Once we, USA, were the melting pot, now the boiling pot?

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Once we, USA, were the melting pot, now the boiling pot?

Message 1 of 9

Panjandrum,

Great post as always. ManicProgressive I agree with your post as well. Hopefully, I will not have to deal with Trump being on the 2020 ballot. New Jersey is following her sister States, No Tax Returns , no name on ballot.  With a Democrate as Governor, I hope this time the legislation will not be vetoed.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

@L42010 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Personally, I’ve never much liked the melting pot description. It feels more like a veggie stew, with many different flavors that all work together to be something awesome. 🙂

IMO there are a couple of things happening. One is the diminishing middle class and growing income inequality. It’s like cutting the middle rungs out of a ladder and still expecting those just starting the journey up to all make it to the top. That’s creating a lot of tension.

That, and everyone who isn’t a white Christian male is trying to demand their equal rights and equal power in society.  That often makes white Christian males feel under attack. 

Those two things together are stirring things up like crazy. I think if the first one wasn’t happening, the second one wouldn’t cause as much strife. 

Excellent portraying of the cycle with the ladder!!  We need to be careful about classifying the Christians though, because I do believe there could be many false Christians (yeah, Christian's are indeed forewarned about them).

Re Christians. I just meant that Christian practices historically have taken up space that they don’t necessarily have a right to be in. Like teacher-led Christian prayer in school. And when they get called on it, to require Constitution protections, they often feel it’s indicative of a “war on Christianity.” Someone wiser than me said that “when you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.”  

And I get it. I was used to public Christmas decorations in the city where I grew up. I don’t really have that now. We are so diverse where I live, and while I don’t think Christianity is a minority, it’s certainly not an overwhelming majority.  And I miss the public decorations. I do. My life has changed in this way, and many others, because of diversity.  But to me the greater good is providing space for all people. Not just my childhood memories. I still decorate my house. I still go to a decorated church.  These rights have not been infringed. And in the end, that’s what matters most.  But I do get why people hate change. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

ManicProgressive:   Those two things together are stirring things up like crazy. I think if the first one wasn’t happening, the second one wouldn’t cause as much strife.

Good post and spot on. It certainly doesn't help that we have a president who uses those insecurities, fears, and resentments for his political advantage.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

@nctarheel wrote:

@L42010 wrote:

I can't help but find the irony in the whole we came here, with the exception of the true Native/Indigenous Peoples, and we became known as the melting pot.  Now, in the what might be the middle age of our country, we have become the boiling pot. 

This boiling pot can solely be attributed to DONALD TRUMP himself.

From his name calling in the primaries, to false stories about other candidate's families, to telling people at rallies to punch someone and he'd pay their legal fees, to his anti-Semitic comments and tweets, to his belittling of those in the Black community, to his compliments for Nazis and KKK members, to his xenophobic comments about those not native to the United States, to his comments about feces hole countries, to his alienation of our allies and his love for our enemies, this man had an agenda to destroy this country and is doing a good job of it.

The destruction of the melting pot concept is what they call collateral damage from the actions of this one man.

Hmm, perhaps this is a systemic problem that may have been an underlying problem that just reared its head with his candidacy.  Their "organization" finally found someone they could put on the podium?  He certainly is not helping us at all with keeping the "fire burning" in the situation.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

@L42010 wrote:

I can't help but find the irony in the whole we came here, with the exception of the true Native/Indigenous Peoples, and we became known as the melting pot.  Now, in the what might be the middle age of our country, we have become the boiling pot. 

This boiling pot can solely be attributed to DONALD TRUMP himself.

From his name calling in the primaries, to false stories about other candidate's families, to telling people at rallies to punch someone and he'd pay their legal fees, to his anti-Semitic comments and tweets, to his belittling of those in the Black community, to his compliments for Nazis and KKK members, to his xenophobic comments about those not native to the United States, to his comments about feces hole countries, to his alienation of our allies and his love for our enemies, this man had an agenda to destroy this country and is doing a good job of it.

The destruction of the melting pot concept is what they call collateral damage from the actions of this one man.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Personally, I’ve never much liked the melting pot description. It feels more like a veggie stew, with many different flavors that all work together to be something awesome. 🙂

IMO there are a couple of things happening. One is the diminishing middle class and growing income inequality. It’s like cutting the middle rungs out of a ladder and still expecting those just starting the journey up to all make it to the top. That’s creating a lot of tension.

That, and everyone who isn’t a white Christian male is trying to demand their equal rights and equal power in society.  That often makes white Christian males feel under attack. 

Those two things together are stirring things up like crazy. I think if the first one wasn’t happening, the second one wouldn’t cause as much strife. 

Excellent portraying of the cycle with the ladder!!  We need to be careful about classifying the Christians though, because I do believe there could be many false Christians (yeah, Christian's are indeed forewarned about them).

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

Every time our country closes shop with Shut downs over budget talks or goes into National Emergency shows that we can not handle the responsibilities given to us, no? Oh yeah, we are one of the "great Leaders of the world" and show them by example, no?

Maybe we have to start considering some kind of "civil service exam" for those we hire with our elections?  I mean they get paid and perks paid by the taxpayer....ooops, forgot that went out the window when we let the lobby industry buy our system, no?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Once we, USA, were the melting pot, now the boiling pot?

Message 9 of 9

I can't help but find the irony in the whole we came here, with the exception of the true Native/Indigenous Peoples, and we became known as the melting pot.  Now, in the what might be the middle age of our country, we have become the boiling pot.  Waiting, simmering, stewing to just boil over, no?  Should we still be experiencing these "growing pains" and if so, wouldn't we still be considered in the adolescence stage?  We certainly don't see too many adults handling the situations we are experiencing very well, no?  Do they not wait until a crisis happens and then try to deal with the situation and do clean up?  Maybe we all need to be "grounded" for awhile and "sent to our rooms to think about it"?  Think about all the various "crisis" this country is in.  I certainly do not have the answers, but what I have come to a conclusion is "who can we trust"?  Is that a very good predicament to put ourselves into?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors