Medicare open enrollment begins Tuesday! Visit the AARP Medicare Resource Center for the information you need to make your best choices.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Ocasio-Cortez: World Will End in 12 Years

Message 1 of 13

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

O

casio-Cortez: World Will End in 12 Years

Planet has only until 2030 to stem catastrophic climate change

2018 plus 12 = 2030

Here is  the deal, once that ice melts it's not coming back until the next ice age. The sun will warm the open water and exposed land and that year long icepack will be gone.

End of the world as we know it?

Absolutely

End of the human race, maybe. Some humans may survive, not billions, maybe not even millions.

This wild weather we're having is the system unwinding, the breakdown of stratification, the jet stream is going all over the place because the poles are warming.

Who knows what is going to happen, but it won't be good. Melting ice also means melting permafrost and a huge release of methane, a more potent greenhouse gas then carbon.

It's already to late to cut back on carbon, we need to remove carbon and put it back in the ground.

AOC talks about a Green New Deal, we need that on a world wide scale. It looks like China is going to be the leader of that effort.

While Republicans talk about bringing back coal.

It is my understanding that the Bible does not prescribe a punishment for false prophets.  It just says to beware of false prophets.  According to the Bible, false prophesy is a freebie sin.

What do you personally believe to be a proper punishment for false prophets?

I think false prophets should be tied to a tree, injected with heroin until they are addicted, and, then, while displaying heroin withdrawal symptoms, dowsed with gasoline and set on fire.  That's just my personal opinion.

Excellent idea, and with today's SCOTUS, you might get such a law approved (5-4). To expand a tad, I'd begin the punishment with the birthers, then climate deniers, next Supply siders and end the day with antivaccers. Then wait to see who the new mgmt at Fox would hire, and see if it was necessary to repeat the cycle.

I prefer to start with this false prophet:

Old Witch
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 13

@aruzinsky wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

O

2018 plus 12 = 2030

Here is  the deal, once that ice melts it's not coming back until the next ice age. The sun will warm the open water and exposed land and that year long icepack will be gone.

Absolutely

End of the human race, maybe. Some humans may survive, not billions, maybe not even millions.

This wild weather we're having is the system unwinding, the breakdown of stratification, the jet stream is going all over the place because the poles are warming.

Who knows what is going to happen, but it won't be good. Melting ice also means melting permafrost and a huge release of methane, a more potent greenhouse gas then carbon.

It's already to late to cut back on carbon, we need to remove carbon and put it back in the ground.

AOC talks about a Green New Deal, we need that on a world wide scale. It looks like China is going to be the leader of that effort.

It is my understanding that the Bible does not prescribe a punishment for false prophets.  It just says to beware of false prophets.  According to the Bible, false prophesy is a freebie sin.

I think false prophets should be tied to a tree, injected with heroin until they are addicted, and, then, while displaying heroin withdrawal symptoms, dowsed with gasoline and set on fire.  That's just my personal opinion.

Excellent idea, and with today's SCOTUS, you might get such a law approved (5-4). To expand a tad, I'd begin the punishment with the birthers, then climate deniers, next Supply siders and end the day with antivaccers. Then wait to see who the new mgmt at Fox would hire, and see if it was necessary to repeat the cycle.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 13

@gruffstuff wrote:

I believe people believe what they want to believe. 

I also believe religious texts are written by men, based on what they believe.

I don't think those texts are actually written in heaven by angles in some celestial printing shop.

I think false prophets should be tied to a tree, injected with heroin until they are addicted, and, then, while displaying heroin withdrawal symptoms, dowsed with gasoline and set on fire.

That has happened in the past, it was a driving force of why people came to America, why they still do. The Inquisition, the wars and conflicts between Catholics and Protestants. 

It's going on as we speak, Brexit, the border of Ireland, ISIS.

What I believe is the decisions we make, and the actions we take, define who we are. Not what church  we go to or what religion we subscribe to.

I was raised Christian, so for me the object is to try to be Christ like, but I'm OK with being Buddha like, or Brahma like, or Muhammad like. 

I get the common drift about being a good person, and I take wisdom where I find it.

I also understand that politics then was full of agendas, just like politics now is full of agendas. 

It just goes back to the decisions you make and the actions you take define who you are.

With respect to climate change, the decisions we make, and the actions we take will define who we are, how we will be remembered, and how our descendants will live, how every living thing on the planet will live, or die.

People in the past have used religion to justify wars and great evil, they still do. Some people use religion to justify a war on the planet, which in most or all religions is God's creation. Some people worship money and kill the planet we live on in the name of progress, economic growth, piles of money, like a high score in a game.

People believe what they want to believe.

You didn't answer my question. 

Also, what do you think would be a proper punishment for someone who verbosely talks around a question without actually answering it?

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 13

I believe people believe what they want to believe. 

I also believe religious texts are written by men, based on what they believe.

I don't think those texts are actually written in heaven by angles in some celestial printing shop.

I think false prophets should be tied to a tree, injected with heroin until they are addicted, and, then, while displaying heroin withdrawal symptoms, dowsed with gasoline and set on fire.

That has happened in the past, it was a driving force of why people came to America, why they still do. The Inquisition, the wars and conflicts between Catholics and Protestants. 

It's going on as we speak, Brexit, the border of Ireland, ISIS.

What I believe is the decisions we make, and the actions we take, define who we are. Not what church  we go to or what religion we subscribe to.

I was raised Christian, so for me the object is to try to be Christ like, but I'm OK with being Buddha like, or Brahma like, or Muhammad like. 

I get the common drift about being a good person, and I take wisdom where I find it.

I also understand that politics then was full of agendas, just like politics now is full of agendas. 

It just goes back to the decisions you make and the actions you take define who you are.

With respect to climate change, the decisions we make, and the actions we take will define who we are, how we will be remembered, and how our descendants will live, how every living thing on the planet will live, or die.

People in the past have used religion to justify wars and great evil, they still do. Some people use religion to justify a war on the planet, which in most or all religions is God's creation. Some people worship money and kill the planet we live on in the name of progress, economic growth, piles of money, like a high score in a game.

People believe what they want to believe.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 13

@KidBoy2 wrote:
The headline for ManicProgressive's link...

Planet has only until 2030 to stem catastrophic climate change, experts warn

===================================================

More scare tactics but not close to what OC said she said World Will End in 12 .
Years.

Extending this Republican logic, if you drive your car over the edge of the Grand Canyon, there's no problem, because you won't experience the severe decelleration syndrome for what will seem like a long time. The fact applying the brakes during that time will have no effect on the outcome seems to escape the thought process of the neoRepublican.

What we'll reach in AT MOST 12 years is "the tipping point". If we have NOT reduced CO2/greenhosue gas emissions by a considerable amount by then, the global warming that will melt the icecaps flood the homes of over a billion people and destroy our most fertile cropland CANNOT be stopped. But like the unfortunate driver in my example, GOPers want to believe they can "apply the brakes" AFTER they move past the tipping point.

Elected Republicans pose an existential threat to the American people that dwarfs anything that will come from all the refugees their policies create.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 13

@gruffstuff wrote:

O

2018 plus 12 = 2030

Absolutely

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 13

O

2018 plus 12 = 2030

Absolutely

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 13

@Panjandrum wrote:

aruzinsky:  Demonstrably insane, as are her constituents. 

I suppose if a person takes every utterance literally, that might be the case. Fortunately, most don't do that and understand what she meant.

People, who use hyperbole, should be shot.  Oops!

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 13

@ManicProgressive wrote:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/07/world/climate-change-new-ipcc-report-wxc/index.html

She reads.

A lot.

As she would say, "I, you know, like read, you know, like uh lot."

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 13
The headline for ManicProgressive's link...

Planet has only until 2030 to stem catastrophic climate change, experts warn

===================================================

More scare tactics but not close to what OC said she said World Will End in 12 .
Years.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors