When it comes to your workout, there's a good reason not to go it alone. Check out the benefits of exercise buddies.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Our county comissioners dropped PP funding

Message 1 of 16

Gail, I don't care about the details of this case. Yes, I know how local government works, but thanks for the snark.

I was answering your post, and you brought Medicaid into it. I replied that no state has ever eliminated Medicaid funding for Planned Parenthood. You can''t do that without losing your federal Medicaid dollars.

What "inner mingling of funds" in Planned Parenthood? Do you have proof of this? I'm sure the House would love to see it.

As for your oft-repeated claim that we could eliminate Title X and other providers would replace all these women's clinics, it's nonsense. If the state of Louisiana can't provide evidence that Planned Parenthood isn't needed, how do you propose to prove for us that all women's clinics can be defunded? Or do you prefer to make the claim without proving it?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 16

@cat2015 wrote:

Gail, my response was to your post, which claimed that many states and counties had eliminated PP funding. When states attempt to eliminate this funding they're talking about Medicaid.

However, the details are irrelevant. Your point seemed to be that crowd-funding could replace government funding. In the past you've supported eliminating Title X. Government funding is vital to women's clinics, which are vital to the ACA.

The inner mingling of funds within Planned Parenthood was the reason from my understanding that these locals reversed their decision about giving them this $ 1500 for cervical cancer programs in the 1st place.

This was not from a state; at least not directly - it was locals deciding on who to allocate to and how much.  It was not Medicaid funds but money for an array of organizations, functions, services and causes.

You know how local government works, right?

For this particular program - cervical cancer screenings, education, etc.(whatever), yes, crowd funding did work - they turned this Zero receipt of money into several thousands of dollars and nobody had to worry about the inner-mingling of funds.

A win-win.

Yes, Title X could be eliminated tomorrow and things would go on just as normal - with poor women on Medicaid and others on their chosen insurance plan - all the services would be provided; except for abortion and Planned Parenthood could handle those from their donation source(s) or maybe even crowd-funding. 

We could even build more full service clinics for everybody with the funds saved.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 16

Gail, my response was to your post, which claimed that many states and counties had eliminated PP funding. When states attempt to eliminate this funding they're talking about Medicaid.

However, the details are irrelevant. Your point seemed to be that crowd-funding could replace government funding. In the past you've supported eliminating Title X. Government funding is vital to women's clinics, which are vital to the ACA.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 16

@cat2015 wrote:

Gail, I know you want to eliminate all Title X funding. You want to eliminate all women's clinics. When Louisiana tried to eliminate PP funding using your logic that there "many other clinics serving the same purpose," the judge found out that Louisiana had included dentists, veternarians, chiropracters, and so called crisis-pregnancy centers on their list. In other words, there were not a lot of other clinics serving the same need.

Please name a single state that has successfully eliminated their Medicaid funding for Planned Parenthood. Any state that attempts this will have its federal Medicaid funding pulled. We as a country decided decades ago that it was cost-effective to provide women with good reproductive care and basic health services, which was why Title X was passed. The Affordable Care Act depends on the existence of these clinics to work effectively.

Your post to me does not seem to have any bearing on the thread at hand.

This was not Medicaid funding - no local (city / town) government can add Medicaid funding.

This was at best a charitable donation of tax dollars for a cervical cancer screening program.

It was $ 1500 out of a total contribution to many things of around $ 400,000 - I think that is what I read.

They turned this (now lack of $ 1500) into much more via crowd-funding and most likely some politic speak  - I was just asking how they went about it and would it be used for the same purpose.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 16

@cat2015 wrote:

Alferd, do you mean that the county was contributing separately to a women's clinic? This wasn't Medicaid funding, was it?

If it was Medicaid funding, then the county might have problems receiving Medicaid funds from the federal government. States can't choose to eliminate PP Medicaid funding and still receive federal funding for the program.

No that particular funding cut was not medicaid.

It was county funding - not federal - although there's lots of various kinds of funds being carefully and gradually meted out (much of that not at the discretion of the county commissioners) from oil shale, gas drilling, mineral severance, etc.

The closer one gets to the multiple ski resorts, the younger, more athletic, sports-minded, higher income and liberal the population becomes.

It's a little bizarre, because in forty miles up the river valley there are three counties - one of which only has a lower corner affecting a little over six miles of highway - and a couple of communities that function almost exclusively as bedroom communities for the workers in the four ski destination resorts at the top of the valley.

He is useless on top of the ground - he should be under it - inspiring the cabbages... Mark Twain 1894
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 16

Gail, I know you want to eliminate all Title X funding. You want to eliminate all women's clinics. When Louisiana tried to eliminate PP funding using your logic that there "many other clinics serving the same purpose," the judge found out that Louisiana had included dentists, veternarians, chiropracters, and so called crisis-pregnancy centers on their list. In other words, there were not a lot of other clinics serving the same need.

Please name a single state that has successfully eliminated their Medicaid funding for Planned Parenthood. Any state that attempts this will have its federal Medicaid funding pulled. We as a country decided decades ago that it was cost-effective to provide women with good reproductive care and basic health services, which was why Title X was passed. The Affordable Care Act depends on the existence of these clinics to work effectively.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 16

@bk3688 wrote:

Seems to me that is the way it should be.  If you want to support something, support it.  If you don't believe in it or don't want to contribute to it, you do not have to.  What is wrong with that?

The main thing that's wrong with this kind of thinking is that you're talking about health care. You're not talking about charity--you're talking about your county's medical infrastructure. Crowd-funding isn't going to cover these costs forever. When that funding runs out, you will still pay for these women, but you'll pay for them in the emergency rooms.

I didn't realize I could opt out of paying for the Iraq War. How does one opt out of that sort of thing?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 16

Alferd, do you mean that the county was contributing separately to a women's clinic? This wasn't Medicaid funding, was it?

If it was Medicaid funding, then the county might have problems receiving Medicaid funds from the federal government. States can't choose to eliminate PP Medicaid funding and still receive federal funding for the program.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 16

Since this $1500 has now grown and grown by the use of crowd-funding, I think that is great.

The initial amount granted was for cervical cancer screening programs, so maybe crowd-funding is a good way to go for this sort of charitable work instead of it being paid for by local taxpayers.

Wonder if this bounty will still be used for just that function or if your local PP affiliated clinic will share it with other clinics in the area?

Was the crowd-funding promo dedicated to cervical cancer screening programs or was that left out for the greater political hype?

Yes, many states and localities  do not fund Planned Parenthood  clinics for any purpose no matter how good the cause because they have the same restrictions as the Feds have about the mixing of taxpayer funds to the organization.  They fund other clinics for these same purposes.

Maybe your city or town has found a new source of funding for your local Planned Parenthood clinic.  Sure seems that they raised a lot more money.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 16

It's about a bunch of______ _______ . Fill in the colorful term of your choice...deciding on women's access to important healthcare. For those who identify as male and /or are over reproductive age it's probably a non-issue. But we have younger generations to consider anyway. Somday your grand daughter, great grand daughter might need a choice.

Kudos
Views