Honored Social Butterfly

Of Interest - Public Option Plans

This is an analysis of some of the Public Options plans being designed -

Not by just those Democrats running for POTUS but also included are those which have had legislation introduced in the 116th Congress.

Interesting - but maybe or maybe not what many here were thinking -

I will let you read the link yourself and introduce any areas of discussion -

Kaiser Family Foundation 12/18/2019 - 10 Key Questions on Public Option Proposals 

The Table at the bottom of the analysis gives a summary of each of these plans - I have included all of them even from the candidates that are no longer running because you never know if some aspects of their public option plan might get picked up by others:

Seems we don't lack for many plans -

1.  BIDENThe Biden Plan To Protect & Build On The Affordable Care Act

2.  Buttigieg  Medicare For All Who Want It

3.  Steyer    Every American Has a Right to Health Care

4.  Warren  My First Term Plan For Reducing Health Care Costs In America And Transitioning To Medicare For All

5.  Cardin - S.3 - Keeping Health Insurance Affordable Act of 2019

6.  Stabenow/ Higgins  S 470, HR 1346, Medicare at 50 Act

7.  Schatz  S.489, State Public Option Act

8.  Bennet/ Delgado  S.981 / H.R.2000, Medicare-X Choice Act of 2019

9.  Schakowsky  - H.R.2085, CHOICE Act

10.  Merkley  - S.1261, Choose Medicare Act

11.  DeLauro  - H.R.2452, Medicare for America Act of 2019

NOTES: Candidate proposals are listed by order of introduction within each category. Amy Klobuchar also supports a public option, per her campaign website, but does not outline a specific proposal. Andrew Yang announced his support for giving employees the option to enroll in Medicare-for-all instead of an employer plan. Elizabeth Warren has also introduced a separate proposal for Medicare-for-all; she describes her public option plan as a transition to Medicare-for-all. Congressional proposals are listed by order of introduction within each category. For more detail on congressional bills, see Compare Medicare-for-all and Public Plan Proposals

Honored Social Butterfly

Gail after reading the whole article, and having been a supporter of a single payer option for years. this is what I still think it would be the best approach.
Before we try to institute any kind of plan, we need to curb the pricing of drugs. this should be the primary priority to follow  in any proposed plan.
I still would like to see a single payer option provided by the Government, that will provide basic treatment for all, no opt outs. taxes will have to be increased. that is a given. and a private public option in which private insurers canoffer different benefits for different prices. 
There is not perfect option. and in my book the worse of them all is Medicare for All.

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

This is an analysis of some of the Public Options plans being designed -

Not by just those Democrats running for POTUS but also included are those which have had legislation introduced in the 116th Congress.

Interesting - but maybe or maybe not what many here were thinking -

I will let you read the link yourself and introduce any areas of discussion -

Kaiser Family Foundation 12/18/2019 - 10 Key Questions on Public Option Proposals 

The Table at the bottom of the analysis gives a summary of each of these plans - I have included all of them even from the candidates that are no longer running because you never know if some aspects of their public option plan might get picked up by others:

Seems we don't lack for many plans -

1.  BIDENThe Biden Plan To Protect & Build On The Affordable Care Act

2.  Buttigieg  Medicare For All Who Want It

3.  Steyer    Every American Has a Right to Health Care

4.  Warren  My First Term Plan For Reducing Health Care Costs In America And Transitioning To Medicare For All

5.  Cardin - S.3 - Keeping Health Insurance Affordable Act of 2019

6.  Stabenow/ Higgins  S 470, HR 1346, Medicare at 50 Act

7.  Schatz  S.489, State Public Option Act

8.  Bennet/ Delgado  S.981 / H.R.2000, Medicare-X Choice Act of 2019

9.  Schakowsky  - H.R.2085, CHOICE Act

10.  Merkley  - S.1261, Choose Medicare Act

11.  DeLauro  - H.R.2452, Medicare for America Act of 2019

NOTES: Candidate proposals are listed by order of introduction within each category. Amy Klobuchar also supports a public option, per her campaign website, but does not outline a specific proposal. Andrew Yang announced his support for giving employees the option to enroll in Medicare-for-all instead of an employer plan. Elizabeth Warren has also introduced a separate proposal for Medicare-for-all; she describes her public option plan as a transition to Medicare-for-all. Congressional proposals are listed by order of introduction within each category. For more detail on congressional bills, see Compare Medicare-for-all and Public Plan Proposals

Nice long list of what some people think today. I could add a 1,000 more from what other people think and we could read them for a week, and that is all we will do. Now here are the facts. There will be no new health program produced by these people or others. If Trump looses and lets all hope he does it will take 4 years to clean up his mess. In health care that means getting the ACA back to where it was before Trump, and moving it forwarded so it performs as designed. The SC ruling which could knock out the ACA is not expected until June 20201 which is about 6 months in to the new Presidents term. If Trump is reelected he will I think have ended the ACA before the SC ruling and what we have who knows. Nothing is a good choice. Now all read away or do something to keep and then improve your health care. Get Trump out of office in Nov.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png