deserves to stay home.    This is all on the chump in the White House.  Sorry, I meant Trump in the White House.

George
Honored Social Butterfly

So, Trump has shut down the government. the Republicans have announced they are outta town until Trump makes up his mind,  and it is the holiday season when many families take their vacations. Seems a perfect time for Pelosi to take a vacation. 

We all know that she is going to be super busy after Jan 4 saving the government and investigating all the bad things the Snowflake did while there was no adult supervision from Congress. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Republicans must hate Hawaii.  Obama took an annual family vacation there.  Back to his hometown to visit his mother with the grandkids for the Christmas holiday. 

Pelosi goes there while waiting for Trump to tell the Republicans what he will sign. The Republicans announced to the members of their caucus they would have 24 hours notice of a vote so go on home kids!

Trump stays in the White House while Melania flies to Mar-a-Lago to get ready for the big New Year's party they are throwing.  Trump stays behind so he can threaten to close the southern border and end all trade for a few days. Trump also  will be flying down in a day or so.  I count that as two trips for two people instead of one trip for 4 people but heck, it is only taxpayer money. 

I miss having competence in the White House. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

Republicans must hate Hawaii.  Obama took an annual family vacation there.  Back to his hometown to visit his mother with the grandkids for the Christmas holiday. 

Trump also  will be flying down in a day or so.  I count that as two trips for two people instead of one trip for 4 people but heck, it is only taxpayer money. 

Let's examine this.  First Obama's mother died in1995.  His grandmother raised him.  She died in 2008.  His Presidential term: January 20, 2009 – January 20, 2017.  Is there something wrong with the statements in that post?

According to your post, Trump will be flying down in a day or two.  Which other First Lady took a trip to Hawaii by herself and the President followed in a separate airplane.  Wasn't that President named Obama?  So where would Trump have gotten the idea for this?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

TX posted...

According to your post, Trump will be flying down in a day or two. Which other First Lady took a trip to Hawaii by herself and the President followed in a separate airplane. Wasn't that President named Obama? So where would Trump have gotten the idea for this?

============================================================

Lets not forget that the Obama's spent about a month each Christmas in Hawaii.

Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

And still, about half of Bush's and FAR less than trumps.....

"As of September 2016, he had gone on 28 vacations, spanning 217 days. Compare this to Bush's 'time off' (533) and Clinton's (174)."

A look back at the Obama family's big trips over the last eight years

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Esteemed Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@KidBoy2 wrote:

"As of September 2016, he had gone on 28 vacations, spanning 217 days. Compare this to Bush's 'time off' (533) and Clinton's (174)."

You can't argue facts with right wingers, Cent. Obama never spent "about a month" in Hawaii as president. His first year in office, he was there for 11 days. Of course, that might be a month when it comes to republican math. That sure would explain the ballooning deficit on their watch!

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Honored Social Butterfly

Obama's 17-day trip to Hawaii costs taxpayers $4M
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/obamas-17-day-trip-to-hawaii-costs-taxpayers-...
Dec 19, 2013 - Obama's 17-day trip to Hawaii costs taxpayers $4M ... Last year, Obama left for Hawaii before Congress cinched the budget deal to ... on an estimated 18 hour round-trip flying time between Washington and Honolulu and the ...

@KidBoy2 wrote:

Obama's 17-day trip to Hawaii costs taxpayers $4M
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/obamas-17-day-trip-to-hawaii-costs-taxpayers-...
Dec 19, 2013 - Obama's 17-day trip to Hawaii costs taxpayers $4M ... Last year, Obama left for Hawaii before Congress cinched the budget deal to ... on an estimated 18 hour round-trip flying time between Washington and Honolulu and the ...

Trump's christmas vacation last year cost $3M, and he never left the mainland. Trump and his family have already cost the US more in vacation expenses in just his first year in office, than the Obama family did in 8 years. If the cons want to harp on costs, maybe they should pick an expense item where they don't come off sounding like a bunch of hypocrites.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Honored Social Butterfly

Dec 19, 2013 - Obama's 17-day trip to Hawaii costs taxpayers $4M ... Last year, Obama left for Hawaii before Congress cinched the budget deal to ... on an estimated 18 hour round-trip flying time between Washington and Honolulu and the

17 days..not 11 days.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:
Dec 19, 2013 - Obama's 17-day trip to Hawaii costs taxpayers $4M ... Last year, Obama left for Hawaii before Congress cinched the budget deal to ... on an estimated 18 hour round-trip flying time between Washington and Honolulu and the

17 days..not 11 days.

Kidboy  darling,  don't you think that you should choose to get involved in other issues?  I am  sure that you realize that the Trump Administration has spent millions more than Obama did in 8 years. and this is only the second year. come on, you used to criticize Obama for his reckless expenditures. and now is silence from you.  we have all your post from that time would like to see them again?

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

rker posted...

we have all your post from that time would like to see them again?

================================================================

Go for it!!!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Kidboy darling, don't you think that you should choose to get involved in other issues? I am sure .......@rker........This is silly, but by the rules of the left, you just used a sexist term for Kidboy. I'm sure you don't want to do that.
Social Butterfly

@Soosie wrote:
Kidboy darling, don't you think that you should choose to get involved in other issues? I am sure .......@rker........This is silly, but by the rules of the left, you just used a sexist term for Kidboy. I'm sure you don't want to do that.

The "rules of the left"?

Honored Social Butterfly

@Soosie wrote:

Cirice wrote-The "rules of the left"?-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I wouldn` be surprise if the left will  soon have an issue with the term "cowboy". They`ll probable want to change it to Bull Boy or Cattle Man. Cowgirl will still be the same . However it could be considered sexist since most corraled cows are female.LOL

0 Kudos

@KidBoy2 wrote:

17 days..not 11 days.

His first year in office was 2009, which is the year I referenced. His Hawaiian vacation that year lasted 11 days. That is hardly the "month each christmas" you claimed. He left one christmas vacation after 4 days. 4 days isn't a "month" either. You keep referencing the 2013 trip. Did you not even read the dateline from the article you posted?

Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

17 days..not 11 days.

So you are saying that, compared to Trump, Obama's travel was a bargain.  Trump's trips cost $17 Million for direct costs and another $17 million for the Coast Guard, transporting equipment, and other costs. 

Guess what. Trump has been to Mar-a-Lago 17 times, for a grand total of $17 million in flight and protection costs.

The dates of those trips:

• Feb. 3, 2017
  • Feb. 10, 2017
  • Feb. 17, 2017
  • March 3, 2017
  • March 17, 2017
  • April 6, 2017
  • April 13, 2017
  • Nov. 21, 2017
  • Dec. 8, 2017
  • Dec. 22, 2017
  • Jan. 12, 2018
  • Feb. 2, 2018
  • Feb. 16, 2018
  • March 2, 2018
  • March 23, 2018
  • March 29, 2018
  • April 16, 2018

Again, this is including only two subsets of the costs incurred by the federal government. It doesn’t include, Judicial Watch told the AP, things like “airlifting equipment such as the presidential limousines.” Nor does it include all the costs of protection. In July of last year, The Washington Post determined that the Coast Guard had spent about $6.6 million on guarding the beachfront-adjacent property over the course of Trump’s first five visits there. If the other visits were similarly expensive, the overall price tag essentially doubles.

Honored Social Butterfly

@BigLib wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@KidBoy2 wrote:

You can't argue facts with right wingers, Cent. Obama never spent "about a month" in Hawaii as president. His first year in office, he was there for 11 days. Of course, that might be a month when it comes to republican math. That sure would explain the ballooning deficit on their watch!

So true, BigLib. The idiocy of many within a minority group would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic.

Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Trump also  will be flying down in a day or so.  I count that as two trips for two people instead of one trip for 4 people but heck, it is only taxpayer money. 

Let's examine this.  First Obama's mother died in1995.  His grandmother raised him.  She died in 2008.  His Presidential term: January 20, 2009 – January 20, 2017.  Is there something wrong with the statements in that post?

According to your post, Trump will be flying down in a day or two.  Which other First Lady took a trip to Hawaii by herself and the President followed in a separate airplane.  Wasn't that President named Obama?  So where would Trump have gotten the idea for this?

Thank you.  I was mistaken. Obama simple went back to his hometown with his family to spend the Christmas vacation together.  He did that once  a year while Trump does it weekly.   Obama did it to spend time with his family. Trump is doing it to gin up new members for his golf club. Obama was a family man. Trump is a lying weasel who cheats on his wife and brags about it. 

Those were the gist of my points. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

Thank you.  I was mistaken. Obama simple went back to his hometown with his family to spend the Christmas vacation together.  He did that once  a year while Trump does it weekly.   Obama did it to spend time with his family. Trump is doing it to gin up new members for his golf club. Obama was a family man. Trump is a lying weasel who cheats on his wife and brags about it. 

Those were the gist of my points. 

No, the gist of your points was to spread innuendo without fact checking.  Do you are now saying that Trump wants to spend time with his family weekly, or that he flies to Florida to spend Christmas vacation weekly?  Didn't he spend Christmas in Iraq instead of in Florida?   Didn't Obama fly to places like New York for a few hours just for a date night with Michelle?

Is there a constitutional requirement that the President be a family man?  Perhaps you can point out that particular requirement?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Soosie:  I see the left lamenting over the government shut down.  I don't see anyone mentioning Pelosi's method of handing this shut down.  She seems comfortable enough to leave her "unwalled" wealth behind and go to Hawaii for her vacation.  Ok, sharks, circle.

What would you suggest she do as minority leader? She has no power to do anything about the shutdown, that's the job of Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell. So what have they done about it after allowing it to happen in the first place?

Honored Social Butterfly

Trump declared three weeks ago during a White House meeting with Pelosi and Schumer that he would be “proud” to take responsibility for shutting down the government over funding for a border wall.

Regular Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking  Huh, must be some of us just went "delusional" and that original meeting that the President said he would agree to but changed his mind in the 11th hour tactics, was all imagined???

Honored Social Butterfly

@Butterfly565 wrote:

@CriticalThinking  Huh, must be some of us just went "delusional" and that original meeting that the President said he would agree to but changed his mind in the 11th hour tactics, was all imagined???

Right you are, Controlled.....just as he did with the bipartisan immigration bill a year ago.  He's a fraud and can't be trusted.....just as it has finally dawned on McConnell.  Most recall, as a "builder", many contractors said he couldn't be trusted and would renege on contractual agreements.  It's what he does and some call that, "leadership".

Image result for judge judy shaking head gif

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Perhaps both sides, are sitting listening, reading and watching how they have divided this country?

So, I ask, what is the welfare system look like in the new world?

Honored Social Butterfly

I saw this article posted yesterday on Fox and wondered if anyone here would post this and prove that they don't comprehend how the government works.    Apparently that has happened and instead of wondering if those in the RW actually know how the government works, they have proved that they don't.     

Had to laugh at the article:   According to it, Donald is heavily engaged in the shutdown...well except that he is alone in DC, so with whom is he heavily engaged?

Less the RW forgets, the House has passed their bill and are awaiting the Senate to respond, so they should be demanding for Mitch McConnell call the Senate to order.    Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) have not been seen in the Capitol since Saturday, the first day of the partial shutdown. Neither chamber is slated to hold a legislative session until after New Year’s Day

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

I saw this article posted yesterday on Fox and wondered if anyone here would post this and prove that they don't comprehend how the government works.    Apparently that has happened and instead of wondering if those in the RW actually know how the government works, they have proved that they don't.     

Had to laugh at the article:   According to it, Donald is heavily engaged in the shutdown...well except that he is alone in DC, so with whom is he heavily engaged?

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png