Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Organized Religion Takes Another Step Into Oblivion

Message 1 of 5

It sounds like she chose a wrong verse, for sure.

Personally, as I've gotten older, the more I believe in the separation of church and state.

I'm more in the Thomas Jefferson camp: I don't care if my neighbor worships one god, many gods, or no god. It neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket. Or something like that.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

The thing I find interesting about any religion is their certainty that they are the only ones who have the truth. Almost every human culture has developed the concept of a deity from Thor to Polynesian stone figures.  Yet in all of human history "we" are the only ones with the truth. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

Yes, that was a nasty display by Borowicz.  Apparently it’s her first term.  So I could cut her a little slack there. But I’ve never seen a legislative body who allows members to give the invocation. That actually seems like a first amendment violation.  Especially if they are always Christian prayers and nothing else.  Most legislative bodies I’ve watched have outside faith leaders give the invocation, and they rotate among different faiths. 

And more importantly, invariably, the message is one of love and guidance for those who govern, to find the wisdom and compassion to provide safety and well-being for those they answer to, the citizens of the state. It’s inclusive and uplifting. Not this fire and brimstone stuff.

If she had any real interest in bringing people to Jesus, that’s not the way to do it. Kindness and inclusivity, and leaving judgment behind, work much better.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

it is going to be an interesting transition from the Christian sects to a more inclusive view of God. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Organized Religion Takes Another Step Into Oblivion

Message 5 of 5

First Muslim woman in Pennsylvania House says invoking Jesus is a 'protest' of her religion

The first Muslim woman to be sworn in to the Pennsylvania House of Representatives said that the prayer immediately proceeding the ceremony earlier this week was a “protest” of her religion.

The prayer by Republican Rep. Stephanie Borowicz in front of the Pennsylvania legislative chamber mentioned Jesus 13 times.

“God forgive us, Jesus, we’ve lost sight of you,” the prayer went. “I, Jesus, am your ambassador today.”

Movita Johnson-Harrell said that although Borowicz did not specifically mention Islam or Muslims, she said she cited a Bible verse at the end of the prayer that is considered a “condemnation” of non-Christians

“Every knee will bow and every tongue will confess, Jesus, that you are Lord,” Borowicz quoted.

Source - https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/first-muslim-woman-in-pennsylvania-house-felt-invoking-jesus...

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.