AARP members get more! Take a look at your member benefits.

Reply
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
546
Views

Re: Ouch! The Truth Hurts

546 Views
Message 1 of 54

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@umbarch64 wrote:


Well....No, I haven't considered following your posts 'in order to be informed'.  I don't have a great deal of confidence in the accuracy of what you post or 'select' to post or your interpretation of what it all means.  

 


I rarely have confidence in many posts, especially if made by someone with a liberal orientation.  If there is a post that I find questionable, I use key words to search for further information.  Then I compare different sources to determine accuracy.  Try it instead of complaining.

 

Candor:  Just for you.

 

This thread is played out...the audience has moved on.   So if you wish to continue this off-topic contention do it on a new thread. Your points in this post in order: 

 

1. Liberal or Conservative, propaganda is always suspect.  The key is to recognize it when you see it.  Kind of like Porn that way.  So-called conservatives offend more often about what is or is not Truth than so-called Liberals. Truth is not in the perception.  Truth simply is and that is the way you have to pursue the evidence. You are among the offenders even if you think it excuseable.  2.  'Key words' may be an indicator whether or not what you see [or hear] is propaganda. In the hands of a skilled user key words can manipulate the reader into a state of mind that obscures the Truth.  I think you had better recognize that.  3.  Selection of the sources you use to 'verify' the Truth has a direct bearing on your conclusion.  Garbage in - garbage out. IF you pick the 'wrong' ones you are forced into drawing the wrong conclusions.  AND it is you to blame for them being wrong.  You've picked highly suspect ones.

 

Do you accept any post, from anyone as valid information without doing some research?  I don't.

 

Of course not.  Don't be absurd.  Euripedes may have been the first to say 'question everything, learn something, answer nothing'.  He certainly was not the last. Famous philosophers have said the same in different ways since his time. I question whether or not you competently do the research you say you do.

 

As far as this particular case, if one does an objective search they would find that there was no valid reason for this woman dragging her young daughter through Mexico and asking for asylum...in fact she was aiming to cross illegally.

 

Irrelevant to the topic of Truth. None of that excuses the blatant propaganda that followed.  You presume to 'know' the mother's motives without sufficient knowledge to do so. You know what you do is flawed and you do it anyway.  As a matter of fact, when it is done to you, you complain vociferously and long....not so? 

 

And are you aware that this young child wasn't separated from her mother?  As far as solving the illegal entry and immigration problem, wouldn't the best solution be to eliminate the reason?  Crack down on employers that hire them.  Then create some sort of guest worker program like was in force some decades ago.

 

Of course I'm 'aware' of that.  I said so and used part of your link to do so. It's irrelevant as far as the Truth in Soosies post, however.  That is what I questioned about her post and that is what I called her out on.

 

The reasons emmigration or migration occur vary widely.  Emmigration for purposes of employment is only one.  You know that's true.  IF you don't, you had better 'do some more research'.  Take all the others into account as well if you wish to tag yourself as a seeker after Truth.  'Belief' doesn't make fact all by itself.  You know that.

Let me say that a different way.  You should know that.

 

Like I said....if you want to continue this, do it elsewhere.  I'm really not trying to convince you of much of anything, you know?  But....there are those out there who remain rational and open to reason and fact.



 

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
546
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
4
Kudos
578
Views

Re: Ouch! The Truth Hurts

578 Views
Message 2 of 54

@MIseker wrote:

@Soosie wrote:
Few, if any of the trash you publish here are. @umbarch64.....the name is Soosie. I'm sure you saw that and chose to call me something else. Then, you say that most of what I put here is trash. Can you please prove that? I have been posting here for some time. I don't remember you talking about trash earlier. Why didn't you do this with each post? I think your statement is a bit strong. Perhaps you are having a bad day. Tell you how this makes me feel. I feel like a female who has been chastised by "Big Daddy." I would hope that as a senior man (I think you are male) that you would find better treatment of any female who wants to post in this group. If you wanted to find fault with the cartoon, do so, but you should not need to go back and call all that I post here trash.

Being female does not make one free of consequences of their free speech. No one can stop anyone from posting trash, including yours. This isnt real life..its an internet forum. I would suggest not playing if you cant handle it. Feigning some kind of emotional hurt when someone calls you out is a hallmark of a true conservative snowflake, and i have seen it used by several here. You got exactly what you asked for when you posted a baiting topic. And i dont care what your compadre thinks either. 


Well said! Very well said!

Report Inappropriate Content
4
Kudos
578
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
589
Views

Re: Ouch! The Truth Hurts

589 Views
Message 3 of 54

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:


Ever hear of plagiarism?

 

Since there was no attribution, the cartoon meme was copied without permission and the image of the magazine was copied without permission, both by @Soosie.

 

I hope she doesn't need a lawyer..........


Are you a lawyer to claim it's plagiarism?  There are many meme's using that cover floating around on the internet. 


One does not need to be a lawyer to be able to spot plagiarism.

 

The fact that there are many memes floating around the internet using that cover is certainly no excuse. There are images of paintings, scripts of films, and manuscripts of books floating around the internet but that doesn't mean that one may use them WITHOUT PERMISSION AND ATTRIBUTION which is exactly what @Soosie has done.

 

Nowhere on the original image at the beginning of this thread is there anything that identifies the author and attributes the post's image to that author. That is plagiarism.

 

To make it clear for you..... PLAGIARISM IS THE ACT OF USING ANOTHER'S THOUGHTS OR LANGUAGE, OR IN THIS CASE, IMAGE WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION AND BY NOT CREDITING THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR.

 

Again, I hope @Soosie has a good attorney if her unauthorized use of an image of a DOCTORED TIME MAGAZINE ever gets the attention of TIME MAGAZINE.

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
589
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
617
Views

Re: Ouch! The Truth Hurts

617 Views
Message 4 of 54

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:


Your previous posts insinuate it is fact, and you even challenge you are not lying about that..prove it you say. yet here you are just dumping it off as satire, and later you say its just an internet meme. In your attemps to troll everyone you are also taking multiple sides of an argument. whats that all about?

 


Trolling?  I wasn't the one following you around consistently....that honor goes to you.  Of course it's the liberal way to blame it on someone else.

 

Emulating the TIME cover indicates it is satire. 

 

sat·ire
ˈsaˌtī(ə)r/
noun
noun: satire
  1. the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

Of course, ALL cartoons are satire. Explain why you jumped in defending it as fact. Won’t do it? Fine,  it’s allhere on this thread

 

So it begins.
Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
617
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
619
Views

Re: Ouch! The Truth Hurts

619 Views
Message 5 of 54

@MIseker wrote:


Your previous posts insinuate it is fact, and you even challenge you are not lying about that..prove it you say. yet here you are just dumping it off as satire, and later you say its just an internet meme. In your attemps to troll everyone you are also taking multiple sides of an argument. whats that all about?

 


Trolling?  I wasn't the one following you around consistently....that honor goes to you.  Of course it's the liberal way to blame it on someone else.

 

Emulating the TIME cover indicates it is satire. 

 

sat·ire
ˈsaˌtī(ə)r/
noun
noun: satire
  1. the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
619
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
5
Kudos
618
Views

Re: Ouch! The Truth Hurts

618 Views
Message 6 of 54

Speaking of truth. I see Trump passed the 5,000 mark of lies and misleading statements.  I think I lost the pool. I did not think he would tell so many so fast. 

Report Inappropriate Content
5
Kudos
618
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
625
Views

Re: Ouch! The Truth Hurts

625 Views
Message 7 of 54

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:


So, did a little two year old girl rattle off the long diatribe to trump, as shown in the cartoon?  Of course not, that should be enough "proof".


Ever hear of satire?


Your previous posts insinuate it is fact, and you even challenge you are not lying about that..prove it you say. yet here you are just dumping it off as satire, and later you say its just an internet meme. In your attemps to troll everyone you are also taking multiple sides of an argument. whats that all about?

 

So it begins.
Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
625
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
631
Views

Re: Ouch! The Truth Hurts

631 Views
Message 8 of 54

@umbarch64 wrote:


Well....No, I haven't considered following your posts 'in order to be informed'.  I don't have a great deal of confidence in the accuracy of what you post or 'select' to post or your interpretation of what it all means.  

 


I rarely have confidence in many posts, especially if made by someone with a liberal orientation.  If there is a post that I find questionable, I use key words to search for further information.  Then I compare different sources to determine accuracy.  Try it instead of complaining.

 

Do you accept any post, from anyone as valid information without doing some research?  I don't.

 

As far as this particular case, if one does an objective search they would find that there was no valid reason for this woman dragging her young daughter through Mexico and asking for asylum...in fact she was aiming to cross illegally.

 

And are you aware that this young child wasn't separated from her mother?  As far as solving the illegal entry and immigration problem, wouldn't the best solution be to eliminate the reason?  Crack down on employers that hire them.  Then create some sort of guest worker program like was in force some decades ago.


Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
631
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
644
Views

Re: Ouch! The Truth Hurts

644 Views
Message 9 of 54

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@umbarch64 wrote:

 

I could have missed it in the linked article I suppose, but what I said is all I saw in the link you provided.  Perhaps it was elsewhere?  Soosie's post didn't say.

 


Have you considered using my post as a starting point for your own research?  Try it.  I've already posted it back when this was 'hot' news.


Well....No, I haven't considered following your posts 'in order to be informed'.  I don't have a great deal of confidence in the accuracy of what you post or 'select' to post or your interpretation of what it all means.  

 

The parents economic or social status is not relevant to the issue of separating children from their families in a land foreign to them all.  You know that full well.....or should.

 

The solution to the immigration [emigration] problem is to figure out how to eliminate the reason[s] immigrants [migrants] find coming here necessary.  You know that too. 

 

 

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
644
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
665
Views

Re: Ouch! The Truth Hurts

665 Views
Message 10 of 54

Post redacted by poster..............

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
665
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22

Top Authors