From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Obamacare - The UN-Affordable Care Act

Message 11 of 25

Olderscout66:  Before they got ACA or Medicaid their medical care was paid for by people WITH insurance because (funny thing) they did not allow themselves or their kids to sicken and die, they went to the ER for their "personal care" so office visits cost $2500-$5000 instead of $150.

Good point, but that basic fact is forever lost on many because the thought that some people (deemed to be undeserving) might be getting a penny of their tax money overrides common sense. I thank goodness every day that I'm not consumed with such pettiness and can see the bigger picture....an ounce of prevention really is worth a pound of cure.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 25

@rk9152 wrote:

@umbarch64 wrote:

Actually, the poster said that the Constitution's guarantee of life referred to the taking of a life (murder for example). And yes, the government should do the protecting. But the Constitution also established freedom from government as part of it's declaration of individual rights. Remember, limited government was the basis of the Constitution.

The Constitution as stated is incorrect. and obviously interpreted in an incorrect manner. I guess we all have our own opinion as to interpreting the Constitution as is seen fit to our own causes.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 25

@umbarch64 wrote:

When you have all execises your treasured 'right' to opine [that's free speech by a different name], maybe you can get down to cases and agree that Life is a Right as well and may well have a superior moral imperative attached to it than blowing _ _ _ _ _ into the wind. 

I just scanned the post quickly.  I have to go back and read more carefully. From the scan it seemed the poster argued the founders intended to mean life was intended to be protected from the Government. Well...in my view it is the Government that should do the protecting don't you think?

I mean...with us being a country with a Government established 'by the People', who in hell else is there to do that?  Like I said I have to read it more carefully, but that was my reaction to the scan I had time for.  Something is serously out of whack here and has to be set right. 

Actually, the poster said that the Constitution's guarantee of life referred to the taking of a life (murder for example). And yes, the government should do the protecting. But the Constitution also established freedom from government as part of it's declaration of individual rights. Remember, limited government was the basis of the Constitution.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 25

When you have all execises your treasured 'right' to opine [that's free speech by a different name], maybe you can get down to cases and agree that Life is a Right as well and may well have a superior moral imperative attached to it than blowing _ _ _ _ _ into the wind. 

I just scanned the post quickly.  I have to go back and read more carefully. From the scan it seemed the poster argued the founders intended to mean life was intended to be protected from the Government. Well...in my view it is the Government that should do the protecting don't you think?

I mean...with us being a country with a Government established 'by the People', who in hell else is there to do that?  Like I said I have to read it more carefully, but that was my reaction to the scan I had time for.  Something is serously out of whack here and has to be set right. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 25

@GailL1 wrote:

Republicans didn't cause them NOT to enroll but I have a question for you that I have never found an answer to concerning the ACA or even any private universal coverage plan.

How do we know there are enough young and healthy, or even just healthy, in the individual marketplace to balance out the premiums?

Seems like what we are ending up with in this individual marketplace are the people who were insured prior to the ACA - the self employed, the people who could not get it via their employers and who opted to buy it and who could get approved for it.

Who we added were all the people who had pre-existing conditions - they probably aren't considered healthy.

We added people who weren't insured via their workplace and many of them ended up on the expanded Medicaid programs - so they aren't counted in individual marketplace premium balance between sick and healthy.

Let's see we have some of the young and healthy still being considered a dependent on their parents policy regardless of whether or not they are actual dependents.  In fact some of them maybe married with children of their own with or without a spouse.

A lot of the young and healthy are in the Service so they won't be in the individual marketplace.

So how do we know that there are enough healthy people to balance out the sick ones in the individual marketplace to even make a difference in the premium rates?

Insurance claims and expenses are extremely predictable over very large groups of people.  Insurers don't know "who" specifically will get sick, but they know from claims history that X% will get cancer, and X% will need statin drugs, and X% will get pregnant and have complications.  And so on.  (Medical underwriting).   When I worked for the State of Maryland managing health benefits, we had 250,000 covered lives.   That risk is much easier to predict than my mom's old employer, a self-employed home builder, who covered 16 people.    My mom's health insurance premiums swung widely year to year.  

So they know what America's health risks are, as a whole.   What they weren't completely sure of was who would jump into the market and when.  It was logical that sicker people would scramble for Obamacare first.   Healthier people would step up later.  But there are enough healthy people to support all the insurance products written, if we can create a stable market place where almost everyone participates in some fashion.  

A large insurer, like your local Blue Cross Blue Shield,  spreads the risk of its multiple product lines across one another through reinsurance.  So if they cover both employer-provided insurance "and" a product in the Obamacare market place, they can spread the risk based on historical claims data. 

These large premium increases under Obamacare were a probability, as the entire market changed.   Part of Obamacare was to fund "risk corridors" like they did with Bush's huge Medicare Prescription Part D expansion.   Treasury bonds would pay for unpredicable risks as more unhealthy people entered the market.   "If" needed. But I don't think Congress ever funded that part of Obamacare, and that freaked out insurers.  Part of the huge premium hikes and the market withdrawals is the fact that insurance professionals are extremely conservative fiscally.  They don't take crazy chances on stuff.  And when the regulatory atmosphere is psycho, like it has been, they get really jumpy and scared.  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 25

Trumpcare - The No Care Unaffordable Care Act - but with all the easy access anyone could ever want...........................................................

I have all the Access I could ever want to buy Bill Kochs 20 Million Dollar Mansion on Cape Cod

It's too expensive so what good does just getting access do for anyone

Hey, But I Know I Could Be Speaker of the House or the President of the USA and do a Good Job - who couldn;t if all that was required was to shut down all the programs that my Poorer Citizens required and then give all the money I saved to the Rich People who pay for my Re-Election Campaigns 

Eazy Peezy

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 25
Older posted..
Nope - that's fake news. Total enroled in ACA 12.4Million, total increase in Medicaid 10.6 Million.

Before they got ACA or Medicaid their medical care was paid for by people WITH insurance because (funny thing) they did not allow themselves or their kids to sicken and die, they went to the ER for their "personal care" so office visits cost $2500-$5000 instead of $150.

==================================================

FYI...it shows the truth not the fake news that many on the left use.

Contrary to goals, ER visits rise under Obamacare - USA Today
www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/.../emergency...rise-under.../26625571/
May 4, 2015 - The aim of Obamacare was to reduce ER visits, but that hasn't happened. ... Contrary to goals, ER visits rise under Obamacare ..... Although the numbers should level off as people get care to keep their illnesses under control,

============================================

Ninety-seven percent of Obamacare’s “newly insured” are from Medicaid expansion

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/10/21/ninety-seven-percent-of-obamacares-newly-insured-are-from-medi...

The Obama administration has been bragging that nine million more Americans now have health insurance, thanks to Obamacare. But just like with most numbers cited to support the government takeover of health care in America, that “9 million” figure is deceptive.

We were told that 48 million Americans lacked affordable health insurance and something had to be done, but even five years after the passage of Obamacare, 33 million Americans are still uninsured.

If you dig deeper into the actual numbers and realize what really happened with those 9 million “newly insured”, there’s little reason to cheer.

The number of Americans with health insurance increased by 9.25 million in 2014, the first year that two key provisions of Obamacare took place: the subsidies for coverage purchased through the exchanges and Medicaid expansion. And according to recent research by The Heritage Foundation, out of that 9.25 million, “the vast majority of the increase was the result of 8.99 million individuals being added to the Medicaid rolls.”

In other words, over 97 percent of last year’s newly insured Americans were from Medicaid expansion.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 25

@Olderscout66 wrote:
.If the "fine" were meanaingful, we would not still have all those uninsured healthy young people who WILL need medical treatment when they suffer accidents or illness, but are being allowed to free-load because Republicans know that is how they can keep ACA from making MAJOR reductions in health care costs.

Republicans didn't cause them NOT to enroll but I have a question for you that I have never found an answer to concerning the ACA or even any private universal coverage plan.

How do we know there are enough young and healthy, or even just healthy, in the individual marketplace to balance out the premiums?

Seems like what we are ending up with in this individual marketplace are the people who were insured prior to the ACA - the self employed, the people who could not get it via their employers and who opted to buy it and who could get approved for it.

Who we added were all the people who had pre-existing conditions - they probably aren't considered healthy.

We added people who weren't insured via their workplace and many of them ended up on the expanded Medicaid programs - so they aren't counted in individual marketplace premium balance between sick and healthy.

Let's see we have some of the young and healthy still being considered a dependent on their parents policy regardless of whether or not they are actual dependents.  In fact some of them maybe married with children of their own with or without a spouse.

A lot of the young and healthy are in the Service so they won't be in the individual marketplace.

So how do we know that there are enough healthy people to balance out the sick ones in the individual marketplace to even make a difference in the premium rates?

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 25

@j868138h wrote:

If Obama care is so good - why are all the insurance companies bailing out - AND, more importantly, with premiums rising to levels beyond the ability of many if not most to pay - and deductibles so high that the coverage is essentially worthless - really a $10,000 deductible - absent a catastrophic illness, you'll never get there and after the stiff premium, can you afford deductibles that high???

It needs to be repealed and replaced with a market driven plan that includies subsidies for those who really need them. The failure of this Democrat driven plan rammed down the throats of all Americans is proof positive of why the government should NOT be in the health care or insurance business. Other than the DoD and parts of Homeland Security the government doesw not do much well and has politicized so much of government that an unbiased agency that is not driven by aganda and left wing ideology is rare indeed...

More fake news. Yes the deductables for FAMILY coverage on the bronze plans is $12,393, BUT the max oop is $13,810.

The average deductible for 2017 bronze plans marks the first time this average has crossed the $6,000 threshold. Compared to 2016’s average of $5,731, the 2017 average bronze plan deductible for individuals is 6% higher ($6,092). For families enrolled in bronze plans, the average deductible is over $12,000 in 2017.

Cost-Sharing Category2017 Avg. for Individuals2017 Avg. for Families
Deductible (Medical)$6,092$12,393
Max Out-of-Pocket Costs$6,904

$13,81

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 25

@KidBoy2 wrote:
Older posted..

Question for GOPers: IF "Obamacare" is unafordable, why are there 24 MILLION Americans who HAVE insurance now than there were before Obamacare?

=====================================================

Thanks for asking.

Most that are new are on Medicaid...a program that was around well before Obamacare..and its FREE to them. Nope - that's fake news. Total enroled in ACA 12.4Million, total increase in Medicaid 10.6 Million.

Many that are on Obamacare that are not on Medicaid are getting a good part of their Obamacare paid by taxpayers even if they could afford to pay for their insurance..the "something for nothing" crowd that the Democrats depend on for votes. Before they got ACA or Medicaid their medical care was paid for by people WITH insurance because (funny thing) they did not allow themselves or their kids to sicken and die, they went to the ER for their "personal care" so office visits cost $2500-$5000 instead of $150.

Its also a law that you must have health insurance or be fined.If the "fine" were meanaingful, we would not still have all those uninsured healthy young people who WILL need medical treatment when they suffer accidents or illness, but are being allowed to free-load because Republicans know that is how they can keep ACA from making MAJOR reductions in health care costs.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors